What's new

Crime Story Season Two Announced! (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
And now an exact release date via TVshowsonDVD.com: August 23. That's earlier than Fall 2005. Great!

Like the Cannell Production DVDs, the SRP has been lowered $20 to a very affordable $40. It's still three discs like Season 1. (corrected as mentioned below) The dreaded "music replacement" issue will be questioned on this one too... Just don't replace the theme song! "A run-run-run-run-a-runaway!"

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3022
-

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Music replacement is a valid concern. In addition, I'm hoping Anchor Bay has the sense to include English subtitles or closed captioning on the second season discs. I don't mind waiting if they do it right.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Since it was a long wait between seasons, I would hope Anchor Bay got all original items for the show. The $20 difference in retail price concerns me.

In the Wired article where they interviewed Moonlighting creator Glen Gordon Caron, he said Anchor Bay asked him if he would release episodes that didn't have original music and he said no way. So in this sense, I'm wary about Anchor Bay. Does Michael Mann have any say in this set? Does he care?
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It was an honest mistake. Crossed out the offending line above.

So if it is now three discs instead of 5, that could very well be the reason for the reduction in price. Now it could be double-sided discs with no disc art.
-

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I can't say for certain what the U.S. release is going to look like, but Season Two was released in the U.K. last week.

Amazon U.K. has it priced at 22.49 pounds, which works out to $42.50 at today's exchange rate. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it has 22 episodes on five discs. There is cover art on the discs, each one featuring a photograph of one of the characters. The only extra listed on the box is optional Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. When I play it I'll check to see if there are any subtitles or other extras.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Also they are now saying four discs, previously they said three. The U.K. release of Season Two is five discs, no extras except optional 5.1 sound which to my ears sounds pretty much like the default 2.0.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Is there any truth to the idea that on the final disc, there's a big printed warning of "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T CALL PAULIE A DUMMY!"

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Anyone notice that Crime Story: Season 2 release date, at dvdtalk.com is August 23, AND there is a release date for Crime Story: Season 1 on September 20?

Huh? WTF?

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I haven't seen this series since it first aired on TV (to tell you the truth, I can't remember much other than liking it very much, Denis Farina, and the Del Shannon song), but does the series end in a cliffhanger with an unresolved storyline and subplots?

8^B

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. Unfortunately the series does end with a cliffhanger (of sorts), although, I'm not really sure if they would have been able to resolve it.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Just got my Season 2 set and I wish Anchor Bay would offer those of us who purchased Season 1 originally the new box by some kind of trade-in or extra payment. There's a $10 rebate if you buy both seasons from Sept. 20 until March 10, 2006. Oh well...

The new box's disc trays are much easier to use; they're plastic book-style (like Enterprise) rather than the fold-out side-by-side trays.

The episode titles are printed on the box and there's a two-fold booklet with facts. There are two under "The Controversies" and one has to do with how Ray Luca possibly survived the atomic blast. Michael Mann's response is great. I haven't watched the discs yet but can't wait.

Update: I skimmed through the first episode and the video quality is a little better than the first season. The night scenes are more watchable especially. The credits are bright red and they are fuzzy as if they were typed onto this edition. I know the credits style changed but they look out of place on this edition.

The credits changed back to the standard Michael Mann white but they are still way to fuzzy (pixelated). However, the episodes look good but I cannot tell if any music was replaced. Can anyone tell me if there was a new version (female sung) of "Runaway" sung during "Blast From the Past" when Torello was having a moment (and saying goodbye) to Julie?

No chapter stops! Yikes!

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks