What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Moe,
Blue Is poses a conundrum for us spine number collectors. When Criterion releases the version with supplements, they will probably issue it with a different spine number, forcing us to double dip.
Otherwise, I'm ecstatic. Foreign Correspondent, Jules and Jim, Throne of Blood, King of the Hill and The Underneath (both so underrated), Tess, Mr. Fox... Wow! Time to start saving our pennies.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Jose, I'm right there with you, I'm also a spine number collector. No other reason to own Bergman Island...I'd bet anything they will NOT use a new spine number for the re-do though.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Brandon Conway said:
My guess is that IFC wants them to have it out before Oscar season. I imagine the special features version will show up by mid-Summer or so.
I feel like they will wait longer - more like a year. If they were busting to just get the big package out I'd agree on summer but I think they might want to have a bit of a window between the two larger than a few months. What was the situation with Tennenbaums, that was 2 versions right? Did they come out at the same time?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Exactly, and don't forget things like having to keep DVD versions around when the Blu upgrades lose spine numbers like Fanny and Alexander and the Cassavettes box.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Moe Dickstein said:
Tony - Foreign Correspondent!
Russell G said:
and King of the Hill! And Mr. Fox! C'mon Tony! COME ONE! :P
I will look into the forst two more but Fox is a definite NO.I love Anderson but that one was not interesting even a little.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
TonyD said:
I will look into the forst two more but Fox is a definite NO.I love Anderson but that one was not interesting even a little.
If you like Hitchcock, FC is an underrated gem. All the elements of his great 30's and 40's adventure/spy films, and the cover shows the famous and often stolen scene with the black umbrellas...

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
Costs are prohibitive for Criterion to do this. Don't expect it unless you hear Universal is doing work on it.
Re: Spartacus. Would a new scan/restoration cost more than the work done on Heaven's Gate? I don't understand the costs involved but I guess it's not my place to question. The film was restored in 1991 and should have been the basis of a good blu-ray. That said I guess 1991 is like ancient times with regard to restorations etc. I hope as Ed does ...as do many more people that Universal wakes up and foots the bill/with Criterion to produce a really good blu ray in 4k for future viewing.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Fun fact: Fantastic Mr. Fox is the first animated film Criterion has released since Akira back in 1992.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
With all the Truffaut titles Criterion has, I believe Jules and Jim is only the second to get the Blu treatment, The 400 Blows being the other.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I got Fantastic Mr. Fox a few years ago on Blu Ray. It's a wonderful movie. Even knowing Wes Anderson's relationship with Criterion, I didn't think 20th Century Fox would license a family film. Clearly I was wrong.
Does this mean I should hold off on getting Moonrise Kingdom?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Paul Rossen said:
Re: Spartacus. Would a new scan/restoration cost more than the work done on Heaven's Gate? I don't understand the costs involved but I guess it's not my place to question. The film was restored in 1991 and should have been the basis of a good blu-ray. That said I guess 1991 is like ancient times with regard to restorations etc. I hope as Ed does ...as do many more people that Universal wakes up and foots the bill/with Criterion to produce a really good blu ray in 4k for future viewing.
It's been said to me by someone who knows that the cost to do Spartacus is prohibitive, beyond that I don't know nothin more. I'd bet that Moonrise Kingdom will eventually show up on CC.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
wacky-11-13.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks