What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Thinking of Barrie Chase, I remember when I first saw the MGM blu ray of MW, it was so clear you could read a theater marquee when the chase is coming off the pier looking at the town and CAPE FEAR is playing, which Chase had a small part in.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
evanier said:
It's lovingly framed and on my wall.
I was going to point that Jack Davis was also an artist on Tales From The Crypt but then I realized that you wrote Mad Art so you're probably aware of that. :)

And I gotta say that your Sergio Aragones Stomps Star Wars comic book is a lot of fun.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
evanier said:
Mark, great to have you posting in this thread and how lucky you are to have this piece of movie history. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the commentary you and the others recorded for this.

Also, you've heard this many times, but your blog is fascinating reading where is comes to your experiences in the industry and the homages to Groucho, Stan & Ollie, and the great Dick Cavett. Thank you for the many enjoyable columns you've posted; they always brighten my day.

Also, a "thank you" to those HTF members who responded to my question on the "deleted/extended scenes" on the current MGM BD,

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
evanier said:
Is that the one of everyone on the world reaching for the money ... or the one of everyone running out of the world chasing after the money ... or both?

I check your blog every day. Our interests and political outlook ... and other things ... are identical. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the MAD WORLD restoration. When can we expect it? Here I am being impatient again.

evanier

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Evanier
Joe Lugoff said:
Is that the one of everyone on the world reaching for the money ... or the one of everyone running out of the world chasing after the money ... or both?

I check your blog every day. Our interests and political outlook ... and other things ... are identical. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the MAD WORLD restoration. When can we expect it? Here I am being impatient again.
The one I have is the one of everyone on the world reaching for the money. Interestingly, Peter Falk and Rochester are not on it. They were added at some later stage of the process.As I understand it, the Criterion set is coming out around January 21. Based on what I've seen of the material so far, I think it's going to make a lot of people very happy.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for the response Mark.
It's such a relief to know that the original Jack Davis artwork is safe and lovingly hanging on your wall.
It obviously couldn't be in better hands.

I had feared it was long gone and joined the great comic art in the sky.
Certainly Falk and Rochester missing makes it unique.

Doug.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
evanier said:
The one I have is the one of everyone on the world reaching for the money. Interestingly, Peter Falk and Rochester are not on it. They were added at some later stage of the process.As I understand it, the Criterion set is coming out around January 21. Based on what I've seen of the material so far, I think it's going to make a lot of people very happy.
Well, I meant when can we expect the comments about the restoration on your blog. I get so excited I don't say what I mean sometimes.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I hope Criterion include some sort of printed guide to which scenes were cut after the original roadshow release. One of the things I like about the Blu-ray of South Pacific is the way you can tell which scenes were cut because they are of a different technical quality. This sort of quick-look info was missing from the Lawrence of Arabia discs.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think the technical differences of the restored footage on the new Blu will make it very clear exactly when additions have been made. Far more so than in the LD where often material not deleted was kept in the outtake quality footage to avoid jumpcuts.

Mike Larsen

Auditioning
Just joined up today to express my most sincere thanks to everybody that made this finally happen but especially to Mr. Harris. I've been following the status of the restoration of this movie for a LONG time and without him, I don't believe it would have happened, especially to the degree that we have to look forward to in a couple months. I've refused to purchase ANY version on DVD or Blu-Ray because I wanted the full version. This will be my first Blu-Ray purchase (despite it coming with the DVD's) and will purchase a Blu-ray player for it. And now that I know it's coming, I can purchase the previous Blu-ray release for the documentary. I've literally been waiting for this moment for many, many years.

Mike Larsen

Auditioning
I've been a lurker for many years as I'm a bit of collector for a lot of the older 40's stuff and do a lot of audio restoration. The great thing about IAMMMMW was I felt like Mr. Harris did such a great job explaining what was going on since the very beginning. I remember when he was talking about the restoration but there seemed to be no interest from MGM or elsewhere (besides us fans), thus no funding. I loved seeing the comparison shots of the new restored frames. When I first saw the TCM restoration I was really hoping that we would see a proper release so continued to hold out hope. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited for a proper release. This won't be the first Criterion film I've purchased, but it's certainly the most important as far as I'm concerned. It's also been very cool to be sort of involved in the process, kind of a watching over his shoulder as he worked. It's an honor to have such a fine film be restored by someone who obviously did it out of love, not the love of money. With all the uncut, unreleased, special, limited edition DVDs being released and re-released and re-released, this is honestly the first time I felt it was being done to make sure it was as pure and perfect as possible. Being along for the ride with Mr. Harris has been quite rewarding.

-Mike

P.S. LOVED the screen. It's the only way to watch it at home!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This will be my first Blu-Ray purchase (despite it coming with the DVD's) and will purchase a Blu-ray player for it. And now that I know it's coming, I can purchase the previous Blu-ray release for the documentary. I've literally been waiting for this moment for many, many years.
I bought a Blu-ray player to see a movie, it was the Smilebox version of How The West Was Won (Smilebox version only on the Blu-ray), well worth it. I've only bought Blu-rays for the past couple of years.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Neski said:
wasn't this film shot on 65MM how is 4k enough??
4k is not enough, since 4k in 65mm terms is 2k, and 2k is equivalent to HD.

HD is not high enough resolution for 65mm.

But then again, what might be the purpose?

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Peter Neski said:
wasn't this film shot on 65MM how is 4k enough??
4K is enough for what is being done. While 8K scanning has been used on other 65mm productions, workflow at this point is typically limited to 4K, and 8K scanning is used because it is believed by some to achieve better results after being downrezzed to 4K. Also keep in mind that this reconstruction/restoration is staying strictly within the digital realm (there will be no preservation elements output to film). I defer to RAH above, but I suspect that 4K was chosen for economic reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks