1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: July 2008 Titles

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Mon oncle Antoine

Claude Jutra’s evocative portrait of a boy’s coming of age in wintry 1940s rural Quebec has been consistently cited by critics and scholars as the greatest Canadian film of all time. Delicate, naturalistic, and tinged with a striking mix of nostalgia and menace, Mon oncle Antoine follows the everyday lives of both young Benoit, as he first encounters the twin terrors of sex and death, and his fellow villagers, living under the thumb of the local asbestos-mine owner. Set during one ominous Christmas, Mon oncle Antoine is a holiday film unlike any other, and an authentically detailed illustration of childhood’s twilight.

Info
    • Directed by Claude Jutra (À tout prendre, Wow)
    SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
    • New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Michel Brault
    • On-Screen: “Mon oncle Antoine,” a 2007 documentary tracing the making and history of the film

• Claude Jutra, an Unfinished Story, a 2002 documentary that attempts to unravel “the Jutra mystery,” featuring interviews with Brault, Bernardo Bertolucci, actors Geneviève Bujold and Saul Rubinek. and actor-director Paule Baillargeon
    • A Chairy Tale, a 1957 experimental short codirected by Jutra and Norman McLaren
    • Theatrical trailer
    • Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
    • New and improved English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: A new essay by film scholar André Loiselle

Title: Mon oncle Antoine
    CAT: CC1759D
    UPC: 7-15515-03082-3
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-052-5
    SRP: $39.95
    Prebook: 6/3/08
    Street date: 7/8/08

Trafic

In Jacques Tati’s Trafic, the bumbling Monsieur Hulot, outfitted as always with tan raincoat, beaten brown hat, and umbrella, takes to Paris’s highways and byways. For this, his final outing, Hulot is employed as an auto company’s director of design, and accompanies his new vehicle (a camper tricked out in all sorts of absurd gadgetry) to an auto show in Amsterdam. Naturally, the road is paved with modern-age mishaps. This late-career delight is a masterful demonstration of the comic genius’s expert timing and sidesplitting visual gags, and a bemused last look at technology run amok.

Info
    • Directed by Jacques Tati (M. Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, Playtime)
    • Produced by Robert Dorfmann (Touchez pas au grisbi, Tristana, Le cercle rouge)

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
    • In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot (1969), a two-hour documentary tracing the evolution of Jacques Tati’s beloved alter ego
    • Interview from 1971 with the cast of Trafic, from the French television program Le journal de cinema
    • “The Comedy of Jacques Tati,” a 1973 episode from the French television program Morceaux de bravoure
    • Theatrical trailer
    • PLUS: A new essay by film critic Jonathan Romney

Title: Trafic
    CAT: CC1756D
    UPC: 7-15515-03032-8
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-045-7
    Prebook: 6/10/08
    Street date: 7/15/08

Vampyr

With Vampyr, Danish filmmaker Carl Theodor Dreyer’s brilliance at achieving mesmerizing atmosphere and austere, profoundly unsettling imagery (as in The Passion of Joan of Arc and Day of Wrath) was for once applied to the horror genre. Yet the result—concerning an occult student assailed by various supernatural haunts and local evildoers at an inn outside Paris—is nearly unclassifiable, a host of stunning camera and editing tricks and densely layered sounds creating a mood of dreamlike terror. With its roiling fogs, ominous scythes, and foreboding echoes, Vampyr is one of cinema’s great nightmares.

Info
    • Directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer (The Passion of Joan of Arc, Day of Wrath, Ordet)
    • Cinematography by Rudolph Maté (Stella Dallas, Foreign Correspondent, Gilda)

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the 1998 film restoration by Martin Koerber and the Cineteca di Bologna
    • Optional all-new English-text version of the film
    • Audio commentary featuring film scholar Tony Rayns
    • Carl Th. Dreyer (1966), a documentary by Jörgen Roos chronicling Dreyer’s career
    • Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer’s influences in creating Vampyr
    • A 1958 radio broadcast of Dreyer reading an essay about filmmaking
    • PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, Martin Koerber on the restoration, and an archival interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg, as well as a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul’s original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1871 story “Carmilla,” a source for the filmTitle: Vampyr

Title: Vampyr
    CAT: CC1757D
    UPC: 7-15515-03042-7
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-046-4
    Prebook: 6/17/08
    Street date: 7/22/08

High and Low

Toshiro Mifune is unforgettable as Kingo Gondo, a wealthy industrialist whose family becomes the target of a cold-blooded kidnapper in Akira Kurosawa’s highly influential domestic drama and police procedural High and Low. Adapting Ed McBain’s detective novel King’s Ransom, Kurosawa moves effortlessly from compelling race-against-time thriller to exacting social commentary, creating a diabolical treatise on class and contemporary Japanese society. Criterion is proud to present High and Low (Tengoko to jigoku) in this new high-definition digital transfer.

Info
    • Directed by Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai, The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo)
    • Starring Toshiro Mifune (Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Red Beard)
    • Starring Tatsuya Nakadai (When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, The Face of Another, Ran)
    • Starring Takashi Shimura (Ikiru, Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress)

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original
    four-track surround sound
    • New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
    • A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
    • Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
    • New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
    • Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
    • PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
    • More!

Title: High and Low
    CAT: CC1760D
    UPC: 7-15515-03092-2
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-053-2
    Prebook: 6/17/08
    Street date: 7/22/08

ATTN CANADA: MON ONCLE ANTOINE AND TRAFIC ARE AVAILABLE IN THE US ONLY. VAMPYR AND HIGH AND LOW ARE AVAILABLE IN ALL CANADA.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

Cool. I've never seen Trafic, but I'm hoping it's up to Tati standards, and will be making an extremely rare blind purchase.

I might also upgrade High & Low, though I'll wait for reviews before deciding.

3. Haggai

Haggai Well-Known Member

Great month from Criterion! A proper release of High and Low has been a long-desired re-release, and I'm sure it'll have been worth the wait. I've heard about Vampyr for a long time without having managed to see it, so I'll definitely check it out. I'm sure Trafic will be worth seeing, and let's hope that Criterion also has a release in the works for Jour de Fete, Tati's first feature, which I loved when I got to see it a screening.

4. mike kaminski

mike kaminski Well-Known Member

High and Low just made me pee my pants.

We've been sorely needing a better transfer, and I don't think theres ever been an interview with Mifune on a Criterion disk. Only question now is will the transfer still be cropped like before or will they have found a new print with the full OAR? We can only hope yes.

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    High and Low should be the last of the Kurosawa remasters. All of them have good-to-great transfers now.

I've always wanted to see Vampyr, and Trafic is a nice (though unsurprising) addition, but I would have rather got Tati's Jour de fete instead, which is also on the production schedule.

Never heard of Mon oncle Antoine before, but "Best Canadian film of all time" is pretty high praise.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Well-Known Member

Did anyone guess the cartoon in their new newsletter? About Pascal, etc?

7. mike kaminski

As a Kurosawa fan I would argue that Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress are below todays standards, but if the old DVD's stick around I can live with them. IMO they should just do them over so that they have a consistent catalog in their Kurosawa packages. I suppose whenever the heck Criterion goes BluRay these will get a new deal, but who knows when that will be (if ever).

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress are fine, IMO. There could be improvement, but it would be insubstantial by comparison to the improvements for Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and (presumably) High and Low.

9. Brian Saur

Brian Saur Active Member

I am very excited for this release. Though Trafic is(for me) not as good as Playtime, it is still worthy of Tati's other films.

10. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Well-Known Member

Wow ! I had no idea they were working on High and Low. This is the only Kurosawa Criterion that I don't own and yet it is among my favorites (I decided to pass on the original cropped, non-anamorphic release). I am sure the new release will be worth the wait.

-D

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    Strange they're listing Trafic as 1.33:1 isn't the OAR on that 1.66?

13. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Well-Known Member

Hurray for both Vampyr and High and Low. Great news!

14. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Well-Known Member

Rosselini's made-for-TV movies.

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David
    Looking forward to High and Low and I might pick up Trafic as well. I'm just afraid I'll end up staring at its cover. I find it mesmerizing.

16. BethHarrison

BethHarrison Well-Known Member

Hell, I was so damn close to caving and buying Vampyr. Glad I waited [​IMG]

17. Rod J

Rod J Premium
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett

I take credit for this release - I just received the french DVD last week[​IMG]

18. mike kaminski

Regarding High and Low:

"High and Low is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format"

Um, isn't the film NOT 2.35:1? Isn't that the whole cropping issue? This could be a typo, since they have sometimes listed incorrect info in their pre-release specs, but it would be dissapointing to have a new transfer and still have the composition cropped.

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    According to my sources, HIGH AND LOW was filmed in Tohoscope which is 2.35:1.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

and i have just got myself another Mifune / Kurosawa release