What's new

convert analog audio to digital (1 Viewer)

Brooks

Grip
So i've checked the threads and not seen a discussion. Pardon me if i'm repeating a topic already discussed.

I have a lot of digital music in mp3 format. I have it held on a barebones pc which really just serves as a music repository for my mp3 players. That computer has the PC standard 6 mini jack outputs to drive analog 5.1 speakers.

My HT receiver (Denon AVR-1803) does not have inputs to receive analog 5.1 sound. I suspect I'll get better sound quality out of the PC (I know it will never be great) if I can output the sound in its analog 6 channel format rather than as simply 2 channel through 1 output. I can easily take analog 2 channel and input it into my receiver.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a product that will take analog 5.1 signal and convert it to coax or toslink digital 5.1 signal? That's the only type of input I can use on the receiver to get all channels in.

Any help?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
MP3 music is going to all be stereo sound, not 5.1 surround. The surround is all DSP generated, your receiver can do that if you prefer that over pure stereo. Just turn on the DSP surround effects on your receiver, there should be quite a few modes available.

Analog stereo from your sound card should be fine, if it isn't then get a better sound card, maybe one with a digital out, then you can just drive the receiver with straight PCM output via SPDIF. (Essentially the MP3 gets decoded back to CD-like PCM).

Hank_P

Second Unit
agreed, get a better sound card with digital/toslink output. I have this in my HT PC to reciever, works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks