What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The best bet it to try an Ebay store that shows the # of the product instock. The Ebay instock tally goes down instantly when an order is made. An example.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks. I've been looking at that one, and I saw that the 4 out of the 10 copies were indeed bought today. However, that's the same seller I tried getting one from through Amazon, and got the "temporarily out of stock" reply upon placing the order.

EDIT: Okay, I did it and got no similar notice, and the eBay confirmation showing an estimated delivery date has arrived. We'll see what happens.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ebay stores are usually pretty good about showing what they have actually in stock vs "virtual" stock. Also, I've run into a few odd situations where I've been ably to successfully buy an item from a web retailer through their Ebay store when the item wasn't available on their own website or Amazon store. Hopefully this case doesn't turn out to be an exception.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
This is one of those times I'm so glad to live close to a B&N that literally carries every single Criterion disc. They even have some Tati in stock still. If I wasn't collecting every spine I wouldn't rush out to get these, but I definitely don't want to get caught having to pay $100 for a title again like with The Third Man...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
My thought was something like "The Mouse That Roared" with all of Europe laughing at them, but that's pretty weak.
At least it was better than mine: My first thought was the Three Stooges' world map from their Hitler parodies, but...nahh, Sony still owned those.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Criterion has the rights to 18 Satyajit Ray films

Having bought the home video rights of The Apu Trilogy, Charulata, Mahanagar and Nayak among others, they are set to do "frame by frame" restoration before distributing them in the US and Canada. What's more, director Abbey Lustgartern is in town to film personal accounts shared by artistes who have worked with Ray, to go with each film.
Location coordinator Abhra Bhattacharya, who is helping Abbey, says the only film whose restoration is complete so far is Jalsaghar. "From colour correction to scratch removal, the team working on this project is going all out to ensure that the films' longevity is improved. By April 2014, all other films will be restored...

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Happily for me, one of the Amazon sellers came through on Mafioso. The eBay seller did not, however, in spite of the "unit count" reflecting that I had one of the "10-plus" copies. So much for that. They sent an "offer to refund" note which - fortunately - works for me this time (as long as I actually see the refund).

But, sheesh -- inventory management, anyone? This was "moviemars" who also had them listed on Amazon. It looks like they sell zillions of copies of zillions of products every day, so, a real crap shoot, at least in times like this.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Charles Smith said:
Happily for me, one of the Amazon sellers came through on Mafioso. The eBay seller did not, however, in spite of the "unit count" reflecting that I had one of the "10-plus" copies. So much for that. They sent an "offer to refund" note which - fortunately - works for me this time (as long as I actually see the refund).

But, sheesh -- inventory management, anyone? This was "moviemars" who also had them listed on Amazon. It looks like they sell zillions of copies of zillions of products every day, so, a real crap shoot, at least in times like this.
Yeah, I was very disappointed in them myself. Didn't help that it took them a week to update the status of the item to "pending."

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I ended up getting 2 Mafioso copies because one of the Amazon sales didnt cancel. If someone needs one PM me and we can do a deal.Edit - gone now

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Looks like THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE Blu-ray will be announced on Monday. Criterion was asked the following question on their facebook page
Big C, for the July announcements, can you give us a hint as for what spine #666 will be? Pretty please?
and they responded
There may be a backbone involved.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Derrick King said:
Looks like THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE Blu-ray will be announced on Monday. Criterion was asked the following question on their facebook page
and they responded
I predicted Spine #666 for The Devil's Backbone on criterionforum.org a little over a month ago. Too good of a pun for Criterion to pass up.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's the best choice aside from Rosemary's BAby or The Devils lolBrandon, how do you deal with the people at the .org forum? I gave up trying to post there everyone is so pretentious and childish all at the same time lol

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Moe Dickstein said:
It's the best choice aside from Rosemary's BAby or The Devils lolBrandon, how do you deal with the people at the .org forum? I gave up trying to post there everyone is so pretentious and childish all at the same time lol
I stay out of the threads dealing with conversations directly discussing the quality of the films and stick to the threads with announcements/conversations about potential upcoming titles. I don't think I could handle it otherwise. :D

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm having a ball of a time reading their Blu thread from before BD was announced, all the people who were SO sure that Criterion would:a) never go BDb) never release every new title in BD/DVD concurrentlyc) charge 2x the price for BDd) never go back and re-issue older DVDs as BDthe .com forum is pretty great and welcoming, I highly recommend stopping over there.

Richard M S

Screenwriter

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Email received from B&N.......Richard IIINow is the spring of your contentment, for the new Criterion Collection Blu-ray of Laurence Olivier's celebrated 1955 Shakespeare adaptation ''Richard III'' is available today at Barnes & Noble -- three weeks earlier than anywhere else. Criterion produced this edition using a new high-definition digital master of the Film Foundation's 2012 restoration, and the bonus material includes an interview with Olivier from a 1966 episode of ''Great Acting.''Available NowList Price $39.99 Blu-ray: $36.99

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Charles Smith said:
I stay away from MovieMars as they regularly reseal used items and sell them as NEW. They reseal everything they sell, whether used or new, so it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get, no matter how they describe it. Also they have never once responded to an individual question I have had about an item they are selling. That's a problem with most of the mega-sellers on Amazon which is another reason why I keep my distance from them.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I didn't get that BN email, but I did get one with a 20% off coupon today...For anyone who cares, the $36.99 price is good in store for Richard III, so I'm gonna go use my membership and coupon and snag a deal :)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Professor Echo said:
I stay away from MovieMars as they regularly reseal used items and sell them as NEW. They reseal everything they sell, whether used or new, so it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get, no matter how they describe it. Also they have never once responded to an individual question I have had about an item they are selling. That's a problem with most of the mega-sellers on Amazon which is another reason why I keep my distance from them.
Whoa. Thanks for the heads up on that, Professor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks