What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (1 Viewer)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Those shots are excellent.But how great is it in the video that that last tree stump was still there!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Charles, it sounds a bit corny -- but I swear true -- I got chills
watching that moment when he walks on the very ground where
that Big W existed. Yes, amazing a stump of it still exists.

You think what it would have been like, back in the day, to be
at those locales with all those legendary film stars. Just to know
they were all there, together at one point, sends chills through you.

Really, this is one of the greatest films ever made bar none, and
it's so sad that only past generations understand its significance.
In other words, it's really disheartening to hear the fuss being made
in the Criterion forum about the decision to release this film by (what
I presume to be) a newer generation of film buffs.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It got me, too. I've looked at a number of these things, but when this guy showed us where the water fountain would have been, then the winding sidewalk path where Ethel Merman told everyone to come out, and then as he walked across the meadow...

Chills. No two ways about it.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I lived in Redondo Beach, just minutes from the Portuguese Bend area, and would have looked up at those cliffs any number of times from a friend's boat, or even from Marineland (long gone) which was below the cliffs just a little ways down the road. I knew the other locations such as Santa Monica and Long Beach and Highway 74, but in those years I just wasn't aware that the "Big W" had been in that area as opposed to, say, down the coast toward San Diego. And as much as I'd always loved the film, it never occurred to me to actually seek those places out. Hell, even the first three trees might have still been there in my earlier years in L.A.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
You'll hear an announcement in less than a month.
Moe Dickstein said:
So it is November just as we thought

I know that we will hear about November's titles in less than a month. I also expect that at some time we will hear IAMMMMW being announced. Whether the two coincide, who knows.

Given how tight-lipped Criterion is about the specifics of their releases, I don't think anyone one (outside of Criterion) knows for sure.

Mr. Kimmel was told that the clue was indeed IAMMMMW, and that it was definitely coming. He didn't say he was told when it was coming.

David

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Agreed. I don't know if Criterion is on schedule to have this
released by November or not, but we are certain it is coming.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
David Weicker said:
I know that we will hear about November's titles in less than a month. I also expect that at some time we will hear IAMMMMW being announced. Whether the two coincide, who knows. Given how tight-lipped Criterion is about the specifics of their releases, I don't think anyone one (outside of Criterion) knows for sure. Mr. Kimmel was told that the clue was indeed IAMMMMW, and that it was definitely coming. He didn't say he was told when it was coming. David
Criterion only announces things on the 15th of each month, or the nearest monday or friday to the 15th.Ron said we will know in "less than a month" therefore that only leaves the August 15th announcements for November,

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Ronald Epstein said:
Really enjoyed watching this video this morning...

Outstanding video. Thorough investigative work and continually interesting. Made my day. Smiles at the end. Thanks for posting. Waiting for Criterion Blu-Ray. My Spanish Class at Ganesha High School, Pomona, attended opening Cinerama Dome presentation of "IAMMMMW". I believe it was the first month of release, but I'm not sure until I see restored Blu-Ray (???).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Unless they completely miss the golden opportunity, the plan is definitely November - that much I've been told by someone who knows. Whether Criterion has it together to meet that release is not known to me, but it's the plan. I do know I've been told they've been working on it for a long time.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
According to zillow.com the Big W house is presently for sale at $6.5 million, recently reduced from $6.9 million. Hmmm....

james kroeper

Auditioning
Robert Harris said:
The 162 as well as the 197 were both approved by the filmmakers. The cutting history of the film is almost as huge as.the film itself. Cuts and trims had been continuous over several months, as the film was previewed in multiple cities. The film slowly took shape between July and November of 1963.The final re-cut was extremely intensive and complex. Deletions, in many cases, were not simple trims. Entire sequences and scenes were moved from reel to reel, and virtually the entire film had to be re-mixed.My preference has always been the 197, even with a bit of fat attached. The 162 moves more quickly, and is a great film. But for those who experienced some of the deleted material, it can seem lacking.Also, when it comes to "liking" the film, it's important to understand that this is one of those films that was not meant to be viewed in any way other than on a huge, huge screen, and shared with a huge audience. Seen in 70mm, it's a totally different experience.RAH
Robert Harris said:
The 162 as well as the 197 were both approved by the filmmakers. The cutting history of the film is almost as huge as.the film itself. Cuts and trims had been continuous over several months, as the film was previewed in multiple cities. The film slowly took shape between July and November of 1963.The final re-cut was extremely intensive and complex. Deletions, in many cases, were not simple trims. Entire sequences and scenes were moved from reel to reel, and virtually the entire film had to be re-mixed.My preference has always been the 197, even with a bit of fat attached. The 162 moves more quickly, and is a great film. But for those who experienced some of the deleted material, it can seem lacking.Also, when it comes to "liking" the film, it's important to understand that this is one of those films that was not meant to be viewed in any way other than on a huge, huge screen, and shared with a huge audience. Seen in 70mm, it's a totally different experience.RAH

james kroeper

Auditioning
All the more reason Robert for someone at MGM/UA (or whatever corporate entity it calls itself these days) to fund a photochemical restoration of this beloved film with you (and Jim Katz) in charge. Yes, the 197 cut is a bit beefy but some crucial material which advanced plot and fleshed out various character's motivations was removed to satisfy exhibitor demands (and UA executives like David Picker). As for the 162min cut it's nothing to be ashamed of, it just begs the question "why was the OCN cut when there was no need to do so". One thing I've learned over these many years tracking down footage, track, and anything else connected to this film is "you never know". Deep down I still think a reel can of trims is sitting waiting to be rediscovered. As always thanks Robert for keeping me in the "loop"!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If they want to raise funds, they should grind up that stump and make the bits into Big W keychains and sell them to the fans for $25 or something--

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
rmw650 said:
So just for clarification purposes, what version of this film is Criterion actually releasing, since there are so many versions out there, if it is scheduled to be released before the holidays...210, 192, 179, 168, 156, or any other length this film has been known to be released under? I'm hoping the extended version myself at 210
We'll if Criterion has been working on this for a few years now, it's probably going to be the cloests to the originial 192 or 210. They may have all three versions, this could be Criterion's big release of the year jamed pack with all lengths and hours and hours of special features.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
If that's really the last of what remains of the original "Big W", If it were my property, I'd try to preserve the stump (wood hardener?) or something so that it won't rot away forever. Maybe even build a little shrine over the top of it.

If it's not feasible to preserve what's left where it is, perhaps it could be removed, preserved, and donated to a museum somewhere.

On the other hand, if the owners were really greedy, they could put it through a wood chipper, seal the little pieces in Lucite, and sell lots of IAMMMMW "BIG W paperweights"! :wub:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Reed Grele said:
Why don't we go halvsies? Then we could convert it into a museum, and charge admission. We'd recoup the investment in no time. ;)
But how would you split up the profit? Shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks