1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: F For Fake (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

ffront.jpg

fback.jpg

F FOR FAKE - Blu–ray Edition
    Trickery. Deceit. Magic. In F for Fake, a free-form documentary by Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), the legendary filmmaker (and self-described charlatan) gleefully reengages with the central preoccupation of his career: the tenuous line between illusion and truth, art and lies. Beginning with portraits of the world-renowned art forger Elmyr de Hory and his equally devious biographer, Clifford Irving, Welles embarks on a dizzying journey that simultaneously exposes and revels in fakery and fakers of all stripes—not the least of whom is Welles himself. Charming and inventive, F for Fake is an inspired prank and a clever examination of the essential duplicity of cinema.
    1975 • 87 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New, restored digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack• Audio commentary from 2005 by cowriter and star Oja Kodar and director of photography Gary Graver• Introduction from 2005 by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich• Orson Welles: One-Man Band, a documentary from 1995 about Welles’s unfinished projects• Almost True: The Noble Art of Forgery, a fifty-two-minute documentary from 1997 about art forger Elmyr de Hory• 60 Minutes interview from 2000 with Clifford Irving about his Howard Hughes autobiography hoax• Hughes’s 1972 press conference exposing Irving’s hoax• Extended, nine-minute trailer• PLUS: An essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

TITLE: F FOR FAKE (BLU-RAY EDITION)  
    CAT. NO: CC2409BD
    UPC: 7-15515-12911-4
    ISBN: 978-1-60465-924-5
    SRP: $39.95  
    PREBOOK: 9/23/14
    STREET: 10/21/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Sold!

3. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Well-Known Member

Jon Paul
    Saw this once, in 1981, on the BBC. They had a series on Welles, and along with this also showed Chimes at Midnight and a documentary on Welles' life. So impressed by both, and have been waiting since then to see them again. Anyone know if Chimes is going to get the Criterion treatment?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Damn expensive end to the year...Who's not getting a Christmas gift...(checking my nice list...)

5. Dale MA

Dale MA Well-Known Member

Dale
    YES!!! I've been waiting for this one on BD for what feels like ages. Massive Welles fan. Hopefully we'll see more BDs from his filmography in the near future.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I've been waiting on this one for ages too. Nearly pulled the trigger on the DVD during the past couple B&N sales. The only way this could of been better is if they did a Welles boxset with Mr. Arkadin and any other titles they can get their hands on.

SAhmed likes this.
  7. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
  8. atcolomb

atcolomb Well-Known Member

Angelo
    One of my first Criterion laserdisc was this and still have this great film. Hope one day Criterion will release Chimes At Midnight but do have a good region 2 PAL dvd with a good print of the film for now.

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I've never seen Chimes At Midnight -- I really need to.

10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    It's definitely one of Welles's best (it helps that he found a good writer).

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Is there a decent edition worth checking out? I've got a region free player so can get it from outside the States if the better options are from overseas.

12. Dale MA

Dale MA Well-Known Member

Dale
    Yes, I'd be interested to hear opinions on the best version available also. Don't actually own Chimes on any format.

13. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Also on the short list of best pre-Zeferelli/Branagh Shakespeare movies ever made. :)

Although that was 50's Welles, back when he was still struggling for independent art, without the safety net of RKO.
    F For Fake is the fat, cynical, uppity "Marlon Brando years" 70's Welles, where he was more interested in being a Mysterious Troublemaker and doing wine-soaked voiceovers than producing anything of lasting value.
    The Criterion writeup is deliberately trying to play up the maddening ending as "Welles' ingenious prank, philosophically exploring the boundaries of artifice", as a sort of He-meant-to-do-that warning for a positive spin. Without fair warning, a first time viewer would pitch the disk out the window after one viewing.

(And before anyone brings up the radio War of the Worlds, no, that wasn't a "Halloween prank", Welles just tried to make a PR statement that would cover the network and his actors without piling unpopularity about pre-war isolationism onto the headlines. THIS is a "prank", and whether it goes over, YMMV.)

14. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Nelson
    Actually, CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT/FALSTAFF is '60s Welles.

As for F FOR FAKE, I think it's quite original and most enthralling. Glad I held out for the Blu-ray; I very nearly bought it at the beginning of the current B&N sale before I heard the news.

15. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I have owned several versions of Chimes at Midnight. The best one I have seen is an ITALIAN REGION 2 RELEASE. It is anamorphic and has the best picture and sound I have yet experienced for this film (it does include the English soundtrack).

As to F for Fake, I have to confess to not being a big fan of it. I think it is worth seeing once or twice, and I think Welles was clever in making something new out of something else; but I see it as sort of a 1-joke film. The re-enacted conversation near the end between Welles and Kodar is laughable, IMO.

16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
  17. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Errol Morris could have done a fantastic real quirky-teasing documentary on art forgery and/or Clifford Irving, since he's a little more caught up in the big-picture of his story subjects and doesn't have his head so far up his reputation.

18. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I have read good things about the Mr Bongo version you are referencing, though I have not seen it. That one, and the sinister Films version (the Italian one) are the only two that are anamorphic. I would not be surprised if they are the same. If you can get a good price, I'd go for either. Just stay away from the Suevia Films Spanish version and the American version with the cartoonish cover.

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    One of Welles' best films. I picked up the DVD years ago just because of his name. What I wasn't prepared for was how thrilling it would be in terms of editing and overall wit. Easily my favorite film of his and of any filmmaker. In one of my film classes, we had to do a shot by shot breakdown of a scene from any film. I picked the opening to F for Fake. My excel document took up ten pages.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Now Available for Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.