1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Well-Known Member

Reed Grele
    Next time have a friend in the U.S. who has Amazon Prime buy one for you, re-package it, and ship it to you as a gift with low $ value.

To quote the words of the late, great Sid Caesar:

"I'm sure he's not gonna declare anything. And I know, I know he's not going to declare anything. And I'm not gonna....Ya know, declare."

2. Sumnernor

Sumnernor Well-Known Member

Sumner Northcutt
    I was lucky in Germany, I did not have to pay duty (which is 19% the cost of the item plus postage) Paid $29.99 plus $4.99). I expected to pay duty. Maybe another customs man might have charged duty - it is on the border line.-

Again sad to hear about Sid Caeser.

3. Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp Well-Known Member

Brian Sharp
    Sadly, this seems to work out no cheaper for us importing into the UK.

4. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Well-Known Member

Nick
    I'm not sure how you figure that. Right now Mad World will cost you £26.42 from Amazon.com with standard shipping. If it gets hit by customs (which is very likely in my experience with Amazon), it'll cost you an additional £13.28, which is £39.70 total.

Order it with Expedited Shipping (which automatically adds the import tax), you'll pay £34.33 and not a penny more. That's over a fiver less! And after 60 days from dispatch, Amazon may refund you the import tax (which in this case is £5.72) if the package was never actually picked up by customs, making the actual total £28.61! That's over a tenner less!

5. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Well-Known Member

David Matychuk
  6. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Active Member

Mike Fontanelli
    I didn't think anything could depress me more than Shirley Temple's death; but losing Sid Caesar the very next day was the proverbial "double whammy." The Golden Age is slipping away from us, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

This one really hurt because, as with Jonathan Winters' death last year, there doesn't seem to be anyone who can replace him. A selection of tributes from the Entertainment community follow -- including some heavy-hitter colleagues from his YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS "Dream Team," who loved and respected Caesar:

WOODY ALLEN -- "He was one of the truly great comedians of my time and one of the finest privileges I've had in my entire career was that I was able to work for him."
    NEIL SIMON -- "The first time I saw Caesar it was like seeing a new country. All other comics were basically doing situations with farcical characters. Caesar was doing life."
    MEL BROOKS -- "Sid Caesar was a giant, maybe the best comedian who ever practiced the trade. I was privileged to be one of his writers and one of his friends."
    CARL REINER -- "Inarguably he was the greatest single monologist and skit comedian we ever had. Television owes him a debt of gratitude for his pioneering work and the great shows he gave us all."

In 1983, Caesar hosted an episode of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, where he received a standing ovation at the start of the show and was awarded a plaque that declared him an honorary cast member. Caesar's work was a major influence on SNL, of course. (He would also receive a spontaneous standing ovation from the cast and audience of WHO'S LINE IS IT ANYWAY?, yet another program he influenced, when he guested in 2001.) I haven't watched SNL for years, but I'll try to catch it this weekend in case they do a tribute.
    RIP to a comic genius, and thanks for a lifetime of laughs.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  7. Rob W

Rob W Well-Known Member

Robert
    SNL won't be live again until Mar 1, after the Olympics.

8. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    SNL is off until March for the Olympics

9. Popcorn1

Popcorn1 Member

Richard
    Not sure if this was already done in previous posts, but just for the hell of it I timed the reinstated footage:

Act 1: 20 minutes 35 seconds
    Act 2: 6 minutes 31 seconds

Total: 27 minutes 6 seconds

I didn't count the Police Radio Calls since I'm not sure if the silent gaps in between were counted as time for the 192 minute original roadshow.

10. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug
    My tax bill today was also £12.39 so at least they are consistent!

That makes a total cost of £35.75 ($59.75) which of course is an absurd price. I'm pragmatic though. It's a unique package with masses of extras which I really want and if that's what it costs.... then that's what it costs. There are hardly any other films which I would pay that much for though.

What's wanted on this side of the Atlantic is for a UK or European distributor to be pro-active in obtaining agreements from Crterion (and also Twilight Time for that matter) so that discs with the same material could be released in region B. This has happened ocassionally with identical Criterion material but not very often.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  11. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    A little late to this party...but what's a couple of extra weeks after waiting so long?

To Mr. Harris, who has likened his contribution to creating "a burlap bag from a sow's ear"...well...I would disagree. Of course it wasn't silk - I don't think anyone with a shred of sense expected that given the challenges in just stitching it all back together again - I would liken it more to a finely combed cotton distressed by wear and tear over time. Despite some frayed edges plus a couple of unavoidable patches, this iconic film is now closer to its premiere form than ever previously thought possible. So in terms of the film history alone that you've helped reclaim, this release is of inestimable value. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

To the members of this forum, a sidebar question regarding the restored CINERAMA credit sequence. During the second of my 2 recent viewings (first without and then with commentary), I caught something odd in the credits. At about the 4:22 mark we see a jumble of names with "Keaton" at the very bottom, upside down and at an angle. But then in the following card we see his name again, expressed this time as "Buster Keaton". Has this duplication of "Keaton" always been there and I just never noticed it before, or was it something unique to the 1st roadshow CINERAMA credit sequence? Unfortunately, I don't have the MGM/Fox Blu-ray handy to compare.

Anyone? Bueller?

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Try watching the other Criterion disc...

ROclockCK likes this.
  13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele
    The jumble of names with "Keaton" at the very bottom, upside down and at an angle is also on the MGM Blu-ray. And, if I recall correctly, it's always been that way.

14. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Well-Known Member

Bill Huelbig
    The upside down Keaton has always been there. It was a special thrill to finally see "IN CINERAMA", though.

15. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    Well duhhh...for some stunned reason, that never occurred to me. :blush:

According to other members, that dupe "Keaton" credit has always been there though. Just jumped out this time around...never noticed it before...even in CINERAMA.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just for kicks, I went to Amazon to check out reviews of this Criterion Blu-ray....

...you know, get the "average Joe" perspective on its release...

...and to give something like this justice, you need to click on the 1-star review links.

Now, clearly, I can't sit here totally amused at the "average Joe" perspective. These are
    clearly individuals who have no clue as to the history of this film, the fight to get it restored,
    and the limitations in budget and time to have the job done correctly.

Check out some of these remarks...

17. English Patient

Joseph
    Agreed. I think the average person has an incredibly distorted, naive and optimistic attitude about movie restoration. They'll see one of the marquee catalog titles like Casablanca or Lawrence of Arabia or Gone With the Wind and automatically assume that EVERY older title is capable of being restored in such a way. Watching the Mad World restoration featurette was very enlightening and sobering - the lengths Mr. Harris and his team had to go to just to get a serviceable piece of footage are really breathtaking and admirable. It's a lot like what archaeologists do when they piece together bits of a tattered ancient manuscript. And what is really alarming is that these films aren't thousands of years old, like ancient Middle Eastern tablets - they're less than a hundred years old and yet they are so fragile that they deteriorate significantly even when they're being stored and handled with some care. That's been the recurring theme of most of these restoration featurettes on various blu-rays (such as the "Emulsion Rescue" doc on The Godfather Collection) - the astonishing fragility of film.

Add to this the relatively small amount of funding that goes to restoring these films, and it's a miracle any catalog title gets properly preserved and restored at all.

18. Reed Grele

Reed Grele
    I guess "JSP" must have ignored the disclaimer at the beginning of the restored version that explained what was about to unfold. But, then again, "JSP" probably fast forwarded past the sections that had a black screen with just music playing as well.

19. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    You would think they would at least watch the featurette on the restoration. Those common man reviews aren't even laughable because of the lack of knowledge displayed. I feel for them.

TylerFitzgerald likes this.
  20. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    No matter how many times I warn and explain it to him, a friend of mine makes a lot of his choices judged on Amazon reviews.

After being disappointed with the quality of a disc he'd just bought.
    Me: " Why on earth did you buy that disc?"
    Friend: " I read the reviews (Amazon) and they all said the quality was good."

Some people never learn.

Doug.

ahollis likes this.