1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy AOL Problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BarryR, Aug 30, 2013.

1. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    For no clear reason I can't reinstall AOL 9.7. I keep being told it's already running. What then is this phantom 9.7? I can't even uninstall a supposed 9.7 because of the same reason--not to make things complicated, but in the control panel AOL 9.7 is listed in name only, with the file itself mysteriously absent. It's like gremlins ran off with it. I get an error message "-1." What is this? It tells me 9.7 reinstallation can't take place if this other program (9.7) is running, which it visibly isn't. What kind of hell have I gotten into?

Pardon what sounds like--and is--an impossibly confusing problem. Only AOL is acting up--everything else in my computer is fine.

Thanks.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Have you tried rebooting, then installing or uninstalling?

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Yes, but I now I have another question--would reinstalling Windows 7 kind of wipe the whole slate clean of this problem? I'm at a standstill otherwise. Windows (I assume) won't let me reinstall AOL because it detects a conflict with another "communications software" (I assume AOL) that isn't otherwise there. Yeah, it sounds weird, so it's like maybe I should just zap the whole thing and start totally over, even though AOL is the only issue. I get Firefox, Explorer just fine, and everything else is good. But this AOL farce is ridiculous. I do get AOL via Firefox, but it's a generic setup minus the 9.7 that I'm used to with favorites etc. I can't even send e-mail with this generic AOL . The only clue I had that trouble was brewing beforehand is that AOL would disconnect without warning, and then say another AOL was active, even if I didn't see any. I'd reboot and get back to normal, but even that stopped yesterday.

Thanks though for your reply.

4. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    FIXED!

Long story short, I went into the System Configurator of my computer and zapped whatever AOL program was listed. Like a plumber cleaning a drain, it now cleared the way again. I was able to reinstall 9.7. Simple as that, in retrospect.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nothing better than resolving a problem like that one...

:thumbsup:

6. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Right; I hope it can help others if they ever find their computer acting this way!