What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (2 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rob_Ray said:
I love IAMMMMW and and think it holds up beautifully as an example of top-notch entertainment with that cinematic polish which was peaking in the early 60s. However, those I've talked to who don't like the film generally have two problems with it: 1. They are put off by overall avaricious tone of the film and general nastiness of most of the characters.2. They feel that too many cameo performers are not given any trademark shtick of their own. For example, the Three Stooges do nothing but show up and Zasu Pitts should have been given some of her unique brand of comedy business to do at that switchboard. and 3. Those that don't liked the film because of the first two issues have a problem with its length. Airplane! is barely more than 85 minutes, which greatly works in its favor. It doesn't wear out its welcome for those who can only take so much low-brow comedy.
I've always thought of that other link, as a reason to have Zazu Pitts on board. The silent one.RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The cameos are, well, cameos -- short and sweet. Would I like to have seen a few them be longer? Sure, but there is no end to the variation in how that could have been handled. The Three Stooges, Jack Benny, Jerry Lewis.... these are little jewels of perfection. For my taste, even MORE cameos would always have been welcome, as short as they might have been.

And I just don't get the complaints about the so-called nastiness of the characters. I guess the plot and this style of comedy is being perceived as such, and I think that's just nuts.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
One thing that I don't recall ever seeing mentioned about IAMMMMW is that, after a 22 year gap, I believe this was the 5th and final movie in which both Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracy appear. Strange that it isn't mentioned in the blu-ray/DVD bonus material as far as I know nor do I recall it being mentioned at the movie's initial release. On a certain level of film history, that would be like casting Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds in a movie in 1974 (not counting hosting appearances in a compendium like That's Entertainment!, of course) but never mentioning anything about Singin' in the Rain.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Moe Dickstein said:
Why else would they do the title, have you read the thread Lou?
Yes I did read the thread. But I wonder if a small company like Criterion has the resources to restore all of the footage nessecary to issue one of the more complete versions. And Criterion HAS released duplicate versions of films already released by other studios but with upgraded mastering . So it's possible, but not probable that they could re- release the the shorter version but with better picture quality . Incidentally I used to have the Laser Disc, but sold it after my Laser Disc player died for the last time. At that point I figured that an MGM reissue of the Laser Disc was a sure thing. Then MGM lost interest citing costs . In any case, I really hope this Criterion release happens . This is one of my favorite films.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Rob_Ray said:
Airplane! is barely more than 85 minutes, which greatly works in its favor. It doesn't wear out its welcome for those who can only take so much low-brow comedy.
Quite right. Also, the production values of Airplane! tend to match the down and dirty cheap laughs brilliance of it, while the sheer size and grandiosity of IAMMMMW invites expectations of some penultimate slapstick comedy masterpiece, the likes of which only money can buy, which feeds into the naysayers' line about it not delivering on that basis. The size and grandiosity supports this other, rather more complex and broader message/theme I believe Kramer and Co. were going for much more than as a showcase for one slapstick comedy bit after another.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I thought having Stan Freberg mute (at least in the short version) was funny in itself since he was known as a voice artist. I think the short cameos work perfectly. Jack Benny and his "Well" and a solo violin playing his theme, Jerry Lewis doing his laugh and acting crazy, and the THREE STOOGES always got a laugh just standing there.

I was born in 1946, so most of the actors were familiar to me from television. Phil Silvers was Bilko, Both Sid Caesar and Milton Berle seemed within their variety show characters. I never have seen EVERYTHING’S DUCKY with Rooney and Hackett, but wonder if they had a similar relationship in that film. Even the newer actors felt comfortable to me and seeing them later (such as Winters, Thomas, Shawn). I think it was perfect casting and the writers must have known who was going to play who when writing the final script. I thought guests such as Paul Ford, Don Knotts, Eddie Anderson (Rochester), Peter Falk were all perfectly cast.

I am amazed at how well Kramer directed these people. There are occasions where they seem to step on each other’s lines, but it is so natural it just doesn’t seem scripted.

I always felt the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episode with the car chase in Nevada was a stripped down version of MAD WORLD, although it came first.

I also remember (I think on the Mike Douglas Show) at the time MAD WORLD was out, Carl Reiner mentioned he thought the film was a bit too long and someone pointed out that it was shortened, which seemed to please Carl.

It is one of my favorite films and I look forward to what Criterion can do with it.

Finally, I hope they involve Robert Harris in a reconstruction. If so, he is probably sworn to secrecy, but I think he knows more about putting this together and where the "bodies" are buried as anyone.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Ronald Epstein said:
I have always been saddened by the fact that some
of my favorite cameos (Jerry Lewis in particular) were
not given more screen time...

I think, based on the number of cameos, the intent
was to give the audience a brief "aha" moment and
then let the rest of the main talent carry the film on
their own.
I believe in at least some cases the nature of the appearances are part of the joke. For instance, most people knew Stan Freberg from his radio show, not from TV. So there is some irony in the fact that his mug appears onscreen, yet his voice is never heard.

With the Stooges the humor was always about physical comedy, but in the film they don't budge an inch. A humor coup!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I was always disappointed that though Joe E. Brown gets to deliver his trademark "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey" (for the last time in any movie!), we don't get to SEE him deliver it, we just hear it.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Dan_Shane said:
I believe in at least some cases the nature of the appearances are part of the joke. For instance, most people knew Stan Freberg from his radio show, not from TV. So there is some irony in the fact that his mug appears onscreen, yet his voice is never heard.

With the Stooges the humor was always about physical comedy, but in the film they don't budge an inch. A humor coup!
Exactly. There's some subtlety to be enjoyed here.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Professor Echo said:
I was always disappointed that though Joe E. Brown gets to deliver his trademark "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey" (for the last time in any movie!), we don't get to SEE him deliver it, we just hear it.
But again, I'll pull out the subtlety card. I've always liked that we hear it - along with plenty of other noise - without seeing it. I always found that funnier.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Professor Echo said:
Didn't he say that it in The Comedy of Terrors?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I still own the LD box set, but haven't spun it up an quite a while. While I truly hope that Criterion will finally do it justice, I'm perfectly happy with the current Blu-ray version.

This is one of those films that I absolutely have to watch at least once a year. The last time was when Mr. Winters passed.

Saw it for the first time (circa 1964) as a very young lad at our home town theater in Seymour, CT. And wow, did it ever make an impression on me! Young though I was, I "got" most of the subtle jokes and cameos thanks to my exposure to most of the stars on TV, or other films I had seen as a child. Since it was the general release version that I saw first, it's the one that still means the most to me.

It's also one of the few films on my short list that I'll put on if I'm feeling down, or depressed. No pill known to man can lift you up faster (and with no lasting side effects) than IAMMMMW!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
When I first saw the clue, I took it to be David Cronenberg's SCANNERS, perhaps with three other Cronenbergs indicated before the last head "exploded." But I defer to the popular wisdom. :)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Bob Cashill said:
When I first saw the clue, I took it to be David Cronenberg's SCANNERS, perhaps with three other Cronenbergs indicated before the last head "exploded." But I defer to the popular wisdom. :)
I think Shout Factory's Scream Factory is handling the Scanners series, as there's a double feature release of Scanners II & III in the fall.

evanier

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Evanier
Dan_Shane said:
Freberg's voice is heard on one of the police radio calls shortly after the last scene where he's seen on screen.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
A very long time ago I found at our school a book that was published along with the movie, I think a souvenir program; one of our teachers had seen it, and the book was just hanging around. I hadn't seen the film at that time, and I seem to recall reading in it that Kramer disdained any overt message in the film. He said he just wanted to make a fun film, like the old great comedies. And so he did. When I finally got to see it, in the early 70s, I loved it, mostly because it had my all time favourite comedian in it, Jonathan Winters.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
darkrock17 said:
I think Shout Factory's Scream Factory is handling the Scanners series, as there's a double feature release of Scanners II & III in the fall.
Scream Factory is releasing SCANNERS II & III, but Criterion/Janus Films have the US rights to SCANNERS and THE BROOD.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
evanier said:
Freberg's voice is heard on one of the police radio calls shortly after the last scene where he's seen on screen.
Freberg on the radio. Brilliant! That Kramer guy was a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks