What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I would love it, providing it didn't turn into a pissing contest which can sometimes happen when cinephiles get together, LOL. Those days are done for me. I loved seeing your setup though and wish I had the space to do the same. But I did finally get my entire collection cataloged so no more buying the same title twice and I know where find something when I need it. Thanks for sharing the pic of your admirable collection.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Moe, I also applaud your collection. I'm nowhere near that level on the Criterions, but I do have a healthy number in the cabinets.
I think I'm probably at the 150-200, including Blus, DVDs and some laserdiscs that have never been ported over.

Similar to your mode of operation, I keep my Criterions on the highest two levels of both sides of one cabinet. People have asked me why I did that - I said "Because they're top shelf". As a scotch collector as well, I figured the analogy was appropriate.

I too live in Los Angeles, and would be happy to get together with other HTF folk in the neighborhood some time.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
By the way, Derrick, that wouldn't be a Hamburgler icon you're using to ask when Moe leaves home, is it?...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
One benefit to living alone, nobody can tell me I can't use 1/3 of my wall space for movie storage. Oh yeah you have to have the catalog. That's the reason I bought the Apple spreadsheet numbers - I make sure I'm good about entering every film I buy in a master sheet that gets synced up to my phone for checking when I'm out shopping so I don't come home with another copy of Gattaca...

I am so weak that I decided to use one more coupon on the last day of the sale and I got the last 3 DVDs I needed so my collection is now complete, outside of 2 DVDs that I am skipping due to upcoming Blu re-issues (one announced one imminent - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tokyo Story).

It feels weird having them all, it's something I used to dream of as a 15 year old with the old printed Voyager/Criterion catalog of laserdiscs, what a fantasy it would be to collect them all - something impossible when they were between $50 and $125 each! Over the next few years once I pay my credit cards off again I'm going to work on completing the LD spines while I keep the BD releases current, mostly at BN Sales.

Maybe we should start a thread about an LA meetup? I think it's great just to meet up with likeminded folk and HTF people I've met weren't the pissing contest type so I think we'd be safe there. I'm not sure where everyone is (I'm in Sherman Oaks) but maybe something like a weekend lunch at Canters or something like that would be somewhat central for most? Of course there would be more parking in the valley...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
If I were out there, I'd for sure participate in a little meet-up now and then.

Heck, I'd like it if we could get something going around here in the metro-NYC area. A few of us in Connecticut do get together to watch movies now and then, and that's always great. But there have to be additional opportunities for meeting and doing whatever, that we just aren't taking advantage of. I can tell you that it is VERY satisfying and refreshing to spend the occasional afternoon or evening with people who are like-minded and can talk up a storm about the things we're all pretty passionate about.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm in Scotland, if someone pays for the airline ticket and has a room for me and food and beer then i'll come over.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Brandon Conway said:
And since they mention it by name they more than likely picked up The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which would be amazing.
I have the Fox-Lorber DVD of "Cherbourg" and it does not look good up-converted on my Blu-Ray. HOWEVER, TCM is showing it right now (5-7:00 pm 8-12-13), and it looks MUCH better. Which is surprising. Usually TCM movies look bad compared to Blu-Ray/DVD titles. I honestly do not understand, but I wish Criterion would pick up all the Demy titles and issue them on Blu-Ray. All of them are really wonderful films. Back to my TCM "Cherbourg" which I am DVRing.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
No need to wait for Criterion for Demy's Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, as this sublime movie has been given a great release in France on the Arte label and I'm pretty sure it's multi-region as it played on my Oppo without any need to change regions from its default Region A setting.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I think that Les Demoiselles de Rochefort is, unfortunately, still with Miramax.

I don't recall this being mentioned, here are the Demy films that Criterion has the rights to:
Donkey SkinThe Umbrellas of CherbourgA Room in TownA Slightly Pregnant ManBay of AngelsLola

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
First deduced November title:Frances HaTokyo Story page is showing backorder only so that looks likely for November Blu upgradeupdate: this has been put into the text on the page for TS:"New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks