What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (4 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Moe Dickstein said:
That's why I'm glad to already have the DVD lol. Just get the new one and keep both. Ill sell my Autumn Sonata and Spy was one of the few I still had left to buy thankfully!

i don't own it yet, but in cases like these I tend to lean towards not buying it period rather then buy both or compromise between one or the other. I'm stubborn like that. :P

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Autumn Sonata upgraded... A dream that came true. My favorite Bergman masterpiece in HD... Imagine all those intense, intensive close-ups of Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Bergman and Lena Nyman in glorious 1080p...

Take my money and run, please.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
La Cage Aux Folles, The Bergman/Rosselini Trilogy, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold for me. Don't mind upgrading the latter.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Russell G said:
i don't own it yet, but in cases like these I tend to lean towards not buying it period rather then buy both or compromise between one or the other. I'm stubborn like that. :P
I think I'd feel the same way if I wasn't just buying every single spine. I'm just under 600 right now, so most all the Blu upgrades are re-buys for me now. Slacker is a stacked 2 Disc DVD so I think they just ran out of space on the Blu disc and it wasn't worth going out to 2 discs at $50, but they could have also kept the big booklet that way too. The one that burns me is Last Emperor, 4 disc DVD versus 1 disc Blu. One I don't mind is Tin Drum, the old version is totally different with different extras so it's worth having both.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Cremildo said:
Autumn Sonata upgraded... A dream that came true. My favorite Bergman masterpiece in HD... Imagine all those intense, intensive close-ups of Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Bergman and Lena Nyman in glorious 1080p...

Take my money and run, please.
It should be absolutely gorgeous in HD. Can't wait.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
latest newsletter clue:
wackyearths.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's got to be "Earthquake" right? :P

"It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" makes since since their are 4 earths getting angrier, but as a Criterion? Doesn't make a lot of sense!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Russell G said:
"It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" makes since since their are 4 earths getting angrier, but as a Criterion? Doesn't make a lot of sense!
I know it's impossible, but dang, that's just TOO GOOD a guess! :blink:

Maybe Criterion wants to experiment with Smileboxed Cinerama, to keep the restoration momentum going??
(Besides, it's an MGM/UA title, isn't it?)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Mad World is shot single strip ultra Panavision so it should not be smileboxed. I thought this was impossible but what else makes sense? What a coup that would be!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
Mad World is shot single strip ultra Panavision so it should not be smileboxed.I thought this was impossible but what else makes sense? What a coup that would be!
Think the existing MGM edition we have is the broadcast/normal-widescreen cut, so this could be just a theatrical restoration print. (Widescreen with a big W.)
Could use it, from what I remember.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Perhaps Criterion got involved in restoring some roadshow footage that wasn't in the existing blu-ray?

Outside of potential extras, this would have to trump the MGM release in some way. I'm not too keen on double dipping just for the features (unless they're truly outstanding). Well except for some improved cover art which is all but certain.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
Mad World is shot single strip ultra Panavision so it should not be smileboxed.I thought this was impossible but what else makes sense? What a coup that would be!
I saw Mad World projected on the Cinerama screen during it's original Roadshow run in NYC in Nov 1963 and would not be against a smilebox version. Though I would have thought it impossible/improbable that Criterion would release a new Mad World blu ray the 50th Anniversary of this star studded extravaganza is coming up in November. Perhaps the forces of MGM/Fox and Criterion have been working on a new restoration. Who knows? Perhaps it's just wishful thinking...

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I wish those circles were nickels and dimes (COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN).

However, there are four of those "circles" (MAD, MAD, MAD,MAD). So, IAMMMMW seems like a good guess.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just want to point out my "Mad World" guess was an absolute guess, I don't want people yelling at me when it ends up being a foreign film of some sort! :laugh:

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Russell G said:
Just want to point out my "Mad World" guess was an absolute guess, I don't want people yelling at me when it ends up being a foreign film of some sort! :laugh:
I'm pretty sure it's correct. The clue is just too much of a perfect fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks