What's new

Continuing TV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

What "classic" tv programs are doing so well on DVD, that you're pretty sure they'll keep on being released? I know there are quite a few unreleased programs, and some stalled series, but which ones are still selling well enough to make it to Wal-Mart.

I think the following are doing well:

Bionic Woman

Hawaii Five-O

Scarecrow and Mrs. King

Virginian

Wagon Train

Here's Lucy

The Lucy Show

Now, I know current series have a high probability of coming out on digital like Smallville, Big Bang Theory, Fringe, etc. But I find myself wondering what older shows are still doing well.

Well, what shows did I miss? Comments? Suggestions?

James

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Now I know it's Region 2, but Dynasty is doing well on DVD in Europe and the UK. Season 6 was released in January, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed Season 7 will be released before the end of the year.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
For some reason, "American" soaps are more popular in Europe and South America than they are in their home country! I've never been able to explain it--except that perhaps fans in those other countries buy into the rich, decadent, Americans" fantasy more than we do here...

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
American soaps... a dying breed for sure. There was talk this week of cancelling "All My Children". People are not watching like they used to...

And yet "Coronation Street" in Britain is still going strong 50 years in prime time. This show's success is what prompted Monash to adapt "Peyton Place" to American television! "Peyton Place" languishes on the 20th Century Fox shelves, and its predecessor still produces new episodes. Irony at its best!

Did they cancel "All My Children"? I never did hear-

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think it is a different era with less mothers staying a home. Two income is order of day now, so the soap operas in the daytime are losing ratings due to demographic shift. Plus, there are other things on tv, like classic movies, talk shows, etc that also are eating into soaps.

The Soaps, especially nighttime soaps had their time and it has pass. I do not watch much tv other than dvds and that is my choice

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Although the whole series has been completed on DVD (both in the US and UK), it's TV movies (four in total) haven't been released yet....Murder, She Wrote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks