What's new

Control4 (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any exp with Control4 systems? I am thinking about it. Thank you for your responses

mylan

Screenwriter
There never has been much love around here for whole house audio or home automation. I have never figured it out. It depends on what you want your system to do, if you are just wanting several zones of audio you might be better served by Russound, Niles, or Elan, if however, you want to control thermostats, a main home theater, as well as zones, Control4 might be an option.
try this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=36

Control4 is awesome. For around 7 grand my whole house is attached to 1 remote. I have most of my lights controlled by my remote, my garage door, my security system with cameras, my theater room and 3 other rooms for audio and my thermostats are also controlled. I have a sweet touchscreen remote that I keep on my person at all times. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer them. I do not work for control4 I just love it. Compared to other systems that offer the same things there is nothing even close.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps the above poster is the exception or perhaps it is the local control4 installer but ALL the control4 systems I have encountered have been very unreliable. At CES I watched a demo at the Control4 booth and personally witnessed several failed button pushes (the demonstrater had to push the button several times to get a command to register). I am not sure how big of a fan I am of the zigbee wireless infrastructer either.

Price isn't bad for a glorified universal remote. Honestly if you are going to head in the direction of automation and especially if you are retrofitting use lutron radio ra for your lights, russound for your distributed audio, then get a lifeware enabled media server to control everything else . . .

Phil2B

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
I am a Control4 installer and have had no issues like you describe. If you are encountering problems check your network settings. Every existing control4 job that was installed by another dealer that I have fixed, the network was the problem. If anyone is considering Control4 interview your installer and be sure your confident in his or her ability to setup a solid network. Most of my clients have realized the value of have my company maintain their network and our ability to make changes to their systems remotely.

Phil2B

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
also I am glad you have good results with lifeware; however, automating my home with a windows platform scares the s@!!t out of me.

Phil2B

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
Control4 is awesome just remember IP based control is only as good as your network so don't try to run this system or any other like crestron or AMX with an 89.00 dollar router. Use higher end cisco or even apple airport extreme!!!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Good advice on the network infrastructure. When it comes to Home Automation, the system is only as good as the installer/programmer, so pick a good one. Make them take you to a house that they have done and ask the homeowner to show it to you. Don't let the dealer run it through its paces. You want to see how comfortable the homeowner is running the system. If they aren't or don't know how to do things find a different installer.

dverity

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
I too am an installer and big fan of the Control4 platform. I would agree with the other posts that you need to make sure you have good communication with the product, it will work through any decent router that you probably already have. I have found more issue in programming and installers who have had trouble installing the systems.

These are great products that start at a very reasonable price point. You can get into a Control4 head unit for about the same as any good RF Learning Remote, but with unlimited control and expandability.

Control4Srbija

Auditioning
Real Name
www.pametnekuce.net
Also a Control4 installer.
If You are thinking in a Home Theater controller,CRESTRON is the best solution,AMX is very good,and Control4 is OK.
Price is also the best (top),very good (high),OK (OK).
My suggestion is to bypass X10 or BUS (KNX) protocol if You are multimedia person.

bhatler1974

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Hatler
Hello, I am new to this forum, I am also new to control4. My question to you is my dealer is fairly new and is not sure which system will work best through the system. IE a RAID, or NAS to download my DVD and Blu-ray's to and access them through the c4. Any help would be awesome. Thank you

FL Bush

Auditioning
Real Name
FL Bush
I am just considering Control 4 for my new home but am at the go/on go decision point. Looks at a good platform to grow on from basic system in the $7,000 range. Have you enhanced your basic system and, if so, how easy is it? Tks Rick

donald.quix

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald
Phil2B said:
I am a Control4 installer and have had no issues like you describe. If you are encountering problems check your network settings. Every existing control4 job that was installed by another dealer that I have fixed, the network was the problem. If anyone is considering Control4 interview your installer and be sure your confident in his or her ability to setup a solid network. Most of my clients have realized the value of have my company maintain their network and our ability to make changes to their systems remotely.
Yeah I have heard of lots of problems like this before actually as well. You just need to make sure your installer initially knows what they are doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks