Auditioning
Real Name
Franklin Lambert
Ok..well I need some input please
I contacted my TV maker..and Sony Tech support
They both indicated that my HDMI cable is not working correctly
Manual says I need at least 6.68 GBPS for Blu-ray to work effectively
TV is 1080p...Sony Tech said all I needed was a cable that stated 1.3HDMI
is it that simple? I know not to buy Monster cables...but they have a variety as well as some brands in my area..
can anyone clear up my confusion..
thank you to anyone for there time in this matter

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Just because a cable is labeled "hdmi 1.3a campatible" might not mean it's bandwidth is suffient. Check it's specification to make sure it's compatible. Here is a helpful link to hdmi.org/faq.

It sounds like you want to buy your cables locally, but here is a link to monoprice hdmi cables. If you click on a cable, there is a "specification" button you can click on (their Knowledge Base is also full of info). This gives more information than you can shake a stick at. Compare the specs of different cables to see their differences. As you can see, some say 1.3 compatible but their bandwidth isn't up to snuff. Don't skimp. Get a good one. They're not that expensive. You never know what the future has in store for us
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

As an example, here is a 6ft silver plated 340 mhz 10.2 GBPS cable for $15. 6ft premium hdmi cable.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
When you ask for help you really need to be a ton more specific to get any useful responses.

Which TV brand & model? Which Blu-ray player? Connecting player directly to TV or through an AV receiver? No picture at all? Picture but different resolution than you expect? Have you tried different inputs on the TV?

Any HDMI cable should work (for shorter lengths like < 15 feet) as long as it's not defective, regardless of whether it is certified for 1.3 or not. I don't see how their tech support could definitively say it's the cable & not one of the components. You have to swap out with a different cable & have it work to know that the first one is definitely broken.

Sevb33

Grip
Real Name
Steve Bragg
I just got confused more, I thought they were mostly the same, unless you were running a really long cable.

This is what I ordered and have hooked up
High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK

Got it from monoprice

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks