What's new

Covert Affairs Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Covert Action's 3rd season started with a bang, and the fallout has Annie re-assigned to another department with a new boss (Sarah Clarke, who was Nina Myers on "24"), and Augie gets an unexpected managerial bump up. Not sure I like the new dynamic so far...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Haven't watched it yet, but this year's titles come from David Bowie. I always have a hard time warming up to this show and need to be impressed quick or I'll drop it.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Should the title be changed to Covert Affairs?
Not too surprised at who bit the dust. That character wasn't given a lot to do. It'll be interesting to see if the DPD stays as part of the show, or if it'll become a casualty of all the changes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
Should the title be changed to Covert Affairs?
Not too surprised at who bit the dust. That character wasn't given a lot to do. It'll be interesting to see if the DPD stays as part of the show, or if it'll become a casualty of all the changes.
And yet he was in the opening credits.
What really was strange after the premiere was the preview of the second episode. Either it was really deceptive, but it looked like events from before the season opener. If so, then that might be why he was still in the opening credits.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Could be. I just figured that he was in the opening credits because he was technically in the episode. I'd expect a different opening credits next week; this one including Annie's new boss (unless that's an omen that she's not around long.....)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Has the show's title changed to Covert Action, or is it still Covert Affairs?

Looking forward to the return of this show, as I quite enjoyed the episodes with scenes shot on location in Europe.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, it wasn't a flashback, but actually in continuity this week. I suspect that the main story might have been originally written before they made the decision of shaking things up this season and then rewritten to fit.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've always wondered whether or not any of Annie's jaunts to exotic locales are actually shot on location, or on a backlot replica with filler establishing shots. Unfortunately most times I don't know anything (or much) about the places she was said to be in.

For once, I can actually say that it certainly looked like they really went to Barcelona -- I'm fairly sure that really was Parc Guell Annie and Auggie were at.

On a separate note, the actor playing Simon Fischer was Jeff on the original UK Coupling, Jeff being a completely screwball character. Which makes the fact that Fischer is some sort of super-spy a real disconnect for me, right now...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming said:
On a separate note, the actor playing Simon Fischer was Jeff on the original UK Coupling, Jeff being a completely screwball character.  Which makes the fact that Fischer is some sort of super-spy a real disconnect for me, right now...
Richard Coyle is definitely playing someone quite aways from Jeff. On the wikipedia page for him:
In 2003 he chose not to return to Coupling for its fourth series, and refused requests to return for a "goodbye episode". In a 2005 interview, Coyle stated this was to avoid typecasting:
"I'm very proud to have been part of Coupling and very grateful for the chance to play Jeff but I was very keen that that character didn’t stick with me forever. It’s the kind of character that does. I’m an actor and I want to be an actor when I’m 60. It’s a lifelong process, why cut it off by boxing yourself into a little pigeon hole early on?" - Richard Coyle, 2005
He's played quite a variety of other characters, including Moist von Lipwig in Terry Pratchett's Going Postal.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming /t/322183/covert-affairs-season-3#post_3951040
I've always wondered whether or not any of Annie's jaunts to exotic locales are actually shot on location, or on a backlot replica with filler establishing shots. Unfortunately most times I don't know anything (or much) about the places she was said to be in.

For once, I can actually say that it certainly looked like they really went to Barcelona -- I'm fairly sure that really was Parc Guell Annie and Auggie were at.

The only ones I know for sure that they shot on location, was in Istanbul last season, and read somewhere that the season opener was actually filmed in Marrakech. It's hard to believe that a cable network has the budget to shoot on location abroad.

It sounds like this season will do the same thing as "Missing" did, shooting on location around the world.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming said:
I've always wondered whether or not any of Annie's jaunts to exotic locales are actually shot on location, or on a backlot replica with filler establishing shots.  Unfortunately most times I don't know anything (or much) about the places she was said to be in.
On a separate note, the actor playing Simon Fischer was Jeff on the original UK Coupling, Jeff being a completely screwball character.  Which makes the fact that Fischer is some sort of super-spy a real disconnect for me, right now...
Don't know how they do it, but locations certainly look great to me, but apparently they fooled me with most of it.. Another poster mentioned "Missing", which had to be location shoots, they were just to good.
The past ten years or so I don't believe anything I see any more. CGI and other technology is so advanced, but sometimes there's a giveaway of some sort. Something doesn't look quite right, the lighting is a bit off, or it's just to perfect. But I give up on what's real any more. Especially if it's just a "normal" film and not a CGI/Tech Fest which are so over the top you know it's phony.
They're a little old, but watch "Contact" or "Castaway" with the special effects commentary, you won't trust anything after that. Those are special effects from 10-15 years ago, can't even imagine how much technology has improved since then.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was that Covert Affairs episode from the second part of the second season shot on location in Venice, Italy?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just started watching the 7/10/12 episode. Never saw a preview, spoiler or read a thing about it.
Yet when Annie and Jake(Jay?) are leaving the diner at the start of the show and the waitress reminds Annie she left her umbrella, instantly thought, uh oh, looks like a bomb and somebody's car will be exploding. And of course that's exactly what happened.
Sad how writers of these shows fall back on such predictable scenarios. Maybe just the editing, timing and camera placement, but there is absolutely no suspense when things are done like this.
Maybe watching a little to much NCIS, CSI New York, Bones, etc. where scenes like this are far to predictable.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Strong season to date.
Annie has really been played this season and with that last scene, she is not out of the woods in more ways than one.
Annie and Simon had good chemistry going but I'm still firmly in the Annie/Auggie boat.

RichM

Agent
Show took a strange turn last night. Not sure how they recover from the last scene and make it believable unless
she still had her vest on

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
She was shot centrally so that will be all the wiggle room the show will need. And her life signs were not checked.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The third season of Covert Affairs premieres on Really (in the UK) next Wednesday (19th September). Looking forward to it's return.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well this week episode was .. different. I'm not sure how I can invision Annie going back to being bad ass field agent now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks