1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

119 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

53 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Yeah, I'm 33 so I fit that.It's almost pathological the way they hate this film over there, not least because it's a Stanley Kramer film. The tone over there is very much black/white in that x movies are acceptable and worthy and y movies are not, and if you don't "get" that then wow are you a dumbass. There are a lot of smart and accomplished people over there who share some wonderful and enlightening thoughts, but there also seems to be a sport of who can be the wittiest algonquin round table champion of attack and put-downs to prove one's worth and superiority. It's a lot like the cool kids in high school hating on everyone else. But I carry on my Quixotic participation nonetheless.

2. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Trouble?

Having any trouble?

3. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    "YES and we don't need any help from you!"

William Ferry and ROclockCK like this.
  4. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    "Well!"

[​IMG]

William Ferry likes this.
  5. darkrock17

darkrock17 Well-Known Member

Andrew McClure
    Jack looks different in Mad World movie then he did on his show. I guess TV really did make him look 39.

6. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    have to agree with you Bruce; have checked it out a few times, like the talkback threads on ACIN.

and not to throw an analogy in here, but if that forum thinks it's Ivy League, well then I am happy to be B10, really who has the better record!

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Well-Known Member

One of my fondest memories in the theater was watching the 40th anniversary screening of this at the Cinerama Dome... sitting next to the late Vincent Schiavelli. I got to tell him after the screening how much I liked his cookbooks (which are great) and he was taken aback.

8. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    400 or 500 seats?!

You must be a 40- or 50- something geezer. As a 60-something geezer, I remember when seating capacity was in the thousands, not the hundreds.

The Radio City Music Hall had 6,200 seats. The Fox in my hometown of St. Louis had 5,000. The Chicago (in Chicago, obviously) had 3,900.

I saw movies at the Fox where all 5,000 seats were taken!

Now, having said that, I saw MAD WORLD at the Martin Cinerama, which had 913 seats. But that was considered a rather small firstrun theater in 1964.

RolandL and ahollis like this.
  9. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    I defended Stanley Kramer over there, too, and they called me a $%# idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, know-nothing loser who wouldn't know a good movie if it came up and kissed his $%#@.

Speaking of Kramer, something occurred to me the other day when TCM had a Kramer festival.

I watched most of Ship of Fools the other day, for the first time, and was impressed that everyone in it was giving a good performance.

And then it occurred to me that that was Kramer's great ability -- he was good with actors.

The seven movies he directed from The Defiant Ones (1958) through Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) -- four of which received Best Picture nominations -- resulted in 16 acting nominations (and two wins).

There were four acting nominations each for The Defiant Ones, Judgment at Nuremberg and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (in all four acting categories for the last one.) Ship of Fools got three, and Inherit the Wind one.

This to me shows he was a good director, regardless of any other considerations. Mad World shows just as much as the others that he was good with actors. I think everyone in it gives a good performance, no exceptions.

William Ferry and Mark B like this.
  10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Stanley Kubrick, in our first discussion about Spartacus, asked me if I thought it was one of the greatest films ever made, and I had to tell him that in my opinion it was not. However I loved the film. It was on that basis, that he agreed to work with me. It was the first point on which we agreed.Neither is Mad World.But one of the things that makes MW work, are its excesses - all of which were a part of its master plan. It's a huge film, filled with over-the-top performances, that generally work within its framework. There are no subtle, layered performances in MW. Everything is right there in front of you.Possibly the most important factor, one one that makes the film both memorable, and for many, inclusive of yours truly, a not so guilty pleasure, is its sheer gargantuan size. And part of that size is its technical format of Ultra-Panavision 70 coupled with rectified projection, on a huge 50-70 foot curved screen in a huge venue, while being shared with anywhere from 750-5000 other patrons.I've seen the MGM/Fox Blu-ray on my home theater screen, and it's a wonderful reminder of the true visceral experience of seeing it in UP70, but that very specific experience may be what separates the mind sets of people, and the way that some react to the film.MW is one of those unique film experiences that is ultimately greater than the sums of its parts, which draws fans together half a century later.RAH

11. BarryR

BarryR Well-Known Member

BARRY RIVADUE
    I feel blessed to have seen MMMMW in a theater in 1964 and when reissued 1969 with a responsive audience. Alas, not on the largest of screens but still impressive. However, what impresses me most now is how it sustains comedy momentum with its characters over a long running time. What a brilliantly structured script! Not just that, but what movie has so many cherished quoted lines as seen here?!

:D

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    "I think we're going to need a bigger boat.""Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.""I think maybe he went out, for a paper or something."RAH

13. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

A lot of thinking there, Robert, I think.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    "Say, where did you get that funny accent? Are you from Harvard, or something?"

15. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    In a way, I'm glad 5,000-seat megatheaters don't exist anymore. Can you imagine thousands of bright cell phone/iPad screens flickering throughout the auditorium? And people talking, getting up and walking around, babies crying. It would be like attending a sporting event at a stadium. No thanks.

16. BarryR

BarryR Well-Known Member

BARRY RIVADUE
    Agreed--when I recall screenings at Radio City Music Hall it was one big collective happy movie-watching event without complications. Little did I appreciate it back then! Though maybe not in the same league as a comedy (though it definitely has its moments--and Buddy Hackett too!) I recall seeing Disney's THE LOVE BUG at a packed Radio City Easter Show, and there's nothing like 5,000 people roaring with laughter!

:lol:

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Just thinking back to the full houses roaring with laughter at "ordinary" films like CACTUS FLOWER, WHAT'S UP, DOC?, FOR PETE'S SAKE, BLAZING SADDLES, etc., is sweet. I'm fortunate to at least remember being at the roadshow MW and of having that same expectant, appreciative audience as at MY FAIR LADY, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, etc., all around me.

18. ahollis

Allen
    Actually saw WHATS UP DOC? at the Radio City Music Hall on trip to New York. Also saw FIDDLER ON THE ROOF at the Rivioli. Little did I realize 20 years or so later I would be be working for UA Theatres and part of the Theatres demise. A shameful part of my life. IAMMMMW was during its re-release in a full 600 seat theatre. The laughter was catching and I had to go back and see it again to catch lines I missed.

19. Danilo S.

Danilo S. Active Member

Times changing and sometime in a bad way.

20. ahollis

Allen
    Well I guess the anticipation is keeping us quite. Took the iPad to work to day to keep up with the what's going on. I'm just ready for something a little less serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.