What's new

Criterion's Eclipse line (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would hope that Criterion/Eclipse would look into bringing some of the remaing Michael Powells out on dvd: ONE OF OUR AIRCRAFT ARE MISSING, OH, ROSALINDA!, THE SMALL BACK ROOM, THE QUEEN'S GUARD, HONEYMOON, and GONE TO EARTH (in its original format/coupled with the Selznick/Mamoulian truncated version THE WILD HEART). I also hope that they portal their remaining Home Vision/Janus VHS films (Powell's THE ELUSIVE PIMPERNAL, MAJOR BARBARA, ANDROCLES AND THE LION, Ophuls' LE PLASIR, THREE CASES OF MURDER, THE WOMAN IN QUESTION, LAST HOLIDAY (without Queen Latifah), THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE (the second funniest film ever made), THE WOMAN IN QUESTION, SPITFIRE, STORM IN A TEACUP, LA RONDE, CORRIDOR OF MIRRORS) onto dvd.
Two other points: Whatever happened to the long delayed until never Criterion's ld of Orson Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT? (and would a Criterion dvd be possible for Welles' BLACK MAGIC?)
Since Image is doing a deluxe edition of Dassin's THE NAKED CITY, can a revisit to Dassin's BRUTE FORCE be far off?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I hope Criterion gives us plenty more of the British titles that are controlled by Janus.......

for example:

THE PRIVATE OF HENRY VIII (a decent print....once and for all)
THE PASSING OF THE THIRD FLOOR BACK - a film I have always wanted to see
THE STARS LOOK DOWN
MAJOR BARBARA
THE MAN IN GREY
PERFECT STRANGERS
THE SEVENTH VEIL
I SEE A DARK STRANGER
THE BLUE LAMP
THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF OUR LIFE
THE BELLES OF ST. TRINIAN'S

....and those are only titles taken from "The Great British Films".

If MGM never gets around ti issueing the David Lean DVD set with "This Happy Breed" and "In Which We Serve", you can add those too.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Oh....and don't forget the wonderful Alec Guinness "LAST HOLIDAY"

Blu

Screenwriter
So have they decided for sure if they are going to offer the Eclipse line as a subscriber yet?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully like the Criterion line, they'll mix things up a little and not stick solely to art-house fare.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of "theme" sets come out of this line.

There's a ton of great Noirs from the likes of Universal, Columbia, Paramount & Fox (now that they've killed their noir line) that may never see the light of day on DVD.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
From what I gather from their statement, I assume that they'll only be using films they own the rights to....i.e. Janus Films.

I hope, though, that they do not ignore the English films for the "foreign" titles.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Nice list. I'd LOVE to have Corridor of Mirrors on DVD and add another vote for The Blue Lamp ... not that there is a vote ...

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would love it if Criterion would bring out a double-discer of THE MAGIC BOX (1951) biography of William Friese Greene, the inventor of the motion picture camera (or a pioneer at the very least). The cast was amazing: Robert Donat, Maria Schell, Peter Ustinov, Laurence Olivier, Michael Redgrave, Margaret Rutherford, Glynis Johns, Stanley Holloway, Leo Genn, Joan Hickson, Emlyn Williams, Eric Portman, Roland Culver. From an historical context alone, it merits a Special Edition. Does anyone know who owns it? The imdb mentions Viacom. Would that mean Paramount?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

That would be my guess. Sort of like the Janus films set, just DVDs of the films with no extras.

BTW, does anyone have that set?

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
It has been stated that Eclipse's films will almost exclusively be barebones with minimal restoarion. These will be films from Janus and any package deals they can put together for licensing, it is doubtful that they will get their films from any of the Hollywood majors considering that these will be sold at an MSRP of $15 each.

AlexNoir

Agent
Charles H;

In Ebert's "Great Movies" review of Chimes at Midnight, he mentioned that a DVD was being prepared for 2007 release, though I don't know whom by. I'm eagerly waiting it, though.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Watched CRISIS from the Bergman set last night.

Nice transfer (even though the film is not up to Bergman's later films). Looks to be the start of an excellent line of DVDs!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
apparently the third series is an ozu series

LATE OZU

Early Spring

Tokyo Twilight

Equinox Flower

Late Autumn

The End of Summer

and the fourth series is
"three films by Raymond Bernard, an unknown master of 1930s French cinema, whose Les Misérables is considered by many to be the finest screen adaptation of Victor Hugo’s novel, and whose Wooden Crosses is one of cinema’s strongest antiwar films."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks