What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
In the early days, the MPAA almost automatically gave a G to any reissue of a vintage film, even GONE WITH THE WIND and BEN-HUR. Those films are now being rated more "correctly." And yes, MAD would certainly get a PG today. As for OZ, I don't believe the 3-D had anything to do with the new rating; it was because it's a pretty scary film for young'uns. Ratings apply to content, not format.

Mike S.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
cadavra said:
In the early days, the MPAA almost automatically gave a G to any reissue of a vintage film, even GONE WITH THE WIND and BEN-HUR. Those films are now being rated more "correctly." And yes, MAD would certainly get a PG today. As for OZ, I don't believe the 3-D had anything to do with the new rating; it was because it's a pretty scary film for young'uns. Ratings apply to content, not format.

Mike S.

I still think the parameters of the G rating have shrunk to the point where it's now only the most impossibly innocuous for the most hypersensitive. This December we'll see a movie about Paddington Bear. I can see it right now: PG for "some peril." Geez.

:cool:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
BarryR said:
I still think the parameters of the G rating have shrunk to the point where it's now only the most impossibly innocuous for the most hypersensitive. This December we'll see a movie about Paddington Bear. I can see it right now: PG for "some peril." Geez.

:cool:
No kidding. I had a tagline ready for THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA: "So Terrifying It's Rated G!" But it came back with a PG for "brief mild language." I asked what was the "brief mild language." and the reply was--I'm not kidding--"jackass." (Which was addressed to the Skeleton, by the way.)

Mike S.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
cadavra said:
No kidding. I had a tagline ready for THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA: "So Terrifying It's Rated G!" But it came back with a PG for "brief mild language." I asked what was the "brief mild language." and the reply was--I'm not kidding--"jackass." (Which was addressed to the Skeleton, by the way.)

Mike S.
Outstanding!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm finally getting to watch the extended blu-ray after only having access to the DVD in the hospital. I am pleased.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Even the DVD helped me out in January after I had been stuck in hospitals for over a month. That extended cut is something else. Next up, Something a Little Less Serious from the MGM/Fox blu-ray.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I even watched the majority of the deleted scenes from the MGM blu-ray.. It was interesting how some were alternate takes.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
The Egyptian will present a digital screening of Mad World tomorrow night Sun 3/30 at 730 pm in tribute to Mr. Caesar.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I can't believe I'm the first one to resurrect this thread (from the fourth page!) to report this, but Mickey Rooney has died, which means that there is no one left from the main cast of IAMMMMW, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers.

There are a few of the supporting cast left, including Carl Reiner, Barrie Chase, Marvin Kaplan, Stan Freberg and Nicholas Georgiade.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Vic Pardo said:
I can't believe I'm the first one to resurrect this thread (from the fourth page!) to report this, but Mickey Rooney has died, which means that there is no one left from the main cast of IAMMMMW, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers. There are a few of the supporting cast left, including Carl Reiner, Barrie Chase, Marvin Kaplan, Stan Freberg and Nicholas Georgiade.
When I heard the news this was the first thing that came to my mind. Not Andy Hardy or the Rooney/Garland musicals but IAMMMMW. Guess I will give it a spin tonight. Hope Mickey had a chance to see the Criterion disc

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This was the first movie I thought of last night, too -- even though, oddly, I didn't think to come here, either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It%27s+A+Mad+Mad+Mad+Mad+World+19.jpg

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Among the many memorable bits in a movie crammed with them, it's always been the precision comic interplay between Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett (and Jim Backus) which comes to mind when I recall my favourite scenes.

Stanley Kramer must have just wound these guys up, stood back, and let them go...no way could anyone micro-direct something that insanely inspired.

R.I.P. Mr. Rooney

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Sad to think that both Mickey Rooney and Sid Caesar passed away within weeks of each other, but glad to know that Mickey was still in circulation until recently -- one can see pictures of him acting the goat with Bruce Willis and Don Rickles at the Vanity Fair Oscars party on March 2. That would have given him plenty of time to check out the Criterion set which hit the streets January 21 -- I'd bet he would have been very happy at what he saw and would have brought back many great memories.

Also -- both Mickey and Sid lived to their early 90s.....we should be so lucky! Making people laugh adds years to your life, so it seems.

Getting back to the movie's rating if it ever went back into theatres -- I think it would still keep it's G rating, but if it was ever converted to 3D (which would make a lot of sense and cents), it might get a PG rating for 'some scary scenes' or 'low impact violence' or 'reckless driving'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks