What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (3 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FoxyMulder said:
Don't forget House Of Wax when it arrives, that one should be amazing.
Ha, yeah, I'm thinking of that guy with the bats & balls on the opening night of the wax museum, that should make a few people duck!

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Strike everything I just said. I misunderstood what you guys were talking about. But the film DOES look great in 3D, eye strain or no eye strain.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
jquirk said:
Wow ... I can't believe what I'm reading here. I've not noticed any of these alignment issues that you're talking about here. As far as I can tell, the movie looks awesome on my 106-screen via my Epson 3D 1080p projector.
jquirk said:
The WHOLE THING, as far as I'm concerned, is wonderful. I've watched it twice already and the whole thing to me presented no alignment issues. It all seems crystal clear.
Now I'm really confused.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
jquirk said:
Strike everything I just said. I misunderstood what you guys were talking about. But the film DOES look great in 3D, eye strain or no eye strain.
Who said there was eyestrain?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Watched CREATURE yesterday and found it very nice indeed!!...Verrrry little ghosting...nothing really distracting and several pop-outs for those that need them. Depth was alway there ... and it was just good ol' fast moving fun. i most certainly hope there are more like this coming in the future. The sceneic compostition was not so busy that you could not look around and "feel" the 3D. More, please. :D

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
I received some correspondence from folks who said the misalignment examples I posted didn't look all that bad. I'm thinking that may be because I posted scaled-down images. So I'm going to post one last example at a higher resolution (click to view) and then I'll get off my soapbox. This one gives me a headache.
Red lens over left eye for this and the others.
Same disclaimer as before: these images are rough anaglyph conversions of the BD. They are not intended to in any way represent the overall image quality of the BD. They are intended solely to illustrate the vertical stereoscopic misalignment issues present on the BD and no other implications regarding the disc's quality should be inferred or construed.
Original:
Corrected:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by JamesNelson /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/240#post_3984851
I received some correspondence from folks who said the misalignment examples I posted didn't look all that bad. I'm thinking that may be because I posted scaled-down images. So I'm going to post one last example at a higher resolution (click to view) and then I'll get off my soapbox. This one gives me a headache.
Red lens over left eye for this and the others.

What happens when you view one of these misaligned scenes, do you get ghosting or something else. ?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You get eyestrain as one eye focuses higher than the other on the image.
Enough of these shots in a film, and you get a headache.
As has been stated, these alignment errors should have been fixed.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
I tried playing the UK 3D version of "Creature" and I get a message that my player and TV aren't enabled for 3D.
I have a Sony VW95 projector and Oppo 93 Blu-Ray player.
Anyone else having problems?
(I'll try updating the firmware on my Oppo to see if that helps.)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I got the UK set yesterday, and just got around to trying the Creature disc today. I am getting a "THIS DISC IS NOT COMPATIBLE FOR PLAYBACK" message.
I have a Panasonic BD-65, and the firmware is up to date. (I've tried several of the other discs, and haven't experienced any problems).
I'm not attempting to watch the 3D version (my TV is a Vizio M550SV), I just would like to see the 2D version.
Any ideas? (and please, no suggestions about getting different equipment - the player is two years old, the TV is one).
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it unique to the UK disc or have people had problems with the US disc? If it is a firmware problem, how often does Panasonic issue Firmware Updates, and is there a way to 'push them' into upgrading.
David

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David Weicker said:
I got the UK set yesterday, and just got around to trying the Creature disc today. I am getting a "THIS DISC IS NOT COMPATIBLE FOR PLAYBACK" message.
I have a Panasonic BD-65, and the firmware is up to date. (I've tried several of the other discs, and haven't experienced any problems).
I'm not attempting to watch the 3D version (my TV is a Vizio M550SV), I just would like to see the 2D version.
Any ideas? (and please, no suggestions about getting different equipment - the player is two years old, the TV is one).
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it unique to the UK disc or have people had problems with the US disc? If it is a firmware problem, how often does Panasonic issue Firmware Updates, and is there a way to 'push them' into upgrading.
David
I manually updated the firmware. I was at 1.60, and on the Panasonic website, it said the current was 1.62. For some reason, the network "Update Now" wasn't recognizing the later version. I downloaded and burnt a CD and updated my player that way. The player is now recognizing the disc and can play some of the content.
However, I am getting similar playback issues as reported in some of the prior posts. I think I may have gotten a defective disc. When I look at it, there appears to be a bubble on the playback surface (kind of like you see on your cellphone screen protector). I looked at the other seven discs in the set, and they appear normal and haven't had issues.
Lucky me. I will contact Amazon UK and see what my options are.
David

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Bob Furmanek said:
It has nothing to do with 3-D. It's the fact that they are protected for 1.37:1 and that's how TV, repertory screenings and home video has released them. Other than theatrical, we lived in a 4x3 world for many years.
So far as repertory, nobody did their homework.
Bob, I ran a repertory cinema in Toronto during the mid 70's to mid 80's and we always showed classic films from the 50's that were shot for wide screen projection matted to their intended ratios. There was another rep cinema in town that was proud of the fact that they only showed films in the "classic" 1.33 ratio. We had a heated discussion about this once and neither one of gave in.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Jon, you are the exception!
I saw many, many widescreen films shown 1.37:1 in both New York and Los Angeles over the past 30 years.
Thank you for doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks