What's new

Covert Affairs - USA (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Interesting stat on the show.

The pilot was directed by Tim Matheson, who acted in the season opener to White Collar, directed and acted in episodes of Burn Notice and Psych. He is also a director on the new series The Good Guys along with Johnathan Frakes. He really likes working for USA Network.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Tim Matheson was also always-entertaining as VP Hoynes on The West Wing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Decent premiere. I agree with the above on the chase, but it's hard to pull that off for TV I assume (Cost) but she was in a Jetta, should have been better then that.. but good combo for them, the other driver was in a BMW she was in a VW..

All that aside, of course the mystery becomes "who is the other spy she met and fell in love with in Sri Lanka, and is that the reason why she was recruited" etc.

As long as it gets us more shots of her in bikini wear, I'm OK with the flashbacks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree also about the car chase, in my last post I was referring to the foot chase she gave which was very good I thought.

TV car chases can be done well, see any random car chase on 24 as to how to pull that off.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

Interesting stat on the show.

The pilot was directed by Tim Matheson, who acted in the season opener to White Collar, directed and acted in episodes of Burn Notice and Psych. He is also a director on the new series The Good Guys along with Johnathan Frakes. He really likes working for USA Network.

Tim Matheson was also in Animal House, and 1941 and was the voice of Jonny Quest in the original 1964 cartoon. Nice to see him moving in to directing.

I thought the pilot was actually quite good. I'm glad they aren't going for some over the top sci-fi thing. The CIA offices look like an ordinary work place, and are bathed in some ridiculous blue light ala CSI.

I quite enjoyed the pilot and will be watching more.

Doug

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Decent enough pilot for me to check out a few more episodes. My money is on Chris Gorham being the one to shoulder the heavy lifting on the show.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun That car chase scene was ridiculous because Annie's car truly is a POS (compared to the other dark car).
The streets of D.C. / Georgetown being rather tight and short don’t really allow for very high speeds, so the relative maneuverability of her VW might provide her with a slight advantage. Also at the very start of the show, they state something to the effect that she had the highest score on the driving test of anyone in the last 20 years. So it may have more to do with the skill of the driver, than the mechanical prowess of the car. Doug

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One disappointing thing was that they didn't even try to make it look like the DC Metro.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by NeilO

One disappointing thing was that they didn't even try to make it look like the DC Metro.

Really? I visited there a few times and I thought they had actually done at least some shooting on location.

Doug

USANetwork

Grip
Real Name
USA
Thanks for the awesome feedback, very glad that you guys will be sticking around for the first season and that you enjoyed the premiere. For those that missed the premiere episode you can watch it online.

Keep those reactions coming!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I just watched this and was pleasantly surprised. I had thought from the previews that there was some 'nikita' aspect to the show, that she was drafted into the CIA for some special reason, having to be thrown into situations every week she isn't prepared for.

When it turned out to be a fairly straight story of a fresh, skilled CIA agent with everything being reasonably normal I was far more interested. It sets the show apart and now has a lot of potential.

I just hope they drop the ex-boyfriend spy crap quickly, how did something so unbelievably cliche get thrown in with the rest of this show? It doesn't fit, and if it's just going to turn into Alias I'll go watch Alias.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I'm not sure I find the blind character's position in the CIA plausible.

May not be plausible, but I'm willing to let plausibility go because I think its a great character. I'm looking forward to seeing where the friendship with Annie goes.

Doug

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The show instantly drew me in with the characters (as often happens with me). I'll be tuning in for the season, no doubt.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed the pilot enough that I'll be checking out coming episodes. Piper Perabo is pretty good as the ingenue, neo-Sydney Bristow. As someone said, she does a very good job with facial expressions already so I expect it to be fun watching her aliases. I never saw Jake 2.0 so I remember Gorham from Odyssey 5, and while his character is a little too glibly well adjusted IMO, he is still likable. It is, however, hitting right on some of the USA formula in Burn Notice & White Collar, i.e. bad/mysterious relationship in lead's past that isn't done yet.

A couple of little details jumped out at me, in a good way:

1) Auggie wearing Grado RS-2s, and listening to Mingus. And Annie being hip to Mingus?! No way, she is already way too cool. *sigh*

2) Stoss in the lobby saying "Your mother warned you not to date foreign men." Mother = James Angleton, CIA legend. Nice little reference, though it did confirm that he was on to her and had to be the true bad guy but that was pretty easy to spot anyway.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by PaulHeroy

I never saw Jake 2.0 so I remember Gorham from Odyssey 5, and while his character is a little too glibly well adjusted IMO, he is still likable.

I suspect this may be explored in more depth at some point in a future episode. He maybe glibly well adjusted, or he maybe good at covering it.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks