1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Press Release: City Lights (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

cityfront.jpg

cityback.jpg

CITY LIGHTS - DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITIONThe most cherished film by Charlie Chaplin (Modern Times) is also his ultimate Little Tramp chronicle. The writer-director-star achieved new levels of grace, in both physical comedy and dramatic poignancy, with this silent tale of a lovable vagrant falling for a young blind woman who sells flowers on the street (a magical Virginia Cherrill) and mistakes him for a millionaire. Though this Depression-era smash was made after the advent of sound, Chaplin remained steadfast in his love for the expressive beauty of the pre-talkie form. The result was the epitome of his art and the crowning achievement of silent comedy.

1931 • 87 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.19:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

• New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance

• Chaplin Today: “City Lights,” a 2003 documentary on the film’s production, featuring Aardman Animations cofounder Peter Lord

• Chaplin Studios: Creative Freedom by Design, a new interview program featuring visual effects expert Craig Barron

• Archival footage from the production of City Lights, including film from the set, with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Hooman Mehran; a costume test; a rehearsal; and a complete scene not used in the film

• Excerpt from Chaplin’s short film The Champion (1915), along with footage of the director with boxing stars at Chaplin Studios in 1918

• Trailers

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins and a 1966 interview with Chaplin

TITLE: City Lights (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC2316BDDVD

UPC: 7-15515-11111-9

ISBN: 978-1-60465-785-2

SRP: $39.95

PREBOOK: 10/15/13

STREET: 11/12/13

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

dana martin likes this.
  2. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Well-Known Member

This Cover is just plain Awful

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    What's up with Criterion issuing a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack? As embarassing as it is, I have to admit that I don't have a blu-ray player yet, so I find this development welcome.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  4. Derrick King

Derrick King Well-Known Member

I'd guess that they've reached a point where the sales of their DVDs is low enough that they can no longer justify doing two separate editions but that DVD buyers are still important enough to service. I also think, looking at the ZATOICHI set, that doing a dual-format release will save them a lot of money on packaging. So much money that it is worth it to, essentially, toss in 18 DVDs for free.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Wow, two of the greatest silent films in one year! I'm really hoping Criterion updates their details to include Carl Davis' re-recording of the score. It's the reason I held onto the Image DVD for so long.

6. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Patrick, the Chaplin estate blocks use of the Carl Davis, so you won't be seeing it again. Hold on to your Image if you must have it.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Finally!

A very welcome release.

The cover art stinks, but the blu-ray will be cherished.

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

So many memorable images from City Lights, how do you choose just one for a cover:

CityLights-1931-stillA.jpg

CityLights-1931-stillB.jpg

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I like the cover art, but then I've always found Seth's work charming. This is my favourite of Chaplin's features, so I'm in for it for sure.

10. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Well-Known Member

charming isn't the word, poor is more like it

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Well-Known Member

Adam_S
    I've got no issue with the cover art, it's not as excellent as Modern Times or as bold as Great Dictator, it's pretty much the same degree of bland as found on the covers of Monsieur Verdoux or Gold Rush.

I'm thrilled this is finally being released, I'd given up hoping it would come out soon after so many years since they first released Modern Times. I figured they'd back burned it to their final Chaplin, or something.

I cannot wait to see this again, and show it to my wife for the first time! :)

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I was thinnking the same thing, and thought for sure that we would be seeing The Circus this time around. So pleased to get this one. My guess is the next release will be Limelight, followed by the Circus. Then King in New York followed by The Kid.

13. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    It would be nice it it looked like Chaplin instead of Stan Laurel...

14. John-Weller

John-Weller Well-Known Member

John
    I like it but, yeah, Stan Laurel came to my mind too!

15. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The New Years Drawing for this year actually had The Kid in it. I suspect they wanted to launch their Dual Format change with a higher profile Chaplin title and therefore moved up City Lights and pushed The Kid to 2014. It's also possible that since The Kid is likely going to be packaged with several of the shorts/The Chaplin Revue that something there held up the release.

16. Escapay

Escapay Well-Known Member

Albert Gutierrez
    I like the cover, too. I haven't seen much from Seth beyond his covers for Make Way for Tomorrow and the revised edition of The Portable Dorothy Parker. But it's a style that I like. Would love to see more Criterion covers done this way.

17. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Premium
    Supporter

Like Russell G, this is my favorite Chaplin film, too. Looking forward to this release.

18. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Well-Known Member

Mychal Bowden
    This was my introduction to Charlie Chaplin; I saw this for a film studies class in college. I'm also looking forward to this release as well.

19. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Well-Known Member

Brent
    A definite buy for me, but am not a fan of Criterion's CC cover art & this is the worst one yet - for his best film, no less!

I know there are numerous restrictions in place, vis-à-vis licensing, the CC estate, etc., but it's a shame we won't get the option of the Carl Davis score or even the mk2/Warner DVD 5.1 remix of the original mono track, which I quite like.

Ditto goes for the various other extras from the Image & mk2/W releases. At least the most important extra, the deleted scene, is being included. Fingers crossed it finally gets a soundtrack, even if it's just a piano score, & that they render it in HD!

Lastly, I hope they use the full aperture of the print, akin to the Image disc, unlike the awful, badly-cropped & off-centre framing of the mk2/W DVDs & the region B BDs...

Here's hoping The Kid will be next, with both extant cuts in HD & framed correctly!

20. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Terrific news, but I agree that the cover looks like Stan Laurel.