What's new

Criterion in September (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the HD versions, myself. Given these are spanking new xfrs, I have to believe the HD won't be far behind. I can wait a year or two.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I already have the current Brazil set and the anamorphic R3K version of Brazil. I'll hold out for an HD-DVD version. Will buy Seven Samuari on the day of release AND rebuy it in HD-DVD.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Where is this info? On the Criterion site, the coming soon titles as of this writing, only includes 3 for September, not including Playtime.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Some are questioning the specs for Playtime since they appear identical to the OOP edition, while the price has increased from $29.95 to $39.95, and most were expecting a loaded special edition. Guess we'll have to wait for Criterion to post the official specs on the website.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I had been led to believe that this would be a worthy upgrade, not just a slight change in the cover, which is the only difference I see so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something worthwhile.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm definitely getting SEVEN SAMURAI (never did buy the original release), and maybe even the BRAZIL set (never bought the original of that one either). Now if Criterion would redo THE SEVENTH SEAL.....

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who can play R2 discs, you may want to consider the excellent British Film Institute's version of Playtime, that's already available:

Commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
Short documentary 'Au-dela de Playtime'
Sylvette Baudrot on Tati and Playtime
Director biography

The print is good and even if the Criterion turns out to look better, it lacks a commentary track.

As for the other releases, I can't wait for the Seven Samurai (I have it as part of a Criterion box set, so can sort of justify the new version as well ;)) and the Spirit of the Beehive (there's a R2 version already available, but I don't like the print quality all that much).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Playtime 2-disc specs from criterionco.com:

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
#
All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
Video introduction by writer, director, and performer Terry Jones
#
Selected scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
#
Au-delà de "Playtime," a short documentary featuring archival behind-the-scenes footage from the set
#
Tati Story, a short biographical film about Tati
#
“Jacques Tati in Monsieur Hulot’s Work,” a 1976 BBC Omnibus program featuring Tati
#
Rare audio interview with Tati from the U.S. debut of Playtime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival
#
Video interview with script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot
#
Cours du soir, a 1967 short film written by and starring Tati
#
Alternate international soundtrack
#
New and improved English subtitle translation
#
PLUS: A new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Oshima was one of the primary director's of the Japanese New Wave. His most famous or perhaps, notorious, film is In The Realm of the Senses.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I wonder whether they are using the complete (restored?) 70mm print that the Tati estate aparently has for the Playtime transfer, instead of the 35mm version used for the previous release.

Nkosi

Stunt Coordinator
September redeemed!!!

After the sham that is Sept. 12's non-anamorphic Star Wars Trilogy release I can now once again be excited about September!

Criterion's bringing the heat!! Wow, I'm souped!

This announcement (which we've all been patiently waiting for) has me all giddy. I'll tell you, Criterion never fails. I just love them. I really do. Seven Samurai is quite possibly my favorite film of all time. I can't wait to dig into all these titles. I'm ecstatic!

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Definitely double-dipping on Seven Samurai (and I was pretty happy with the previous release). :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Eric Gripp

Agent
How come Seven Samurai isn't anamorphic? Does anamorphic only apply to films that aren't 1.37 (1.33) Academy Flat? Some technical explanation would be good, because I would really like to understand how this works for that aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks