What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (2 Viewers)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JWPlatt said:
To clarify for Moe Dickstein, the colorization I referred to was of the Ted Turner fake variety - not the actual advancement of color film.ahollis, the film and theater companies hear people like me, but it's like Microsoft and Windows 8. We'll probably never know whether they are in denial or are simply arrogant in their push to market and feel their ideas are superior to ours. I understand they have to at least try to convince us it's the greatest thing ever. It would be foolish of a company to telegraph failure before the introduction of a new product. Knowing that, I just see it as hype and a cycle of history.
That just does not make sense. Their not listening, due to the fact they continue to make 3D releases because they make money. As a member of the the theatre exhibition industry I can tell you 3D releases make money just as any movie does if the public wants to see it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tino said:
And Gravity has certainly reinvigorated 3D moviegoing. It's not going anywhere any time soon.
Yes and unfortunately it probably also means more conversions and less native 3D too.

Now sure they claim the difference is minimal between a great conversion and native shot 3D but if i had the choice i'd rather they shot native and maybe even shoot two versions, one optimised for 3D and another optimised for 2D, that would be interesting and seeing different takes being used would make both versions unique.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
Yes and unfortunately it probably also means more conversions and less native 3D too.

Now sure they claim the difference is minimal between a great conversion and native shot 3D but if i had the choice i'd rather they shot native and maybe even shoot two versions, one optimised for 3D and another optimised for 2D, that would be interesting and seeing different takes being used would make both versions unique.
...but at what cost Malcolm? Because that's what this 3D retrofit trend is really all about; justifying the enormous overhead that 3D* adds to production and distribution.

Personally, I wish studios would just make better movies that don't require this visual enhancement to distinguish themselves in the marketplace. Yet I do routinely support 3D theatrically when done well ('event style' like Gravity and Pacific Rim, or Avatar redux), just not at home...no interest.

* in either form.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ROclockCK said:
...but at what cost Malcolm? Because that's what this 3D retrofit trend is really all about; justifying the enormous overhead that 3D* adds to production and distribution.Personally, I wish studios would just make better movies that don't require this visual enhancement to distinguish themselves in the marketplace. Yet I do routinely support 3D theatrically when done well ('event style' like Gravity and Pacific Rim, or Avatar redux), just not at home...no interest.* in either form.
Absolutely.

JWPlatt

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
How is a film shot when it is intended for a conversion? Is the 3D processing strictly interpolation? Or do you need to supply digital 3D set models, photos or camera pans to supplement the 2D? Do you need to supply those from empty sets from the exact position(s) of the camera(s) and so forth?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JWPlatt said:
How is a film shot when it is intended for a conversion? Is the 3D processing strictly interpolation? Or do you need to supply digital 3D set models, photos or camera pans to supplement the 2D? Do you need to supply those from empty sets from the exact position(s) of the camera(s) and so forth?

A good read about the process below, be warned it's a lengthy article but interesting.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-of-stereo-conversion-2d-to-3d-2012/

ROclockCK said:
...but at what cost Malcolm? Because that's what this 3D retrofit trend is really all about; justifying the enormous overhead that 3D* adds to production and distribution.

Personally, I wish studios would just make better movies that don't require this visual enhancement to distinguish themselves in the marketplace. Yet I do routinely support 3D theatrically when done well ('event style' like Gravity and Pacific Rim, or Avatar redux), just not at home...no interest.

* in either form.
Unfortunately this is true, i wonder though if shooting native and converting to 2D is cheaper than the other way around.
Moe Dickstein said:
If it's intelligently shot to be converted, it's just as good as native 3D
I'm still not 100% convinced on that.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
Consider how much of Gravity was natively 2D shot and how much was CG and really, conversion does not come into play.
I still haven't seen it but do you mean they didn't actually go into space to shoot it, another illusion shattered. :D

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
FoxyMulder said:
I still haven't seen it but do you mean they didn't actually go into space to shoot it, another illusion shattered. :D
Actually, they did go up and film it in space. And it was shot with two cameras to really nail the whole 3-D thing. Unfortunately, they left one of the cameras up there, so they had to make do with just one angle and convert that. ;)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Brian McP said:
I agree with you Paul -- a 3D IMAX conversion certainly would not look out of place with this movie and would certainly make more money than any sequel or worse, a remake, ever would -- plus its G rated so all demographics are covered.
A 3D MAD would have to be resubmitted to the MPAA because it's of a new format--witness the recent OZ conversion, which was idiotically slapped with a PG rating, while the 2D remains a G. Just look at the box! I'm sure MAD would now rate a PG13 because of "incidental smoking," "mild action" and other ridiculous reasons to keep it out of the uncool G category.

mercyflight

Agent
Real Name
Paul Scrabo
Sorry, i didn't mean to put this thread into a 3D rathole(!)I suppose its just that I would love to see some older films re-released (or Fathom Event-ed).Paul

JWPlatt

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
mercyflight said:
Sorry, i didn't mean to put this thread into a 3D rathole(!)I suppose its just that I would love to see some older films re-released (or Fathom Event-ed).Paul
It wasn't your fault. If you like 3D, that's great. A suggestion never made is one never fulfilled. I take full responsibility for picking up the 3D issue. Thank you for the opportunity. ;)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
mercyflight said:
I thought it was fun. We had just about said everything that could be said or posted (my picture of an Old Fashioned) that could be. 3D conversation energized the thread a bit.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Moe Dickstein said:
Studios put things in movies to AVOID a G rating. A "G" is almost as much a kiss of death these days as NC-17
I know; I find it silly that PG is now pretty much the new G--look at MR. PEABODY, the new Muppet movies, FROZEN...just a trace of whatever to bump it up to PG. Like it really makes a difference to go to that trouble? Years ago many full blooded movies got a G, but that's another topic.

:P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks