1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Special to start at Barnes and Noble

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by scribe1964, Jun 25, 2009.

1. scribe1964

scribe1964 Member

Hello, everyone. I just wanted to announce that starting July 7th, Barnes & Noble is going to have a special on Criterion DVDs - 30% off. It's only going to be certain Criterion titles and I believe they're going to change the titles every week. probably through the end of the month. That's all the details I have at the moment.

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Well-Known Member

Ric:

GREAT news, but you may want to ask one of the mods to move it to the "Bargains and Deals" section of the forum...

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

Cheers I might be interested then

4. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Well-Known Member

Jack
    Only issue is sometimes they don't get in all the releases anyhow. Onyl two stores in the MPLS twin cities area got Last Year at Marienbad on BLURAY and when Seventh Seal was released on BLU only 1 store got the BD release.

They need to order in all new releases and decide to stock more once they sale out of most titles.

Very few stores seem to stock the Criterion titles at all esp since 98% of Borders stores don't sale these types of releases any longer. Best Buy doesn't stock Criterion hardly at all except for maybe Ben. Button.

Barnes and Noble could have the brick on mortar stores cornered by making sure these titles are stocked and on time.

5. vanourney

vanourney Member

Oh cool so 30% of the jacked up 300% increase that Barnes and Noble charges for DVDs should mean that with the discount, I can purchase a Criterion DVD at Barnes and Noble for around $50 when I could still purchase it on Amazon for $25.

6. sestamuch

sestamuch Well-Known Member

Only certain Criterion? Either way thanks for that.

7. sestamuch

doublepost

8. sestamuch

doublepost

9. sestamuch

doublepost

10. Albert_M

Albert_M Well-Known Member

Most titles are probably the fuill $40, so that would take them down to $28 and if you have a B&N card, you would get another 10%. Not as great as some other deals that appear at times online, but not many stores carry those titles and less than $28 is not too bad for one of them.

11. scribe1964

scribe1964 Member

I spoke to my source (who is a music manager at my local Barnes & Noble) and I have a couple of corrections. He said the sale will actually start July 14th and ALL Criterion titles will be 50% off. I'm pretty sure it's DVD only and not BluRay.

12. haroldS

haroldS Well-Known Member

B & N has already posted a link to next week's newsletter or weekly offers and it mentions the 50% off Criterion sale. But it dosn't specially state all Criterion products or titles are included.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    Cool. I'll probably pick up a couple titles w/ this deal.

Thanks.

EDIT: Hmmm... They don't seem to be including a couple recent BD releases in this sale, eg. Seventh Seal.

_Man_

14. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Well-Known Member

And remember, if you're a B&N member, there are some coupon codes you can use.

I ordered Magnificent Obsession, Alexander Korda's Private Lives and Postwar Kurosawa (and picked up Quincy, M.E. S1 & 2 for $10.79 from their clearance sale as well.) Even with the sales tax, these were cheaper here than during the upcoming DD sale. And with the coupon, the Kurosawa came out cheaper than the Korda.

15. Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman Well-Known Member

You may have better luck at a B&M location. I went to one yesterday morning and picked up both For All Mankind and The Seventh Seal for 50% off, plus used the member coupons for each. Total for both came to $33.xx after tax.

Even better: Seventh Seal wasn't in stock, so they ordered it for me in-store and will have it shipped to my house for free. Don't know if that's a usual thing, but I came away very pleased with my shopping experience.

16. Tim-H.

Tim-H. Well-Known Member

Amazon is currently selling many Criterion BDs for 19.99, perhaps in response to the B&N deal.
    Unfortunately, Seventh Seal is not among them.

17. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Well-Known Member

Craig Beam
    I usually avoid Barnes & Noble like the plague because of their absurdly high prices, but this offer ROCKS. Yesterday I ordered HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR and CHARADE (free shipping!), and today I ordered WAGES OF FEAR and LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD (both blu-rays). $19.99 bucks each, with free shipping.

I might just go back again a few more times before the sale ends.... :D

18. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Well-Known Member

Elizabeth S
    Some titles were added online today which weren't there yesterday, including "The Seventh Seal" (DVD and BD).

If you're a AAA member, don't forget the discount link, plus there is a 15% off code (from the most expensive item) AAASUMMER9.

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/215/discounts/retail/partner/barnes_and_noble/index.htm

I'm going to order a few more tonight, plus the DD and DVD Planet sales are live, so I will be busy shopping!

19. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Well-Known Member

Picked up these;

Seven Samurai
    Sword of Doom
    Yojimbo/Sanjuro 2-pack (used a coupon to get and extra 10% off this title)
    The Third Man
    The Last Emperor (4-disc version)

Very happy. Was going to get Seventh Seal blu-ray, but I don't want to get it and find out my player can't handle Region A discs. That's an expensive mistake if made.