What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Sumnernor said:
I do not understand why post 727 was made. I did not state that the link had nothing to do with the Gleason interview of the IAMMMMW cast. All I stated was "The above link was not found???? and then you repeat basically what I did. It looks like a wasted post.
Never mind about that link. It was a link to an old forum thread, which was probably deleted years ago. I didn't even realize it was in my signature.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sumnernor said:
I do not understand why post 727 was made. I did not state that the link had nothing to do with the Gleason interview of the IAMMMMW cast. All I stated was "The above link was not found???? and then you repeat basically what I did. It looks like a wasted post.
I am sorry to derail the thread topic any further by pursuing this, but I want to apologize to Sumner for the "wasted post" in which I tried to provide him with some help.

The reason I assumed you thought the link had something to do with the Gleason interview was because you HAD included both the link and a quote about the Gleason interview in your original question about the link (Post #724).

I'm glad I didn't use up the last little bit of the internet when I made that post. I was worried there for a minute.

And, actually, my "wasted post" served the purpose of pointing out to Ethan that the link was not working. Maybe he'll remove it from his signature--or add a working link now that he knows. I bet that thread still exists, Ethan, whatever it may be. :biggrin: I'd be glad to help you find it, if you'd like. Just PM me.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
ahollis said:
Just because he has not said anything doesn't mean he doesn't know anything. He is a gentleman and will only speak when it's time. This I have learned and respect.
You're assuming he's working on this Criterion version?! ... From what he's said here, especially "there are only bits and pieces left of the original version," if he IS working on it, it doesn't sound like it'll amount to much. Unless he's playing with our emotions. Which he could be. Which he shouldn't. But maybe he isn't. I can't figure him out.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
You're assuming he's working on this Criterion version?! ... From what he's said here, especially "there are only bits and pieces left of the original version," if he IS working on it, it doesn't sound like it'll amount to much. Unless he's playing with our emotions. Which he could be. Which he shouldn't. But maybe he isn't. I can't figure him out.
In the end, when Criterion releases the Blu-ray, everyone will know everything there is to know about everything. Until then, no one is going to be able to figure anything out because the people who know what's going on do not care to share that information. So, everyone will just have to be patient until it's all done and then announced. The one thing I think we all can be certain of is that some people will be thrilled, some people will be stomping their collective feet in anger and some won't care one way or another. That's not peculiar to this title.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
Oh, THAT Cadavra :) Normally I'd just bow to your knowledge, but I was around in 1963, too, I've been in the business for over 40 years, too, and I know the family, too and with all dure respect If neither of us is speculating, it's interesting that the stories can be different? So, I'm just curious - the family has told you specifically that Mr. Kramer was forced to shorten the film during the first four weeks of the run, specifically so the Dome could get in more showings (which they couldn't and didn't to the best of my knowledge, although I can't say I'm sure on that one, although logic would tell you that shaving twenty minutes wouldn't make an iota of difference about an extra showing a day at the Dome during that time)? Because that flies pretty much in the face of what I've heard and been told. But, stranger things have happened.
Figure this way: Traditionally, roadshow movies were at 2:00 and 8:00. So the original MAD WORLD ran until 5:12 and 11:12.

If they got it under three hours, they could show it at 2:00, 5:00 and 8:00. I'm not saying Cadavra is right, but it makes sense, and he could be right.

EDIT: I forgot about the Intermission. So it ended at 5:22 and 11:22, with a ten minute Intermission. So cutting it down to 162 even leaves room for the Intermission, and you can still get three showings in there.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I actually took the time to do this, which shows what an empty life I live.I have access to the New York Times through my library. In November, at the Warner Cinerama Theatre, MAD WORLD was shown at 8:00 nightly (7:30 on Sundays) with matinees at 2:00 on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays.In December, presumably after it was cut, it had the same schedule. Same in January 1964. So I'm officially saying "Wrong" to the theory that United Artists wanted to squeeze in more showings.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joe Lugoff said:
I actually took the time to do this, which shows what an empty life I live.I have access to the New York Times through my library. In November, at the Warner Cinerama Theatre, MAD WORLD was shown at 8:00 nightly (7:30 on Sundays) with matinees at 2:00 on Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays.In December, presumably after it was cut, it had the same schedule. Same in January 1964. So I'm officially saying "Wrong" to the theory that United Artists wanted to squeeze in more showings.
Running times were generally not a roadshow problem, unless the show ran later than public transportation. Two shows a day were two a day. Regardless.RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
That was my memory and thanks for taking the time to confirm it. Mr. Kramer, at that time, had total control over his film - no one was telling him to do anything - he did what he thought best.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mike Frezon said:
I am sorry to derail the thread topic any further by pursuing this, but I want to apologize to Sumner for the "wasted post" in which I tried to provide him with some help.

The reason I assumed you thought the link had something to do with the Gleason interview was because you HAD included both the link and a quote about the Gleason interview in your original question about the link (Post #724).

I'm glad I didn't use up the last little bit of the internet when I made that post. I was worried there for a minute.

And, actually, my "wasted post" served the purpose of pointing out to Ethan that the link was not working. Maybe he'll remove it from his signature--or add a working link now that he knows. I bet that thread still exists, Ethan, whatever it may be. :biggrin: I'd be glad to help you find it, if you'd like. Just PM me.
Thank you; the signature has been removed. It was just an old thread that some of us in the Tv-On-Dvd forum were running; about six years ago. Didn't realize it would start World War III so many years later...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Joe Lugoff said:
I would never assume anything about what information Mr. Harris knows. He is a professional and that is to be respected. Besides Mr.Harris does not need defending, especially from someone with my little knowledge" for his work speaks for itself.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
haineshisway said:
Oh, THAT Cadavra :) Normally I'd just bow to your knowledge, but I was around in 1963, too, I've been in the business for over 40 years, too, and I know the family, too and with all dure respect If neither of us is speculating, it's interesting that the stories can be different? So, I'm just curious - the family has told you specifically that Mr. Kramer was forced to shorten the film during the first four weeks of the run, specifically so the Dome could get in more showings (which they couldn't and didn't to the best of my knowledge, although I can't say I'm sure on that one, although logic would tell you that shaving twenty minutes wouldn't make an iota of difference about an extra showing a day at the Dome during that time)? Because that flies pretty much in the face of what I've heard and been told. But, stranger things have happened.
It was Kramer himself. I interviewed him at Cinecon about 20 years ago, and asked him about the cuts. He said (this is from memory here), "They did that shortening crap all the time with the big shows. It was stupid. Look at all the damn money they just spent to put LAWRENCE OF ARABIA back together. But they were gonna do it whether I liked it or not, so I did it myself to protect it. We had a lot riding on it."

Joe: More likely, it would've been 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00. When it opened in Dayton in Feb. of '64 (where I first saw it), they started with three shows a day, then further into the run cut back to two on weekdays.

Mike S.
(who appreciates respect but does not demand it)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cadavra said:
It was Kramer himself. I interviewed him at Cinecon about 20 years ago, and asked him about the cuts. He said (this is from memory here), "They did that shortening crap all the time with the big shows. It was stupid. Look at all the damn money they just spent to put LAWRENCE OF ARABIA back together. But they were gonna do it whether I liked it or not, so I did it myself to protect it. We had a lot riding on it."

Joe: More likely, it would've been 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00. When it opened in Dayton in Feb. of '64 (where I first saw it), they started with three shows a day, then further into the run cut back to two on weekdays.

Mike S.
(who appreciates respect but does not demand it)
Well, that's some memory when you use quote marks. :) And it still flies in the face of everything I've heard from those in a position to know. And I'll just leave it at that.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
haineshisway said:
Well, that's some memory when you use quote marks. :) And it still flies in the face of everything I've heard from those in a position to know. And I'll just leave it at that.
All righty, then. Peace, my brother. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I don't remember Lawrence of Arabia (216 min.) being cut during its roadshow run. Neither was Exodus (208 min.), also from United Artists and much longer than Mad World.

The Ten Commandments was 220 minutes and Paramount never cut it to "squeeze in more shows," and that didn't stop it from becoming the highest-grossing movie of the entire decade. Ditto for the 212 minute second-highest-grossing movie of the decade, Ben-Hur.

The ones that were famously cut shortly after beginning their roadshow engagements, besides MW, were Cleopatra and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It wasn't as common as you think for these things to be cut. Some were cut for "popular price" general release, such as The Greatest Story Ever Told (that one needed at least three hours cut out, in my opinion), and Star! (which was even given a different title), but that's another story.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
I don't remember Lawrence of Arabia (216 min.) being cut during its roadshow run. Neither was Exodus (208 min.), also from United Artists and much longer than Mad World.

The Ten Commandments was 220 minutes and Paramount never cut it to "squeeze in more shows," and that didn't stop it from becoming the highest-grossing movie of the entire decade. Ditto for the 212 minute second-highest-grossing movie of the decade, Ben-Hur.

The ones that were famously cut shortly after beginning their roadshow engagements, besides MW, were Cleopatra and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It wasn't as common as you think for these things to be cut. Some were cut for "popular price" general release, such as The Greatest Story Ever Told (that one needed at least three hours cut out, in my opinion), and Star! (which was even given a different title), but that's another story.
Exactly right - very few films were cut during their roadshow releases. But you can add Doctor Dolittle as one that was. Yes, for general release, sometimes, although Exodus was never cut down for general release. All I can tell you is Stanley Kramer was pressured by no one to cut anything down - he did it because he thought it needed it. We've all stated our views on this and, as I keep saying, I've talked to too many people in a position to know to think anything else, but even if I hadn't it just doesn't make any sense that he was pressured to cut it down for the roadshow.

Google Withers

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
I first saw this movie projected onto a load of bedsheets fastened together and strung up between palm trees (not under da big W) on a beach in Crete. I would be very happy for this experience to be duplicated qualitywise in its encoding to bluray. Maybe they should let the Eclair guys have a shot at it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joe Lugoff said:
I don't remember Lawrence of Arabia (216 min.) being cut during its roadshow run. Neither was Exodus (208 min.), also from United Artists and much longer than Mad World.The Ten Commandments was 220 minutes and Paramount never cut it to "squeeze in more shows," and that didn't stop it from becoming the highest-grossing movie of the entire decade. Ditto for the 212 minute second-highest-grossing movie of the decade, Ben-Hur.The ones that were famously cut shortly after beginning their roadshow engagements, besides MW, were Cleopatra and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It wasn't as common as you think for these things to be cut. Some were cut for "popular price" general release, such as The Greatest Story Ever Told (that one needed at least three hours cut out, in my opinion), and Star! (which was even given a different title), but that's another story.
2001 was not cut for time. The trims were mostly fat, and for redundancy. A cut had to be delivered for opening. Same situation with Zhivago, which was re-cut over a 12 week period. IMHO, Lawrence may have been cut twice. At least that's as I recall the facts. But I have grown old. And long for the hanging gardens...RAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks