What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
EddieLarkin said:
In the future, perhaps pricing debate should be left until closer to release date? The Uninvited and I Married a Witch are now $29.95
Actually no, because it wasn't an error initially.They changed the pricing on those two due to the widespread public displeasure across Facebook and various Internet forums. The PDF sell sheets went out originally with the higher prices as well and were altered, which wouldn't have happened if the original price was just a website template glitch. There is precedent for them changing prices soon after announcement. In the early days they tried doing several single disc Blus for $49.95 and they backed off that to $39.95 after complaints.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I imagine that the sell sheets and the website listings are both based on the same internal list within their marketing department, which was more than likely simply incorrect as to the intended MSRP. Believe me, it's not a stretch by any means to believe that it was a simple pricing error that got corrected. I've seen far more egregious errors by major companies based on copy-pasting that take more than one day to correct. A policy change on the pricing probably would have taken far longer than the next day.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Just finished reading the nearly 250 (at this time) comments on the Criterion Facebook page and read only 5 or 6 complaining about the price point for the 2 titles. They were far more outnumbered (about 15 to 1, literally) with people upset that they're not releasing Scanners and Eraserhead in October. One poor deluded soul even thought they were going to release Halloween for Halloween. But I'm still glad they lowered the price for both (or corrected the listing, whichever the case may be.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
...with people upset that they're not releasing Scanners and Eraserhead in October.
I can't say that it bothers me but I figured/hoped that one or both of those would be in the October slate. I guess I can take some solace in knowing that Criterion isn't like the studios that can only release horror movies (maybe neither exactly fits being labeled as a horror movie but it's close enough) in September or October so it's not like I'll have to wait until next fall for them.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I finally caved last week and bought the UK BD of SCANNERS. It looks great, with some nice interview-based extras. I absolutely HATE steelbooks though!

Wonderful film. I hope that when Criterion get around to doing this title, some of their extras mention Patrick McGoohan's stunning contribution to this film. I'd go as far as to say that without him, this film wouldn't be nearly as powerful. He gives it such gravitas and somehow manages to ground his scenes firmly in reality, despite the preposterousness of the plot.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Sweet. I guess Janus was able to make a separate deal with the Tati estate then?

...still wish that they could swing something to get the Canal titles back though.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lord Dalek said:
Sweet. I guess Janus was able to make a separate deal with the Tati estate then?

...still wish that they could swing something to get the Canal titles back though.
I'd love it too but also i'd love to see them get The Silence Of The Lambs, RoboCop, Armageddon - Directors Cut and several more.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Moe Dickstein said:
They turned down re-issuing Silence of the Lambs and probably Robocop too.
Shame, i'd love a better transfer of both and that commentary track on lambs, i guess they figure sales would be low since they are so cheap to buy at the moment, personally i'd spend extra for a quality release of both.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Moe Dickstein said:
Their reasoning was that they couldn't improve on the MGM SE.
Just changing from MPEG2 and keeping a bit more film grain intact in some scenes would be an improvement, also get the director involved and go back to the original look of the film, i felt the MGM changed this in some scenes, maybe i am wrong on that and maybe the director was involved with the MGM release.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I notice in today's New York Times that ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK is playing this week with a Rialto logo in the advertisement - is there still a connection between these folks and Criterion? A Blu Carpenter would be nice to see in the collection.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wade Sowers said:
I notice in today's New York Times that ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK is playing this week with a Rialto logo in the advertisement - is there still a connection between these folks and Criterion? A Blu Carpenter would be nice to see in the collection.
Shout/Scream factory I think hinted on Facebook that they had that one in the works for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks