What's new

Could SACD Sound That Bad ?!? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
All the Patrica Barber albums on MoFi SACDs are good. They are hybrids and the CD layer sounds pretty good too. Mastering and mixing music can make something sound better or worse vs. what format it is on. I am not a huge fan of most of the multi-channel mixes either. John, if you like that genre of music and want to hear a good multi-channel mix try Greta Matassa "Live at Tulas."

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting topic.

So, say I want a player that will do very good redbook CD and DVD-A but would like SACD support because of the titles available in SACD.

Am I better off getting a player without SACD support? I'm thinking of something in the NAD T533 or Cambridge Audio 540D class. Or would say a Yamaha S-1500 universal player in the same price range be just as good at CD and DVD-A (based on previous model quality) but give me the added benefit of SACD?

I really don't want to get two separate players. How would that work anyway on a receiver with a single set of 5.1 inputs?

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For universal players, Denon is the way to go right now. Top marks for video, and good all around audio (getting better as you climb up the food chain).

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I don't know, a well recorded SACD sounds pretty exceptional to me. I'm only human so I can't hear those high ultra frequency problems that are being talked about. Someone mentioned the dynamic range of SACD. Believe me there is more dynamic range than almost any home system is capable of reproducing.

I don't think that there are many if any Universal machines that offer top quality SACD reproduction but I don't think a decent one should sound that bad on SACD.

I suggest trying some SACDs noted for their sound quality before deciding if they are worth while on your system.

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
John, thanks for the suggestion, however the Denon 2910, is out of my price range. Too bad they don't have any models in between the 1910 and 2910.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's not possible to find an Universal player that does SACD well and costs less than $1000.
I have chosen the Marantz DV6400 because of its excellent DVD-A playback capabilities. Since there are only a couple of titles that caught my interest on SACD, I considered this player's SACD compatiblity as a bonus. The DVD-A titles list contains much more albums that I like, so this is the mainstream multichannel format for me.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Howard, it depends on your budget and what titles you like on what format. Another thing one can do is get a universal player and a good outboard DAC, either new or used. Use the digital output of the universal player into the DAC and the analog output of your DAC into your preamp or receiver for listening to CDs, DADs or the hi-rez stereo mixes that are included on the DVD-V portion of some of the DVD-As. My secondary system in the basement has only one set of multi-channel inputs and I already have a nice Samsung HD1000 DVD-A/DVD-V player so I am just going to get an SACD player and just connect one of them in multi-channel for now. I prefer stereo most of the time and have my main system upstairs and also my bedroom system which is decent so it is not a big issue for me.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I've just bought the 'Dark Side of the Moon' SACD, it does sound much better than 'Tubular Bells' indeed!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you like classical, many of the Telarc SACD's are actually direct DSD to DSD transfers without conversion to PCM. The Soundstream catalog of Telarc's SACD's are from older analog and 16 bit PCM masters, but were released for their performances rather than ultimate audio quality.

Very good quality on most, but it all depends on the engineer, the equipment used, the miking, and the hall that it was recorded in.

Another spectacular 2 channel SACD is Live Music From Red Rose Studio by Mark Levinson of audiophile pre-amp and amp fame. There is no way you could say this pure DSD recording sounds fake! :)

Alisson Kraus' "Live" album is also a true DSD recording and has received high marks for sound quality.

I have both DVD-Audio and SACD in my system and the better recordings or re-mastering efforts sound great in either format.

For a very good Beethoven Symphonies cycle, try Claudio Abaddo and the Berlin Philharmonic's DVD-Audio discs from Deutsches Grammaphone (sp?). 24/96 PCM recording masters transferred directly to 24/96 PCM/MLP on these discs.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Amatala, indeed aqquire a DSD recorded disc!!! Of course, they too vary in quality but they're consistently very excellent.

Unfortuneatly, very few rock/pop SA-CD's have recieved the all DSD treatment. I'd say the best sounding Sony rock/pop disc is Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART. Although, as the title implies, the former Jefferson Airplane guitarist has veered in a kuntry-ish and folk direction. Actually he did so a long. long time ago with Hot Tuna... I think the album is DSD recorded. Anyway, it well shows the format's potential.

Look at the titles on Telarc's sublabel Heads Up Surround. They release the jazz that edges towards R & B there. Phillip Bailey, Spyra Gyro, Pieces Of A Dream... D.M.P.'s Blues Band by the Valvino Brothers is DSD recorded and sounds it!

I have heard many of the average or less players, and own one. My worst player sounds quite good with the better discs and kind of ho-hum with the lesser discs. PCM and analog tape derived SA-CD's can be terrific but they're all over the road, so to speak. Get yourself a reference quality disc.

P.S. - If you liked Pink Floyd, get the Flaming Lips DVD-A. :)

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there were only 2 SACD titles of real interest for me and now I have them both. The DVD-A list is much more extensive. But considering the positive experience with 'Dark Side', if anything new interesting pops up on SACD, I will get it.
And I'am also happy with my Marantz DV6400 SACD performance. Even if it doesn't really shine (the same way it does with DVD-A), it is still quite good with well-recorded SACDs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think some of the SA players put out by other manufacturers are not able to implement the Sony chips as well as Sony's players do, for obvious reasons 1) they aren't Sony and 2) Sony isn't going to give away all the secrets. To me, even an average player with either hires format, with a well recorded disc still sounds better than the vast majority of redbook. I like both formats, so I won't complain, except about poor sounding discs.

I bought the Alison Krauss SACD based on it coming up so often as well recorded, which it is, but I am not a fan of the music. :crazy:

My favorite DVD-A so far is Linkin Park Reanimation. Excellent mastering, awsome use of multichannel.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I would recommend the Roxy Music SACD, David Bowie'e scary monster, and the Rolling STones remasters. The Godsmack disc is very good, it can be found quite cheap at least around here. A little dissapointed in the Police and Peter Gabrial disks, maybe I've heard them way too much..., the Sting disks aren't bad perhaps surprisingly; lot's of good classical and jazz recordings out there, again if thats your cup of tea. My dad bought a cheaper Sony DVD/SACD player and it sounds good. Hope our recommendations help.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are l a lot of good discs out there. Here of a few more I like of different genres not noted above:

David Elias - "The Window" you can go to davidelias.com for clips - I would catagorize it has kind of folk. Pure DSD recording and excellent in multi--channel.

Ryan Adams - "Rock N Roll" one of the 50 best albums of 2003 per Rolling Stone. I would call it rock and I like the multi-channel.

Suitcase Pimps - "Love is Grand" - 2-channel only SACD. Would call it alternative rock at times a bit like the Kinks.

Most of what I heard on MoFi or Rounder is pretty good too.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Try the newly releases Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions MC SACD, it is the best sounding SACD I have out of 24. Also you will never hear SACD the way it should with out a Outlaw ICBM to do the bass management, I have the CX777ES SACD changer and it does excellent bass management (PCM) but when I added the ICBM everything changed. I started buying every SACD I could get my hands on. However as many have said here and as I have been saying for years, it truly is in the recording master and mix, some SACD's are terrible, others are astounding, especially the MC tracks, to me the MC tracks have much less harsh high frequency fatigue.

Bad SACD’s (IMO)

Tubular Bells
Roger Waters Live at Berlin
Roger Waters Live in the Flesh
Peter Gabriel UP
Weather Report Heavy Weather

Good SACD’s (IMO)

Both Billy Joel SACD’s
Yellow Jackets Times Squared
Sheryl Crow Globe Sessions (fantastic)
Elton John Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
Roxy Music Avalon
Jaco Pastorius Big Band
Pink Floyd DSOTM
Steely Dan Gaucho

Mike Keith

Second Unit
The wheather report (Heavy Weather) is just a poor recording and master, very uninvolving and flat.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I aggree with you about the Weather Report Mike. The vinyl sounds marginally better. Sadly, several of their albums aren't particularly well recorded. I have several on vinyl.

...on the Outlaw bass manager, some of us don't need no stinkin' bass management!;) :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Amatala, it's hard to believe tha with about 2000 SA-CD's released that you can only find 2 that are to your likings!

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,

I am probably not familiar with the full SACD list, so there might be other interesting things on the list. I am mainly interested in Symphonic/Progressive Rock albums of the seventies (most importantly Yes, King Crimson, EL&P, Jethro Tull). If you happen to see things like this on the list, I would like to know about them.
The fact is that I only buy on hi-res discs albums that I consider to be excellent and I like a lot. All albums that I only listen to ocasionally can stay on CDs. I don't think you can fully enjoy the hi-res discs quality unless you love the music on these discs.
I also never buy a hi-res disc unless it contains a multichannel mix. I don't care about Stereo, I never use it at all. I always listen to my CDs through Logic 7 or DTS Neo:6 processing. As you cn see, I am not a Stereo purist, I love multichannel sound.

These are the titles I currently own on hi-res discs:

DVD-Audio:

Yes - Fragile
Yes - Magnification
EL&P - Brain Salad Surgery
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003
Eagles - Hotel California
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Neil Young - Harvest
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Doors - L.A. Woman

SACD: