What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
My dad was just asking about City Lights from Criterion today.

Does this mean the Mad World speculation thread gets to go on for another month? Awesome!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
City Lights and Tokyo Story I was waiting for.

that Zatoichi set though made me s**t my pants. I had no idea it would be so massive and awesome. I AM IN!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And I still can't get over DUAL FORMATS seemingly for everything going forward, and looks like the end of Eclipse as well.And yep, one more month of Mad World discussion - but we 1000% know it's coming, I've confirmed that about 6 different ways

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
It's become such an abominable cliche to describe something and people use it to describe seemingly anything and everything so far elves from its definition, but really, there is no other word for that Zatoichi set than...AWESOME.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Frances Ha was pretty good.

Moe Dickstein said:
I am just so blown over about the Dual Format switch. Finally the next step in the elimination of DVD has been taken :)
My only problem with that is that most likely, a $40 MSRP will now be minimum no matter how light the disc is on special features. Given the relatively small number of $30 titles they release, it's not a huge deal but I'm glad that The Uninvited is coming out just in time so that I don't have to pay for a DVD that I don't want.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My only problem is .....

I don't want any damned DVDs of new releases! I haven't liked getting this from ANY studio or distributor since the practice was implemented.

My heart sank a little bit when I saw the first postings about it earlier.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, I'm not really understanding the philosophy of this. Why not just drop the dvd version altogether if it's not economically viable on its own? Why saddle blu-ray owners with dvds they probably don't want? (In my case, I definitely don't want.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
Yeah, I'm not really understanding the philosophy of this. Why not just drop the dvd version altogether if it's not economically viable on its own? Why saddle blu-ray owners with dvds they probably don't want? (In my case, I definitely don't want.)
Criterion titles are already expensive enough (regardless of the B&N sales).

If this makes them more expensive... :thumbsdown:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mike Frezon said:

Well, hopefully it won't. Maybe the prices will remain the same, even on the $30 ones. Maybe they're just trying to save on the extra costs of printing the dvd size artwork and booklets and supplying dvd size cases.But, yeah, if we have to pay for these unwanted dvds, then :thumbsdown:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:

If they get too expensive, I'll just buy less of them. Many of the Criterion titles are not "must" buys for me so it will make my purchasing decision even easier.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

Looking at the MSRPs of the November titles, they're still $40 so the inclusion of the DVD hasn't increased the price. The test will be when there's a Blu-ray that's really light on special features and it's either $30 (as they've previously been) or are now $40 (because of the DVD).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
TravisR said:
Looking at the MSRPs of the November titles, they're still $40 so the inclusion of the DVD hasn't increased the price. The test will be when there's a Blu-ray that's really light on special features and it's either $30 (as they've previously been) or are now $40 (because of the DVD).
Exactly. And I'd bet there's a good chance those stay $30, as the disc was probably the least expensive element of the DVD releases the last few years as compared the doubling up the packaging/booklets.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert Crawford said:
If they get too expensive, I'll just buy less of them. Many of the Criterion titles are not "must" buys for me so it will make my purchasing decision even easier.
This has been my policy from the start. I have no need for a dvd so I'm not happy about this.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
So give the DVD to a friend or donate it to the library.It's the same price as just a blu.It's the same sized case.What's the problem? Don't like free stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks