What's new

Could anyone confirm if Alan Alda or Jimmy Smitts are listed in TWW's opening credits (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
A divorced running mate with a history of alchohol and drug problems and a weak ticker? One good thing, there's almost nothing that can come out about Leo that could be considered damaging at this point.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I really enjoyed last nights episode as well.

Santos will win, he has to. For many reasons already stated but the main reason is the show has not truely invested in him like it has with Smits.

I strongly believe that C.J. leaked the story. Of everyone on the show she was the most emotional regarding the astronuaghts and pushed the hardest for the alternate shuttle to be used in a rescue.

C.J. will be in prison by the end of the next season if not the end of the season opener.

Just my opinion.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
There's time to develop. It's not like, with Alan Alda, Patricia Richardson and Stephen Root, the Republican campaign is composed of Star Trek redshirts.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I remember when he joined the staff and Sam annointed him "one of us". I think he's fallen from that level.

BTW, I don't get the step-sister thing. What am I missing?

I'd like to see Sam rejoin the WW.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The actress who played her is best known as Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years, and she grew up to be pretty cute.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I would have to disagree with you there. This season had its ups and downs (90 Miles Away, anyone? Uugh). IMHO, this was just as good as season 3 and 4, way better than 5, but nowhere near 1 and 2.

The Santos-McGarry tickets caught me totally off guard. I didn't see it coming at all.

I too think the leak came from either C.J. or Toby.

Janel Moloney needs to wear more shirts like that purple one in this episode. She was looking mmm, mmm, good! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As for who is coming back and who isn't, consider that in the article that announced the show's renewal for a 7th season, it mentioned that the show's budget was being cut from $6 million an episode to $3 million. That's a lot of long-time, expensive stars that they have to be losing. John Spencer even commented in the article (which I believe was on CNN.com) that he couldn't imagine how'd they save that much money each episode.

I doubt we will see Sam back, and I think Will is gone; certainly Hoynes and Russell are done too.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Just from a creative standpoint, I think it would be interesting to have a GOP administration. I remember John Spencer saying years ago that they wrote and acted the characters the way they did because Bartlett and his staff were Dems. With a change of party, the writers would have to change the direction of the writing; could the writers, who arguably (in Hollywood) are probably Dems, change the ideological course of their proponents' arguments show and have their new characters appear sympathetic to the viewer? I would think that a great writer would relish the opportunity to have the show reverse ideological course, with a new cast, and try to have the same viewers form the same or similar attachments to the new GOP adminisitration.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Johnny, on your spoiler - Josh was giving his candidate the same advice that Will was. The two of them (Josh & Will) were really no different as regards political machinations, but Josh worked for a better man, who continually thwarted his baser instincts.

I can certainly see Will coming back. That short, quiet scene near the end with Josh, Donna & Will sitting together watching the convention on TV was, I believe, meant to signal that these three held no personal anomosity towards each other. Plus, Joshua Malina is probably comparatively cheap in this cast, which surely bodes well for him continuing in the upcoming budget-crunched season.

But yeah, bring back Elsie Snuffins. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Call this just my personal impression, but I've often felt that when Josh is giving advice to follow the low road, he's hoping his guy won't, and is happy when he takes the high road. Donna advised Will not to do it, but he ignored her.

Will, on the other hand, really wants to go on whatever road works. I guess my opinion of the character has been on a steady road down since he hitched himself to Bingo Bob.

I also have to question his judgement. Just about everyone who knows the VP knows he's not competent for the job. Not Will.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I can't see that being very satisfying, mainly because it means replacing just about the entire cast. How many of us would have tuned into a new season of NYPD Blue if, all of a sudden one year, the show was focusing on the 8th Precient instead of the 15th? How many people would have stayed with Alias if a new season began with a new cast? I realize that some shows end up with different casts (NYPD Blue is a good example, so is ER), but they do so gradually.

I'm counting on a Santos administration, because I like what Smits brings to the show, and because it will give me the best chance to keep seeing many of the characters that have populated the show over the years.

Which doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to some great stuff with Alan Alda. The few times they focused on him this season were great. I especially liked the part about two weeks ago when he was being given a hard time from the most conservative parts of his party. That storyline is rich with possibilities and if the writers explore that they will both be handing a contemporary topic and showing how hard it is to establish party unity.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that this season was very satisfying, which is a huge relief after the very lackluster 5th season. I had almost given up on this show, with is Hanz Zimmeer score and Bruckheimer-like stories, but it's really returned to form since Leo's heart attack (the beginning of this seasons was just more of the same from season 5 as far as I'm concerned).

Count me among those who think Smits is a lock. Politically, I'm a conservative, and I really enjoy Alan Alda's character. I just can't see the producers of the show compeltely turning over the entire cast, though, which would be necessary if they switched parties.

Great stuff, and I can't wait for next season.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes

That's kinda the beauty of a Vinick Administration. It gives the producers and writers the opportunity to reinvent the show, within a believable story line. How many shows have that opportunity? How many shows in their seventh year have grown stale but, short of a stunt marriage or baby, have been able to find a new direction?

I agree, Smits probably has the job, but wouldn't it would be daring to take the path untravelled?

Anthony S.

Agent

I think sometime late last season, Will and Josh had a heated argument about Josh's wavering on Russell's invitation, through Will, to join his campaign. It culminated in a Rose Garden discussion in which Josh asked Will why this guy. Will gave a rather weak answer in saying it was because Russell can win the nomination. At that point, I believed that Will understood what everyone else did about Russell, but was in it just because he thought Russell was the "most likely" to win.

As a result, Will has become a truly "bottom line" type of guy, seemingly devoid of some of the high ideas he came to the White House with. Classic example of the debilitating effects a high pressure campaign can have on some people.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that it's an interesting possibility, and I think there was discussion about the possibility in past West Wing threads around here.

It seems too unlikely, though. It would definitely take guts for the network to do, and I'd love to see if they could pull it off. One way would be to have Vinnick make the unprecedented move of hiring some of the old staffers. I think that would be weak, though, and I'd be disappointed if they tried. Another way would be for them to show more of what goes on with the other side of the aisle, having Josh, Toby, Leo and the gang filling the Hafley-esque roles. They'd obviously be more a part of the show. The problem there is that then the focus of the show becomes the whole town, not the West Wing.

I'm kind of rambling now, I guess. I think having Vinnick win is an interesting idea, but unrealistic for the show, is all.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
OTOH, If they continue with the "these guys can't beat Vinnick" line, only to have Santos, on the eve of the election, plunge his hands in his pockets and stirringly pledge Universal Health Care to thunderous acclaim, rousing music, and a subsequent landslide, they'll have stooped into rampant fantasy.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

They haven't stooped so far, and I have faith they can make it believable. They came close with the Hoynes scandal, though. "let's see how far behind we can put Santos and then magically pull him back." They did it again with Baker at the convention, but at least this time they used it as a lever to display more of Santos' personality.

I hope they don't stoop to cheap tricks for the rest of the campaign, but it's possible.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes

I think that on a reduced scale, they have. On the third or fourth day of the convention, Santos was being advised by all of TPTB that he needed to make nice to Russell and he would be awarded the VEEP slot as a reward. Instead, he goes out and makes one magic speach that turns the convention on its ear and rushes him to universal acclaim as The Nation's Next Great Democrat. Hard to believe in our fractious political times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks