What's new

Criterion Newsletter: Magnificent Obsession (1954)? (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn

Sorry if already posted elsewhere. This is from the August Criterion newsletter. I assume this hints at Sirk's "Magnificent Obsession."

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

Sounds like it. Also, Movies Unlimited mentioned a release of this film was coming shortly in one of their news pages.

I hope we get to see more early Sirk on DVD too. I am great fan of the lovely Take Me to Town and of the silly-amusing No Room for the Groom.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I would love to see them include the 1935 John Stahl version, with Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would love to see Criterion tackle Sirk's THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW and the original Stahl version. Errol Morris introduced the Sirk version at Telluride nearly 20 years ago. It's also about time to bring out a letterboxed TARNISHED ANGELS on dvd. Other Sirk selections: INTERLUDE with Stahl's WHEN TOMORROW COMES; THE FIRST LEGION; SLEEP, MY LOVE; and the elusive A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos

A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE is out in R2, most of the others are also out or soon to be by french label Carlotta, including the original films from Stahl.

ted:r

Second Unit
It seems to me that the three directors who are least well represented on DVD are Sirk, Borzage and Boetticher. Any new DVD by Sirk would be greatly appreciated.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
"Magnificent Obsession" is available in Australia via Madman / The Director's Suite as a 2-Disc Set with both Versions:

- Audio Commentary by Dr Mark Nicholls, Senior Lecturer in Cinema at The University of Melbourne
- The original 1935 version of the film by John M Stahl, starring Irene Dunne and Robert Taylor
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks