What's new

Criterion Releases Brazil on Blu Next Week (1 Viewer)

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
It seems like we're getting the contents of the excellent 3-disc DVD set with the addition of a new HD transfer. Right now the set can be had from Amazon for about $21, plus tax (in my state, anyway).
How is it possible that I didn't see a thread about this here?* I just learned about this by accident about 5 minutes ago! No DVD set that I am aware of surpassed the quality of the supplemental materials. Terry Gilliam does not keep his opinions to himself in his commentary. Getting all of that again with a much-needed HD version of the director's cut of the film portends a real treat. I can't wait!
*"Mistakes? We don't make mistakes."

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I was able to order this thru the Barnes and Noble sale. As I recall, HTF posted the press release.
And my admiration for this set goes back to the Criterion Laserdisc.
Actually, it goes back to the AMC Glen Lakes, which brought in a print of the international cut and showed it in Dallas. That was before Criterion even had the movie in its sights.
Looking forward to seeing this again.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Steve Tannehill said:
I was able to order this thru the Barnes and Noble sale. As I recall, HTF posted the press release.
And my admiration for this set goes back to the Criterion Laserdisc.
Actually, it goes back to the AMC Glen Lakes, which brought in a print of the international cut and showed it in Dallas. That was before Criterion even had the movie in its sights.
Looking forward to seeing this again.
Somehow I missed any reference before now. No harm done though!
I haven't watched Brazil since 2004 or so. I think it may play somewhat differently now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm waiting for the review copy to arrive, hopefully today. Oddly, Criterion's releases for December 11th are already here.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
BTW, Ron did post the press release on September 17th. The thread got a goodly amount of traffic at the time. It can be found here.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
MattH. said:
BTW, Ron did post the press release on September 17th. The thread got a goodly amount of traffic at the time. It can be found here.
Thanks. I guess I was busy and missed it.
This used to be a really popular title around here. Candidly, I would have expected more traffic!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Matt - the ONLY thing I'm dying to know is - is the Love Conquers All version in FULL HD, upconverted 1080i (my guess) or SD?
I've already paid for my Amazon order of it (cheaper than BN, amazingly, even with the sale - $21 to match a best buy sale) so I'm getting it anyway and I have the single anamorphic dvd criterion and the old criterion box set, so this is my third purchase of Criterion Brazil lol

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/325657/criterion-releases-brazil-on-blu-next-week#post_4008124
Matt - the ONLY thing I'm dying to know is - is the Love Conquers All version in FULL HD, upconverted 1080i (my guess) or SD?
I've already paid for my Amazon order of it (cheaper than BN, amazingly, even with the sale - $21 to match a best buy sale) so I'm getting it anyway and I have the single anamorphic dvd criterion and the old criterion box set, so this is my third purchase of Criterion Brazil lol

Well, the review copy did come in today, and I plan to work on it tomorrow. I'll have that info up for you then. I'm doing Purple Noon tonight.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just cancelled my order from BN and switched to Amazon, where it is cheaper.
Of course, nothing compares to what the original laserdisc cost...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks Matt!
Figured I'd get Purple Noon in store at BB if they still have that sale on. I'm going to have to wait on the Qatsi box until the next BN Sale though lol. Being a fan of Talented Mr. Ripley really looking forward to PN

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Moe Dickstein said:
Thanks Matt!
Figured I'd get Purple Noon in store at BB if they still have that sale on. I'm going to have to wait on the Qatsi box until the next BN Sale though lol. Being a fan of Talented Mr. Ripley really looking forward to PN
I like both films....if you've not seen PN before, it will be interesting to see what you think. They're quite different in many ways.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
PN is sitting on the shelf now, going to look at it sooner rather than later. Probably going to have to look at Brazil again first, I've been controlling my urges until this disc came out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks