What's new

Criterion is doing George Washington (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's official - March 2002, Criterion are releasing their special edition of David Gordon Green's recent critical hit George Washington.
Nice to see something brand new in the catalogue.
Others coming up include:
The Fireman's Ball - Milos Forman 1967
Hearts and Minds - Peter Davis 1974
Howard's End - James Ivory 1992
Ikiru - Akira Kurosawa 1952
The Importance of Being Earnest - Anthony Asquith 1952
Ivan's Childhood - Andrei Tarkovsky 1960
Juliet of the Spirits - Federico Fellini 1965
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Powell and Pressburger 1943 (they recorded a Powell & Scorsese commentary for this!)
Loves of a Blonde - Milos Forman 1965
Monterey Pop - DA Pennebaker 1969
La Strada - Federico Fellini 1954
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on October 06, 2001 at 08:09 AM]

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Howard's End - James Ivory 1992
The Importance of Being Ernest - Anthony Asquith 1952
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Powell and Pressburger 1943
La Strada - Federico Fellini 1954 (the wait is over!!!!)
Yay!!!!!! I've been waiting for these. Great news! The current DVD of Howard's End is horrible!

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I may have to replace my copy of Howard's End. It is a horrible, horrible non-anamorphic transfer.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Oh, my aching wallet! Still, I'll be picking up Ikiru, La Strada (did Anthony Quinn contribute in any way to this disc?) Howard's End, and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. I'm assuming the latter will be uncut?
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks for the 411, Jon...those are some great titles. I'm especially glad to hear that they are releasing another highly acclaimed Powell/Pressburger title. I've become quite a fan, thanks entirely to Criterion.
I must sheepishly admit that I don't know what "George Washington" is (I mean, I know who he is, but am not familiar with this film).
But whatever happened to the Criterion "coming soon" title that I have patiently been waiting forever for?...Children of Paradise.
------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I know, I know!
I really want Children of Paradise, Cousin Cousine and especially The Honeymoon Killers and Equinox. We can only be thankful they're giving each and every title the care and time they deserve.
George Washington was released last week in the UK to huge acclaim, though is a very limited release, and I believe has been mainly doing the festival circuits in the US.
Hopefully Criterion's release will get it out to a wider audience, making "Straight-to-Criterion" a new phrase. :) I'm just surprised they're working on something so recent...

Jacques

Grip
I can't believe no one's mentioned/realized this yet, but if this information pans out, a Criterion release of Howards End is momentous for a reason as yet not stated... Unless this is a case of rights lapsing (which I don't think is likely), this would mark the first Criterion DVD license of a Columbia/Tristar title!
Let's take a collective deep breath, and ponder the possibilities. :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
This movie never got released around here. I loved Days of Heaven and so I'm looking forward to seeing this movie on DVD.
~T

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Unless the license has relapsed back to Merchant Ivory, who I remember were reported to be doing something with Home Vision / Janus Films about a year ago.
But who am I to break up the show?
biggrin.gif

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen! The Fisher King!

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Columbia Pictures will no longer own the rights to "Howard's End" from 2002. They obtained a 10 year licence from the film's financiers to distribute the film (via Sony Classic Pictures). Columbia didn't make this film, it was financed by Japanese and British investors. Next year just happens to be the 10th anniversary of the film's release, hence its release on Criterion. Also, the current DVD looks fine and is, indeed, anamorphic.

Jacques

Grip
Actually, I do vaguely remember reading about a Merchant Ivory deal with Criterion on the now defunct DVD.com... The fact that I probably read it in an article (or perhaps an interview?) at DVD.com should probably be an indication of how long ago I read it, and why I didn't make the immediate connection... Sorry that I got people's hopes up.
frown.gif

However, what I do recall from that time period is this, again vaguely: :)
Rumblings, perhaps mere speculation, about Satyajit Ray films being part of the deal... Hmm, sounds like a good question to ask during the upcoming chat. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm very much looking forward to a Criterion Howard's End. The current DVD is fine, but with some of my other favorite M/I films getting some of the SE treatment HE would be a treat.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Finally, Ikiru is my most wanted title on DVD.
And since I just broke down and bought The Apu Trilogy on VHS, I'd expect a DVD announcement any day now
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

[Edited last by Brook K on October 07, 2001 at 02:49 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks