What's new

Cordless Phone Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
What do folks recommend for cordless phones? I have a couple of Uniden's that are 2-3 years old and are in need of replacement. Any other reliable brands?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
This thread came at the right time! I have been meaning to write up my experience...

Don't buy a Panasonic. Ten years ago they were great, some of my friends had some so when my parents asked me some advice because they wanted one I suggested a Panasonic. They bought it and it worked beauty.

Fast forward to last year. Time for me to buy a cordless. I walk into the local A&B sound and buy the most expensive Panasonic they have (almost $300.00 Cdn). Within a month its in the shop getting repaired, the problem being people I was talking with couldn't hear me and I could hardly hear them. Ok, no biggie, things happen. But I start asking around and 2 of my close friends have almost the identical model to me and they are plagued with problems too. So then I do a little research on the net (googled Panasonic cordless) and now I see that many have problems. Not good.

Two weeks ago it died. No dial tone. I called up Panasonic customer care and they said to ship it to them because there are known issues. I oblige and can only hope it gets fixed, but I have my doubts if it will ever be even close to 100%.

I bought a lemon. Too bad, they used to be excellent phones. I'm not saying all Panasonic's are garbage, but when 3 of us friends all have models from the last 2-3 years and have issues (brutal static, no dial tone, volume issues) then your best bet is to stay away.

Heres the model I have

Hope this helps.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'd stay away from 2.4Ghz models and only buy 900mhz models. I've got an old 900Mhz panasonic that still works great compared to a newer 2.4Ghz panasonic that gets hit with tons of interference from wireless crap and my microwave (ever walk past a running microwave with a 2.4Ghz phone? static static static).

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I would stick with a 900Mhz phone too. My old Uniden has fallen off the roof on my old house (1+ story), and fell off the top of my truck while I was driving up to the store to pick up some things (forgot it was there)

I was a bit mad when Oregon switched to 10 digit dialing shotly after buying a 900Mhz Sony with callerID. I have to dial the area code before I scroll though my caller id list to call someone back. What a pain, but the phone's rage is excelent. I can use it for about 175-200 yards across the field behind my house.

James St

Supporting Actor
Any word on the new 5.8Ghz phones on market? I'm looking to get one eventually as well.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'm looking myself and read very good reviews of the Panasonic triple talk for $138-$150. I am debating on the 2.4 GHz because in addition to what's been mentioned above they are also prone to interfering with wireless modems. The problem is that right now, most cordless phones seem to be 2.4GHz. 5.8's are just coming out. Currently I'm using a cordless 900MHz Toshiba which has been good to me. Only reason I'm looking is to get a multiple handset model. Based upon what I'm reading above I think I will stay clear of 2.4's.

I'm looking to replace the venerable old set we have with a digital.

I was looking at the 2.4Gig but after all the problems with interference I was going to go for the 900Mhz type.

You can get all the multi-handset kits and everything, plus being 'outdated' theyre alot cheaper.

I guess 'newer' is not always better.

e.g. Minidsic

Any good reccomendations on a 900Mhz phone?
In the past I've been a dedicated Panasonic fan.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have the v-tech 5.8 model.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7&type=product

i really like it. i've taken it down the street with a very clear signal. i don't forsee it ever getting fuzzy on me...but who knows.

feature-wise, it has some nice touches.
  • keypad on base
  • handset can convert to speakerphone
  • three mailboxes
  • several different ring-tones
  • caller id
  • expandable handsets
  • built in phone book

it wasn't too expensive, but it's definitely not the cheapest.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I have always heard that Vtech makes a good cheap cordless phone. My personal Vtech story: I was having kind of a fight on the phone with my g/f @ work - I called her a bitch, told her I wouldn't fight on the phone at work, and hung up (we were both very ornery that day). She is not normally physically violent, but she hates being called that and hates being hung up on. She tossed the phone across the room, it bounced off the floor and still worked. So she threw it down again and jumped up and down on it for about a minute. It still worked. She gave up trying to break it.

It was really hard to hear after that, but worked fine (after some recharging). After that, I would definitely buy another Vtech. (This was one of the 900mhz ones). We used it for 2 more years (just got a new phone as a present last month).

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Well, many thanks for everyone's advice. I went with another set of Uniden phones, 2.4 GHz, having had excellent results with the brand in the past. Excellent call clarity. And the 'rocket dial' feature is neat...

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I know I'm too late, but currently I'm using Panasonic Multitalk 2.4Ghz system with 4 handsets for the past year. No problem at all. Love the system! (relatively cheap too)

The first generation of 2.4Ghz are bad, though. REALLY bad. They are not real 2.4Ghz, just for receiving the ring, when you talk, it's still 900Mhz.

The newer models are pure 2.4Ghz

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The first generation of 2.4Ghz are bad, though. REALLY bad. They are not real 2.4Ghz, just for receiving the ring, when you talk, it's still 900Mhz.
You HAVE to be kidding. Does my model I bought last year, the Panasonic KX-TG2680N, incorporate this misleading feature?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The first generation of 2.4Ghz are bad, though. REALLY bad. They are not real 2.4Ghz, just for receiving the ring, when you talk, it's still 900Mhz
The way I understood it, the downlink (from the base to the phone) was digital 2.4GHz, while the uplink (from the phone to the base) was analog 900MHz. So your caller's voice was digital, but your own voice was analog, and at 900MHz, to boot, which meant that your voice could be picked up with regular radio equipment.

As I recall, people were warned not to order merchandise with their credit cards using these phones because of their lack of security.

But you don't have to worry about the new Panasonics. They are digital, 2.4GHz in both directions, and perform better than that despised first-generation set of 2.4GHz phones they once produced.

I'm partial to the Siemens phones, but I recently bought a Panasonic cordless, expandable (up to eight handsets) system because it was half the price of the Siemens. So far, I'm very happy with it. The feature set is not as extensive as that of the Siemens phone, but the features are easier to use.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i bought a panasonic 2.4ghz model about 2 years ago and it's worked great so far. no problems whatsoever.

model # kx-tg2481b

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, people were warned not to order merchandise with their credit cards using these phones because of their lack of security.
But giving your credit card number to some stranger in some location that you don't know and the entire conversation being recorded to evaluate the employee's performance is more secure?

Don't worry about credit card fraud. Get your cards from good companies and you won't have a problem.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I haven't used nor heard anything about the 5.8Ghz so I can't comment, but I've heard good stories about Uniden in general. Quite unfortunately, none of their product is expandable to (at least) 4 stations.

Siemens are great too, but for the value, I'd rather get Panasonic.

If I even won the lottery, though, I'll get the Siemens. The new ones are at the same size of a mobile phone.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I have a couple VTech 5.8GHz phones and absolutely love them. I got them cause my 2.4GHz was interferring with my wireless network. These 5.8GHZ phones are really good.....I have not had any interference with anything....and their range is about twice as far as my previous 2.4GHz *of course, that could be due to it no longer interferring with my network).

I love the look of the VTech. AT&T also has a 5.8GHz phone but it is really a re-branded VTech phone (The phone looks different but the menu system is EXACTLY the same.

My dad uses that in his home office.

The phone has a lot of great features as well (including a spare battery compartment in the base station which allows the wireless phone to be used in a power outage). Also...there are intercom features from any handheld unit to anyother handheld unit and/or the base station which is also a speaker phone. Oh......the handheld units are also speaker phones.......just put them on the table in front of you and press the speaker phone button, and they work kind of like walkie talkies. Neat to use when you are working with your hands somewhere.....and do not have a headset with you.

That would be my recommendation. Also...the base station supports like 6 handheld units which can all work together on the same line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks