1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: Tokyo Story (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

tokyofront.jpg

tokyoback.jpg

TOKYO STORY - DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/2-DVD EDITION

A profoundly stirring evocation of elemental humanity and universal heartbreak, Tokyo Story is the crowning achievement of the unparalleled Yasujiro Ozu (Late Spring). The film, which follows an aging couple as they leave their rural village to visit their two married children in bustling postwar Tokyo, surveys the rich and complex world of family life with the director’s customary delicacy and incisive perspective on social mores. Featuring lovely performances from Ozu regulars Chishu Ryu (There Was a Father) and Setsuko Hara (Late Autumn), Tokyo Story plumbs and deepens the director’s recurring themes of generational conflict, creating what is without question one of cinema’s mightiest masterpieces.

1953 • 136 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In Japanese with English subtitles • 1.33:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

• Audio commentary featuring Yasujiro Ozu scholar David Desser, editor of Ozu’s “Tokyo Story”

• I Lived, But . . . , a two-hour documentary from 1953 about Ozu’s life and career, featuring interviews with critics and former cast and crew members

• Talking with Ozu, a forty-minute tribute to the director from 1993, featuring the reflections of filmmakers Lindsay Anderson, Claire Denis, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Aki Kaurismäki, Stanley Kwan, Paul Schrader, and Wim Wenders

• Trailer

• New English subtitle translation

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Bordwell

TITLE: Tokyo Story (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/2-DVD EDITION)  

CAT. NO: CC2309BDDVD

UPC: 7-15515-11021-1

ISBN: 978-1-60465-778-4

SRP: $39.95

PREBOOK: 10/22/13

STREET: 11/19/13

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    I have the UK Tokyo Story which isn't so hot, and I just got one from Japan (with English subs) that is pretty terrific. Hard to know which transfer has been given to Criterion - if it's that Japanese one everyone should be happy.

Moe Dickstein likes this.
  3. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Well-Known Member

Nick
    So, what's up with the odd sepia tone that is evident in these caps Bruce?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/tokyostory.htm

Is the Japanese Blu-ray actually like that?

4. John-Weller

John-Weller Well-Known Member

John
    The extras alone sound tempting enough to make this go alongside the BFI edition (which has an extra movie, Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family).

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    No, it didn't really look like his caps and I haven't done a side by side with the UK in terms of the black-and-white - but the sharpness, detail, contrast and condition is much, much better on the Japanese.

6. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    I believe Janus has been touring the Japan restoration so it should be from that.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Moderator's Note:

I have deleted a number of posts in this topic which were off-topic and some of which violated our rules about personal attacks.

Let's stay on-topic and stop going at each other.

Unfortunately, there were pertinent comments in some of the posts which have been removed which discussed the off-topic issues.

Anyone who wishes to discuss this should PM me.

John-Weller likes this.
  8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Glad I missed "the mess"...

Anyway, this will probably be a purchase to join the 2(maybe even three) versions I already have(but not the Japanese).

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

10. Rodney

Rodney Premium
    Supporter

Somehow missed this announcement. Definitely getting this.

11. usrunnr

usrunnr Well-Known Member

usrunnr
    Not quite sure where to post this.I am trying to find out what has happened to a Japanese film entitled "The Human Revolution" ("Ningen Kakumei"). Released in 1973 by Toho Film Company, the film was directed by Toshio Masuda. It starred Tetsuro Tanba as Josei Toda. Mr. Tanba directed the Japanese sequences in "Tora Tora Tora".I saw this film many years ago, but since then I have not been able to find any showings of this film.Does anyone have any information regarding this film? Is this now a "lost" film?

12. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Well-Known Member

Which transfer did this turn out to be? (I suppose that answer may have been removed along with off-topic stuff) Is it equivalent to the superior Japanese version that Bruce mentions above?

13. Steen DK

Steen DK Well-Known Member

Steen
    Judging by caps at blu-ray.com and the ones over at DVDBeaver (taking into account Beaver's usual filtering), I'd say Criterion's BD is pretty much identical to the Japanese one - and therefore much better than the BFI edition.