What's new

Covers of Beatles' songs U favour over the original (1 Viewer)

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Elliot Smith's cover of "Because" has stuck with me ever since seeing American Beauty in the theater. I'm fond of that one.

Justin

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You Won't See Me--Anne Murray :laugh: j/k

Cocker--A Little Help...
Fiona Apple--Across the Universe
Elton--Lucy in the Sky...
Sarah MacLaclan--Blackbird

all good, though not better

Jeff Healey--While My Guitar Gently Weeps
my opinion, of course, but I think it's better (and I know how sacriligeous that is).

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Far better then I thought.. normally don't care for mashups much, but they did an interesting job here.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm going along with the "none" crowd, but-

Joe Cocker-She Came in Through the Bathroom Window has grown on me over the years, and

Chantal Kreviazuk-In my Life, I like as well.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
About a month ago on the radio, I heard Styx do a live version of I Am The Walrus that blew me away, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Rob

Kevin G.

Second Unit
How Has everyone missed Aerosmith's version of "I'm Down", 88's Permanent Vacation.
The Toxic Twins kick ass on this one!!!!!!!!!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Kevin, I'd forgotten about that one. It's been a long time since I've listened to it. I tried to pull it out right now, but it was amiss. ...can't find it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Nobody's exactly called me out on the Eddie Hazel or Marvin Gaye picks I made. How many folks have heard Eddie Hazel's, I Want You ( 200 kg senorita )? It's on GAME, DAMES, AND GUITAR THANGS. BTW, find a copy before the limited edition CD goes OOP. He's a vastly under-heard guitarist. He's good, sample him on Funkadelic's MAGGOT BRAIN album also. He's a head turner.

The Marvin Gaye might not be widely heard either...? It first appeared on a Motown Sings The Beatles or sum dutch tittle reassembling zat... It's also on a CD boxset I've seen. It sure sounds sweet on vinyl.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm not sure I like it 'more' but I really enjoy the Mutato Muzika Orchestra's take on "Hey Jude" that is used in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, with The Beatles, it's the band itself that did knock-out covers that one could prefer over the originals ("Twist and Shout," "Mr. Postman," "Devil in Her Heart," etc., etc.). But when others cover The Beatles, it's so also-ran. So, count me among those who prefer The Beatles to, well, anything.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jack, I bet those Insects knew every Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry tune ever written, and amongst other 50's icons too. I'm suprised they didn't record a few more covers than they did.

I've only named 3 covers I think are better out of, well, beaucoups. Some of the ones thrown out I have not heard but the majority I have. Joe Cocker has some suppourt and he was immensely popular in his time. I'm not a big fan but I like him. He obviously made a couple of Insect songs more popular than did the bugs, themselves, IMO.

The Beatles may be the greatest but undefeated, I don't think so. They're a powerful additive for other great musicans, IMO. Sort'a like STP gas treatment...;) :)

RickGr

Second Unit
The Raspberries doing No Reply and Ticket To Ride are just plain fantastic but I do like the originals a tad more.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Raise your hand if you're familiar with Mark Heard (RIP). His bluegrass-esque take on "I'm Looking Through You" is my favorite Beatles cover ever. It's not better than the original, but it is truly special.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Jack, you beat me to it! It's amazing, but the Beatles' covers are so damn good. How about their great recordings of: MONEY, LONG TALL SALLY, ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN and ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC?

I don't think anyone can do the Beatles songs as well as the Beatles. But some of them haven't been bad, with Aerosmith's COME TOGETHER as one of the better ones, IMO.

Ever hear Joan Jett and The Runaways do EIGHT DAYS A WEEK?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The most unusual Insect cover, IMO, is Booker T. & the M.G.'s album McLemore Avenue. They perform the entire Abbey Road album in a different order with just some limited vocals...actually 3 medlies of songs, andBecause as the album's only stand-alone track. Better, no, but vary antertainin'...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

I love that one as well. What album is on -- I've been looking for it, but the iTunes store doesn't have it and I didn't see on her CDs at Tower.

Another favorite is Peggy Lee's version of Something, which is from her Is That All There Is? album, which I finally, after 20 years of searching found on CD Sunday at Tower -- it had an "Import" sticker on it, and tons of additional (and highly superfluous) material that was not on the vinyl.

Of course, I too am of the school that the originals were better.

Ted

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ted, I have a single (CD) of Fiona Apple's Across The Universe...I think it's a U.K. import...? Isn't it on the Pleasanville Soundtrack, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks