What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Finally, we're getting The Uninvited! A serious attempt at a ghost story that holds up very well, and has been very influential.

677_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Folks, you all have me to thank this time, because I finally bought the Cassavetes box last November. And I love it so much I'm damned if it's getting replaced with a more diminutive looking package anytime soon.

I'm happy to upgrade Eyes w/o a Face, though.

So, what's next? Well, we only have to ask what other sizable Criterion DVD package I've finally purchased in the past year or so.

Ah, here it is: Tomorrow I'm picking up the Dreyer box after a year of keeping that one on the back burner. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Charles Smith said:
Folks, you all have me to thank this time, because I finally bought the Cassavetes box last November. And I love it so much I'm damned if it's getting replaced with a more diminutive looking package anytime soon.

I'm happy to upgrade Eyes w/o a Face, though.

So, what's next? Well, we only have to ask what other sizable Criterion DVD package I've finally purchased in the past year or so.

Ah, here it is: Tomorrow I'm picking up the Dreyer box after a year of keeping that one on the back burner. :)
I'll thank you for the Cassavetes boxset since I've had in my cart more times than not but never bought it.

I'll advise waiting a little bit more on the Dreyer box. I think that MOC put out a hi-def Passion of Joan of Arc that Criterion hasn't got around to yet on Bluray, it would be a real shame if they upgraded that boxset and stuck it in there with it. That's the fear I have anyways, which is why I've not grabbed it yet!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ISLAND OF LAST SOULS last year and now THE UNINVITED this year. I am a happy camper. Looks like October will be an expensive month.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
They've never added a former stand-alone title to an existing box-set so I'd say that if they do the Blu upgrade on Joan, it's going to stay standalone.What they have done is upgrade single titles from Box Sets and released them alone (Orpheus, Au Revoir Les Enfants)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
ahollis said:
ISLAND OF LAST SOULS last year and now THE UNINVITED this year. I am a happy camper. Looks like October will be an expensive month.
Yeah, Big month. I'm in for Uninvited, Witch, Eyes and Cassavettes. I usually wait for the sales, but Uninvited I'll probably spring for on a pre-order since I've been wanting to see it for years.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No kidding. YEARS, we've been waiting for even a piddling decent DVD release. This is the best possible news.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I am thrilled about these titles! I Married a Witch and The Uninvited FINALLY making it (and in the same month)! And I can't wait to upgrade Eyes Without a Face.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And now I'm finding how bare bones a couple of these new titles are -- and how, instead of dropping them from the $40 to the $30 price level, which had been looking like the practice for this kind of thing, Criterion's now leaving them at $40. Ouch.

Yes, great cover art on The Uninvited. Better enjoy it -- it seems to be one of the "extras" in this new Criterion age.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Charles Smith said:
And now I'm finding how bare bones a couple of these new titles are -- and how, instead of dropping them from the $40 to the $30 price level, which had been looking like the practice for this kind of thing, Criterion's now leaving them at $40. Ouch.

Yes, great cover art on The Uninvited. Better enjoy it -- it seems to be one of the "extras" in this new Criterion age.
? It depends on the titles. The Uninvited and I Married a Witch are far and away exceptions. Look at the extras on the upcoming Autumn Sonata, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Safety Last and Eyes Without a Face among others. I don't think this is a new "age" exactly. Plus, I don't think anyone buys Criterions at full price, even on their own website.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
No this is a pretty disappointing month, that's the consensus in the "Criterion following" community.Witch and Uninvited should both be at the $30 tier with that level of extras. You can't count Spy and Eyes because they are reissues from the days when they did a lot more with extras than they have been doing lately. Autumn Sonata is a substantial upgrade, but nothing new is being done with the Cassavettes set. Someone on the other forum said these releases were made for the November BN half off sale and I'd tend to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks