What's new

Criterion Press Release: Red River (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

redfront.jpg

redrear.jpg

RED RIVER (dual-format Blu-ray/ DVD edition)
No matter what genre he worked in, Howard Hawks (His Girl Friday) played by his own rules, and never was this more evident than in his first western, the rowdy and whip-smart Red River. In it, John Wayne (Stagecoach) found one of his greatest roles as an embittered, tyrannical Texas rancher whose tensions with his independent-minded adopted son, played by Montgomery Clift (From Here to Eternity) in a breakout performance, reach epic proportions during a cattle drive to Missouri, which is based on a real-life late nineteenth-century expedition. Yet Hawks is less interested in historical accuracy than in tweaking the codes of masculinity that propel the myths of the American West. The unerringly macho Wayne and the neurotic, boyish Clift make for an improbably perfect pair, held aloft by a quick-witted, multilayered screenplay and Hawks’s formidable direction.

1948 • 127 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New 4K digital restoration of the rarely presented original theatrical release version, the preferred cut of director Howard Hawks, with monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray• 2K restoration of the longer version of Red River• New interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich about Red River and the two versions• New interview with critic Molly Haskell about Hawks and Red River • New interview with western scholar Lee Clark Mitchell about western genre literature• Audio excerpts of a 1972 conversation between Hawks and Bogdanovich• Excerpts from a 1970 audio interview with novelist and screenwriter Borden Chase• Two Blu-rays and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats• More!• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1991 interview with Hawks’s longtime editor Christian Nyby; a new paperback edition of Chase’s original novel, previously out of print

TITLE: RED RIVER (dual-format Blu-ray and DVD edition)
CAT. NO: CC2359BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11701-2
ISBN: 978-1-60465-841-5
SRP: $49.95
PREBOOK: 4/29/14
STREET: 5/27/14

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like a double dip for me as I bought the Eureka MOC release back in November. Not only one of my favorite westerns, but an all-time favorite film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looks like a double dip for me as I bought the Eureka MOC release back in November. Not only one of my favorite westerns, but an all-time favorite film.
Well, I never buy a Criterion at full price, but Crawdaddy knows his westerns
and based on his comment, I am going to order this blindly day one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Speaking of which...

That reminded me that I must order Jubal.

That was another Criterion release that Robert Crawford recommended.

Had been waiting for the price to come down.

It's $20 on Amazon. Just pulled the trigger.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Well, I never buy a Criterion at full price, but Crawdaddy knows his westerns
and based on his comment, I am going to order this blindly day one.
Right, I don't like buying at full price either, but this one is an exception even with me already having it on BD from the UK.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Other than the typical November B&N sale, what other times of the year do they have their sale? I know there's another one held earlier in the year but I've forgotten when it is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, David.

Knew nothing about this film. Was delighted to see it stars John Wayne.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ronald Epstein said:
Thanks, David.

Knew nothing about this film. Was delighted to see it stars John Wayne.
This is one of the Duke's crown jewels among his Westerns catalog, right up there with "The Searchers" and "True Grit"...one of his top 5 ever performances in the genre, Ron...you WON'T be disappointed, as it not only co-stars Montgomery Clift and Jo Anne Dru, but is directed by Howard Hawks!!!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Yep, one of the great westerns and one of the great films. I also have the MOC Blu-ray and am not sure I will double dip though.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm happy enough with my recent Masters of Cinema version of the movie, which looks good. I have to add to the voices praising this film, as both Clift and Wayne give excellent performances. However - and I know I'm going to be murdered for saying this - I really wish this movie had been filmed in color and not B&W. With few exceptions, I've always felt that only color westerns truly capture the full grandeur of the vistas involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks