1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion, how about these Universal titles?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian W, May 29, 2004.

1. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Since Criterion seems to have a relationship with Universal (Charade, Written on the Wind, All That Heaven Allows)...why not consider the following(?)-

Madame X
    Backststreet

maybe 30's and 60' version of both, but especilaly the Lana and Hayward versions in the 60's.

Also and especially Maginficent Obsession!

Not to mention DVDs that Universal already released with mixed results, these titles deserve the Criterion attention...

Pillow Talk
    Imitation of Life
    I could go on and on...

2. Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you love it if Criterion got their hands on Scarface, or The Pianist, or 21 Grams?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Universal really ought to license Napoleon (Abel Gance film) to Criterion. I think there are rights problems right now (between Universal, Zoetrope Studios, and StudioCanal), but when resolved...

I feel that Criterion would be able to do a better job with marketing and overall product than Universal would. Not only that, Criterion would be able to justify the cost of remastering the nearly 5 1/2 hr. long film, paying for commentaries (One with Kevin Brownlow and Robert Harris would be fantastic), and offering both the Carmine Coppola and Carl Davis musical scores.

Plus, Criterion would likely retain the two intermissions for the film, thus splitting the film onto 3 discs (meaning less than an hour per layer!) Universal's R2/R4 release of the film crams the 4 hr. version onto one DVD-9.

4. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Well-Known Member

This might go on deaf ears but I think if Criterion is to release another Universal title it should be Dune; I here that a R1 SE is currently being worked on without any Lynch input.

5. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Well-Known Member

me...im looking for them to keep the Gilliam streak going, and 12 Monkeys will be 10 years old next year.

this really needs to happen.

6. Magnus Nord

Magnus Nord Active Member

I wanna see Dune made by Criterion or Blade Runner.. the last one is pure dreams though.. :/

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Indeed, Universal's 12 Monkeys SE is very good as is....maybe a newer transfer but that is all you would really need to upgrade....and I personally would rather just wait for an HD-DVD transfer.

8. RobertM.Fleming

the 12 Monkeys SE is OK at best....just like the original Fear & Loathing universal released

and look at what a fantastic job Criterion did with that one.

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Well-Known Member

The Universal release of 12 Monkeys and Fear and Loathing don't even compare.

Fear and Loathing has 3 deleted scenes, a crummy 10 minute documentary, and a trailer.
    12 Monkeys has an audio commentary, a great 90-minute documentary, production photos and a trailer.

I don't see the need for a Criterion release of 12 Monkeys as the current disc is very good. Criterion probably wouldn't even offer a better transfer, as their transfer of Fear and Loathing is the same as the Universal transfer.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Well-Known Member

To be honest, I never thought I would see Videodrome: Criterion Collection - but it's on it's way. So what else may Criterion have up their sleeves?

Which obscure classic/cult films are Universal likely to hand over to Criterion?

What about Sometimes A Great Notion (1971, Paul Newman) with Paul Chart's Conversation with Ken Kesey and a commentary by Paul Newman and cinematographer, Richard Moore?

11. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Well-Known Member

How about Lost Highway ? Doesn't Universal have the rights to this now? As long as we're hoping, let's hope for something that has NEVER been released on DVD.

12. RobertM.Fleming

point taken...but I was also under the impression that some of the later pressings of 12 monkeys didnt have some of the special features

I know they arent listed on the back of the disks anymore.

My main point is that they seem to love giving the Terry Gilliam stuff the special treatment. and with its 10year approaching, it seems likely it to will become one of the collection.

13. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Well-Known Member

The Criterion releases of relatively obscure Universal films I'm most hoping for are:

Privilege - Peter Watkins' terrifically bleak and remarkably prophetic 1967 docudrama on media/corporate manipulation of the music industry

Letter from an Unknown Woman - Max Ophuls' devastating, ravishing doomed romance

Make Way for Tomorrow - Leo McCarey's masterful weepie about an elderly couple forced to separate when they lose their home and none of their children are able to take them in ("It would make a stone cry" said Orson Welles, and went on to directly inspire Ozu's Tokyo Story)

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Well-Known Member

There are 2 versions of 12 Monkeys, the DTS release is bare-bones. Perhaps that's the one you were looking at.

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Well-Known Member

Lost Highway has been released on DVD. I have the R0 Australian DVD, and am extremely pleased with it. On another note, I am so all over the SE of Videodrome. Some of the best DVD news I have ever heard.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Yes, the separate DTS release of 12 Monkeys had little to none of the extra content (ala, Apollo 13) that the DD title had.

To each his own but I see nothing wrong with the rather excellent current DVD, certainly nothing that requires a Criterion or Universal re-release before any possible HD-DVD.

17. Thomas T

Thomas T Well-Known Member

Jon, Letter From An Unknown Woman doesn't belong to Universal but is part of the Republic library now controlled by Artisan and soon to revert to Paramount.

Criterion did a laser disc of Ophuls' Letter From An Unknown Woman as well as several other titles from the Republic library including High Noon and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

18. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Well-Known Member

Justin, is that Lost Highway disc anamorphic? Any extras? Where did you get it? - Thanks

19. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Well-Known Member

Oh, bugger. Well thanks for the info, ThomasC! At least Paramount might give it decent treatment.

20. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Well-Known Member

In reading about the extras on VIDEODROME I notice there is no mention of the extra footage used on the A&E broadcast of a few years ago. The footage was mentioned in VideoWatchDog and Tim Lucas appears to be involved with this DVD. It is nothing special but it does add to the story.