What's new

Contrast ratio vs. pixel resolution? (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Which of these specs is more important? Is the resolution only important if you plan to hook your computer up to the display? I will be using it 90% for DVD playback, no cable/sat or Tivo use.

This Samsung Plasma (SP-R4212) boasts an amazing 10,000:1 CR but a relatively low 852x480 PR.

http://samsclub.com/eclub/main_shop...fcfkjdgoodfli.0

Compared to this Phillips LCD (32PT9100D) with a lower 500:1 CR and a higher 1366x768 PR.

http://samsclub.com/eclub/main_shop...fcfkjdgoodfli.0

I'm more of an audio person, but lately have been getting itchy to upgrade my crusty old Panasonic 20" curved CRT which doesn't even have component video connections! So I am in need of a crash course in displays. Looking at displays in stores, I find the plasmas to have the best picture quality by a long shot and best bang for the buck when considering the 42" plasma EDTVs by Panasonic and others. Am I missing anything?

thanks for your help.

* edited to add model numbers since the links don't work.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yup, your missing alot ! :)

Contrast ratio is way more important.

With that being said, 10000:1 is pure bull s@@t.

If you are on a tight budget consider the ED Panasonics.

Regards

Gregg

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The plasma has a much better contrast ratio than the LCD, although 10000:1 is exaggerating.

With most LCD's you won't want to view in a really dark room because then the non-deepness of blacks will be obvious.

The 852x480 plasma is perfectly suitable for DVD and also ordinary broadcasts and even digital standard definition cable.

Note that the plasma you mention, as well as the ED Panasonics, are not high definition. In addition, if you hook up your computer you will not get clear reproduction of SVGA (800x600) or XGA (1024x768) although it will work perfectly well with regular VGA which I feel very cramped in.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

If I am correct, with regular VGA even this forum is too wide to fit so you have to pan and scan(!!; #@^$%&#) (using the scroll bar underneath) to read some of the posts!

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Gregg,

yep the ED Panasonics are exactly what I was looking at, online a 42" one can be had for about $1550 shipped. I like that I'm not paying for speakers or tuner with it because I use my VCR for local stations and have a HT setup for sound. The lower resolution was giving me pause though.

It's too bad Panasonic doesn't make any 32" EDTV plasmas, I wouldn't mind the 10 fewer inches much and would love to save a few extra hundred bucks...

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Allan,

thanks for the link, I'll read through that tonight.

I don't plan on ever hooking my computer up to the TV so the ED format should be fine in that case. I wonder how much lower the prices can drop...maybe I'm imagining things but it seems like EDTVs are harder and harder to find?

Do you think manufacturers might decide to make *only* HDTVs soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks