What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Call me dense, but I'm not understanding the clue at all. :)

Meanwhile, I would not be purchasing any extended edition that contained workprint scenes IN the film presentation, i.e. scenes cut PRIOR to the roadshow premiere at the Cinerama Dome. Period.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Very interesting! I like the version currently on blu as that is the film I saw first run in a crowded theater in the summer of 1964. But Criterion is high end so I would like to see what they offer. Honestly I doubt they would take this on with the blu ray out there already.I wish Criterion would get interested in The Alamo.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Once again, just to remind those who need reminding, the ONLY people who saw the complete roadshow cut (which is NOT what's on the laserdisc) had to have seen it at the Cinerama Dome during it's first four weeks - the cuts were made during that time, and that slightly cut down version became the version seen by everyone whether roadshow or in general release after that. The general release version was further shorn of overture, entr'acte, police calls and exit music but the content was the same as the second roadshow edited version which played after the first four weeks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
From the clue, which I now at least understand thanks to the other thread - I guess Four Coins in the Fountain - oh, wait, it's three coins. I then guess The Four Faces of Eve - oh, wait, it's three faces. Damn! Then I guess Four Weird-looking Circles - one of my favorite Armenian films. Bravo Criterion!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
If this film were to be released by Criterion, not only would I love to see the film restored to its original length, but also this United Artists logo restored:
nvjt.jpg

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
haineshisway said:
Once again, just to remind those who need reminding, the ONLY people who saw the complete roadshow cut (which is NOT what's on the laserdisc) had to have seen it at the Cinerama Dome during it's first four weeks ...
Or at the Warner on Broadway in NYC, where it opened November 17, 1963. In the New York Times review the running time is given as 192 minutes. The review is highly favorable (the movie made the critic's Ten Best List at the end of the year), but the last paragraph says, "The only trouble with the whole thing is that it runs too long. There is simply too much wild confusion, too much repetition of similar things. There comes a time when the senses and the risibilites cry stop." I believe it was comments like that, even in the positive reviews, that inspired Kramer to cut the movie as drastically as he did.

Even so, I vote with those who want as much as possible to be restored. Number One on my movie wish list is to see IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD restored to its original 192 minute roadshow version. The extra scenes, cut before the movie opened, should be included as extras. (Speaking of which -- a couple of years ago, I watched a deleted scene online that wasn't even on the laserdisc. It was in the park where Monica said she'd try to find the Big W by spinning around, but she got dizzy and fell and rolled down a hill. If anyone knows what website that was on, please let me know. I'd like to see that again.)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I believe that I read in another thread that RAH said that most of the roadshow footage has been located, but that no restoration has been performed by MGM.

If there is to be a Criterion version, perhaps MGM has made this footage available to them to do with it what they will.

Whatever the case, I would like to see seamless branching for the general release and roadshow versions. A running commentary. And as many extras as possible.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I too hope Criterion release Mad World in all it's glory -- I used to be on the mailing list of a newsletter in the late 1980s of a gentleman in Washington who had the 'Mad World Campaign' to lobby UA to restore the movie to the running time that was close to the 1991 laserdisc version -- a little documentary on this campaign and many other incidental people and events connected with this movie and it's various running times might make a nice special features package that Criterion are masters of, and might be worth considering.

Also if it is released for the 50th Anniversary, I hope they dedicate this restoration to the memory of Jonathan Winters, who was always putting a good word in for this movie at every opportunity over the years and considered the making of it the greatest time of his life.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
Or at the Warner on Broadway in NYC, where it opened November 17, 1963. In the New York Times review the running time is given as 192 minutes. The review is highly favorable (the movie made the critic's Ten Best List at the end of the year), but the last paragraph says, "The only trouble with the whole thing is that it runs too long. There is simply too much wild confusion, too much repetition of similar things. There comes a time when the senses and the risibilites cry stop." I believe it was comments like that, even in the positive reviews, that inspired Kramer to cut the movie as drastically as he did.

Even so, I vote with those who want as much as possible to be restored. Number One on my movie wish list is to see IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD restored to its original 192 minute roadshow version. The extra scenes, cut before the movie opened, should be included as extras. (Speaking of which -- a couple of years ago, I watched a deleted scene online that wasn't even on the laserdisc. It was in the park where Monica said she'd try to find the Big W by spinning around, but she got dizzy and fell and rolled down a hill. If anyone knows what website that was on, please let me know. I'd like to see that again.)
Right - same story though - first four weeks and then the second road show cut went in - and that's what most people have seen. Everyone thinks that the general release version is something other than it is, which is the film that 98% of the people in the world saw. And I must say to those who keep going on and on about wanting the laserdisc cut - I wouldn't even consider those folks fans of the film because that cut wasn't any cut at all, just a bunch of stuff only some of which was from the roadshow version thrown together - I found it a travesty, actually. Yes, by all means let's have the original roadshow cut - that would be fun to see after all these years (and yes, I was there at the Cinerama Dome in week one).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Waking up early this morning to read your comments.
Thank you for voting in the poll.
And I must say to those who keep going on and on about wanting the laserdisc cut - I wouldn't even consider those folks fans of the film because that cut wasn't any cut at all, just a bunch of stuff only some of which was from the roadshow version thrown together - I found it a travesty, actually.
That's not really fair.

We are fans of the film. Period.

For the majority of the people who voted, it seems that
is the preferred cut.

Realize, none of us are looking to replace the precious
standard release. We would just love to have the opportunity
to finally own the "kitchen sink" version on Blu-ray, to watch
whenever we want an alternative to the original.

Those cutting room floor scenes actually do add to the value
of the film, but I realize that's not going to be everyone's opinion.

Thanks for weighing in, Bruce.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I own pretty much every home-release of this film (VHS, LD, DVD, BD). It's always been one of my favourites, and I would absolutely love a Criterion BD, and am very curious to see what kind of presentation / supplements they offer.

Slightly off-topic, but there's a hilariously po-faced conversation about this title over at CriterionForum. The usual crowd of Criterion 'hipsters' pouring abuse on Criterion's (alleged) decision to release this film. Apparently, there's only room in the Criterion Collection for silent, b&w Japanese obscurities that nobody likes. Any film that might be enjoyed by the general population isn't good enough for these guys.

Nice to see Moe sticking up for the rest of us though!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I also post on and check in at the CrtierionForum and I find it a little disheartening about some of the abuse that the film has been getting. I, for one, would also love a Criterion edition of this film; it is nice to have 'something a little less serious' to go along with the hidden gems and known classics and favorites in the collection. But you just can't please everyone. Now, if Criterion can get their hands on John Wayne's The Alamo and Hawaii and release the roadshow versions of those, that would really be the caveat of the agreement between MGM and them.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
If Criterion does pursue this, I think at this late date they would have nowhere to go with such a project except to release some kind of multi-version, multi-disc 'Whole Enchilada' edition...perhaps even including a SmileBox transfer approximating IAMMMMW's CINERAMA presentation.

As interesting as stitching together all of the excised footage might be - yes, I owned the Laserdisc set and thought IAMMMMW was a bloated, imbalanced mess in that form - none of it is essential for an appreciation of this comedy classic. To me, Stanley Kramer's 2nd (and final) roadshow cut will always remain 'THE' definitive director's cut of this film...I mean, is this really any different than Kubrick's premiere vs. post-premiere roadshow cuts of 2001? The rush to meet locked-in roadshow dates often meant premiering a less-than-ideal cut of the film, prompting judicious second thoughts by the filmmakers themselves regarding what its ultimate shape should be.

I believe the fruits of that filmmaker-driven creative process should be respected in this case too. With comedy especially, more rarely equals better.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks Will! My Criterion obsession compels me to spend time over there but I do feel they have a skewed view of what should be Criterion worthy. And I'll say it here like I said in the other thread, this is a ONE strip Ultra Panavision film so there is NO reason to do smilebox. This is NOT real Cinerama. Smilebox is there to correct distortion inherent in 3 strip films.The film in the shorter cut feels too short to me. The moments present in the Laserdisc greatly add to the film for me. I'd like to see them and the additional roadshow scenes not on the LD properly arranged in the official original long edit, then the Kramer deleted scenes presented outside the film, or perhaps branched in for a third version.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am quite satisfied with the current MGM blu-ray and would only buy again if a longer version retained a consistent (excellent) picture quality. From reading all the previous comments it is clear to me that if Criterion put out a new blu-ray they will not be able to satisfy everyone. This will run like the Shane AR thread!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I find it interesting when people only want to see perfect quality. I guess I have more of an archaeology/historical view where I will take warts and problems to get the correct version of something or as close as can be done, like A Star is Born. Having things missing is worse to me than differences In materials quality.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Moe Dickstein said:
And I'll say it here like I said in the other thread, this is a ONE strip Ultra Panavision film so there is NO reason to do smilebox. This is NOT real Cinerama. Smilebox is there to correct distortion inherent in 3 strip films.
True Mr. Dickstein. But a whole new generation should at least be able to appreciate why the use of single-strip Ultra Panavision 70 to create *faux* CINERAMA didn't really work. As the beginning of the 3-panel format's decline, there is at least a historical reason for including a SmileBox presentation in a Criterion IAMMMMW über set.

And after grimacing through all of that faded CINERAMA-rectified footage in the Laserdisc set, I feel we're owed some kind of context why it looked so bad. ;)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
So they should add a whole extra disc to show something wrong to prove a point? Maybe a short extra using the process would illustrate the same point and not bump the price of the set $20

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Moe Dickstein said:
I find it interesting when people only want to see perfect quality. I guess I have more of an archaeology/historical view where I will take warts and problems to get the correct version of something or as close as can be done, like A Star is Born. Having things missing is worse to me than differences In materials quality.
Preserve all that stuff as extras...I enjoy it too in terms of historical interest. But not continually sullying my experience with the film proper. Such 'make the best of it' tricks always yank me right out of the picture.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Moe Dickstein said:
So they should add a whole extra disc to show something wrong to prove a point? Maybe a short extra using the process would illustrate the same point and not bump the price of the set $20
Sure. Why not? It's at least as valid as a premiere cut that the filmmaker immediately recut because it was too distended in length and flaccidly paced. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks