1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

create a $2000 HT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lumen_S, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Lumen_S

Lumen_S New Member

ok, im looking to build a new system, with an absolute max budget of $2000. If you were to build a system from scratch for this ammount, what would you do? Oh, yeah, do NOT include a sub...this is for apartment use.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

$2000 was what i budgeted last year for new speaks.
    at one time or another i was certain i was going to end up with Magneplanars or Rockets, but i settled on an Ascend Acoustics set.
    not only considerably less expensive than everything else i had been looking at, they also honestly sounded the best to my ears (out of EVERYTHING i had listened to in the $2k and under price range).

if i had another $2k to throw around, i'd buy 5 ascend cbm 170s (the next time they go on sale, which used to be quite often) for $750, and either put the rest of the money into the electronics, or the software.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "system"? speakers- I'll second Ascend Acoustics 170's except I'd hold out for the new Ascend 350? center channel

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Well-Known Member

I also have the Ascends...CBM-170's in the front, HTM-200's surround, and a Hsu VTF-3.

According to the Ascend site, you can get five CBM-170's for $748.

5. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Well-Known Member

Thats a good question Chris, it seems to have been a while since Ascend has had a sale. I bought my system while they were discounted with free shipping to boot. Ascends are still a bargain at todays price, but everyone likes a sale! [​IMG]

6. Clark F

Clark F Well-Known Member

I bought a Yamaha RX-V630, Paradigm Esprit 'B' fronts, a Paradigm C170 center and a Paradigm PB-10 sub for about $1400.

Sounds great! [​IMG]

7. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Well-Known Member

I'm doing the following...

Paradigm Studio 60's
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Studio 20's

I already got a quote from the local shop and they would give it to me (tax In) for $2440 CAD ($1662 USD) I will be possibly running Rotel seperates, but I'm still researching the subject. This setup is amazing for music and home theater IMO!