What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (4 Viewers)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have no clear idea what this clue means:
lonely_plates.jpg
I was going to take a wild stab in the dark & guess Jean Eustache's BAD COMPANY (LES MAUVAISES FREQUENTATIONS) which is a compilation of his first 2 short films ROBINSON'S PLACE(1963) & SANTA CLAUS HAS BLUE EYES (1966). SANTA CLAUS HAS BLUE EYES, which stars jean-Pierre Leaud, was apparently shot from the leftover raw stock ends of Godard's MASCULINE FEMININE. LES MAUVAISES FREQUENTATIONS is a phrase from a Rimbaud poem which refers to guilt by association, which is a bit of a stretch, but could refer to dirty dishes thinking that they are all alone. Also, it's a hopeful thought, for if Jacques Rivette's first film is finally part of the Criterion Collection, can Jean Eustache be far behind? However, when I downloaded the image of the plates from the Criterion newsletter, it was titled "lonely Plates" so it's probably IN A LONELY PLACE.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Bogart, the Wenders box (big fan of ALICE IN THE CITIES), THE PLAYER, and the outstanding THE NAKED ISLAND...quite a good month.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
M*A*S*H is the correct spelling; as used on the original 1970 film poster.

Is Tom St Jones saying that "The Sting" in its current BD isn't up to snuff?

RAH long ago gave it an "Extremely Highly Recommended" rating.

Is this a case where more improvements are now possible since its last incarnation?

As it is, I thought it looked damned good.

My BD Wish-List: "Ryan's Daughter" (or anything else from David Lean)

"The Thief of Bagdad" (or anything else from The Archers)

"Romeo & Juliet" (Franco Zeffirelli)

"Around the World in 80 Days" (Yes, I know, it still needs restoration)

"The Nun's Story"

"It's a Wonderful Life"

"Gigot" (Jackie Gleason directed by Gene Kelly)

"The Hospital" (George C. Scott & Paddy Chayefsky...for those who forgot)

"Midnight Cowboy" (might as well, since they've got "Tootsie" and "The Graduate")

"Hud" (Oscar winner for James Wong Howe's cinematography)

"King Solomon's Mines"

"Sweet Charity" (can't beat that scoring by Ralph Burns)

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" (Hell, it's a Julie Andrews & Andre Previn collaboration; so give in)

"1900" (Martini extra dry; and please, no OLIVE)

"Sons of the Desert" - "Way Out West" - "The Music Box" (Oscar Winner - Best Short Subject)
I wholeheartedly agree regarding the three Laurel & Hardy Titles, especially SONS OF THE DESERT, which doesn't even have a decent U.S. DVD release--The version that's on LAUREL AND HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION (An otherwise marvelous set!) is, in my opinion, a real muddy mess!

CHEERS! :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Curious, Is that what Criterion said, or are you just guessing?
Nobody knows the exact reason for the upgrade slowdown. If I was a betting man, it's probably a combination of factors:

- We're in the midst of another remastering cycle. Many 2k masters from the last 5-7 years are now being done again at 4k. This may have delayed some titles they were looking to upgrade.

- Criterion has more deals with major studios than they've ever had. Fox, MGM, Universal, Sony, and Warner all have titles they've sublicensed to Criterion, so they've been increasingly releasing these titles, likely because they have shorter time frames to do so.

- They seem to still be adjusting to the failure of the dual format releases. Not only have stapled or bound booklets mostly disappeared, but they may want to hold off on upgrading titles that have unsold stock of current editions.

I really don't think the 2nd possibility above can be overstated. They seem to be wanting to catch up on titles that have been a long time coming. The Road Trilogy has been known to be getting prepped for release for 4-5 years now, I believe. Better to get the studio titles, the Chaplins, the Lloyds, etc. out before there's just too much congestion of "planned for" titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks