What's new

Contact coming in October! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nice to see this one coming. It was one of my first DVDs purchased as well back in '98. Can't wait to have this in good quality HD.

_Man_

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope this version is at least as good as the Sky-HD h264 1080p broadcast from last year.

Even if the video isn't as good, the audio should be stellar!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Amazon lists T2 as having been released on October 22, 1997, and Contact on December 30, 1997.

However, I'm almost certain that's the wrong date for Contact--I received it for Christmas that year, and recall it being a big holiday title. Does anyone know the actual release date of the Contact DVD?

As for T2, the "Ultimate Edition" was indeed one of the first dual-sided, dual-layered DVDs, though a two-disc configuration was indeed also available. However, there was an earlier DVD release of the film, which was one of the first dual-layered DVDs. I recall hearing that it was indeed the very first dual-layered DVD, but I've heard the same about Contact--with Amazon's incorrect date, I'm not sure which one was truly the first.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
But wasn't there a bare bones DVD edition of T2 released when DVD started but about a year later is when the Dual Layered Double Sided release came out. But I could be wrong.

I do remember that layer change on CONTACT and how all the online reviews were praising the Contact DVD release.

I wish it were being released sooner, but oh well.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm there on this one as its a blind must buy. Thoughtful & intelligent sci-fi is a rare thing nowadays and the less is more approach is highly effective.

Still have my original replacement R1 DVD which works. Lot's of copies of this movie on DVD had failures attributed to disc rot which appeared as tiny little dots on the DVD surface. First copy I bought rotted & failed around 1998. Back in the day many players had trouble with this because they could not handle the layer change. Nowadays a decent PC or DVD player handles it without any stuttering.

This DVD is still one of the very best as it contains a lot of decent extras all jammed onto 1 disc along with stellar PQ + Audio. I compared the audio against my NTSC LD and the DVD blows it away. Also contains a very entertaining commentary. Guess it took so long to reach BD as they have to negotiate the rights for music played and so many times in the past this has delayed or even scrapped some movies from a home release as the copyright holders wanted too much $$$.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Maybe now I can pick out which beach in Fiji they used in the Space scenes with Ellie (and didn't credit).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The bare-bones release of T2 was the first RSDL dual-layered DVD released in the United States.

Contact was Warner's first RSDL dual-layered DVD.

More trivia: there was a time that Contact was going to be Warner's last double-sided DVD (with the movie spread across both sides). When executive management got wind of this, they put a halt to it. That is the reason this title is RSDL.

(Now where did I archive my review of Contact...)

- Steve

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
a favorite of mine saw it in the theater when it first came out, bought the dvd when it came out, also picked up a clean LD copy for a couple of bucks just for the cover.
This should look awesome on BR!

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
One of my all time favorite films. But, the BD has to be noticeably better than the superb STARZ HD broadcast and must also be priced right to get my coin.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
OH wow, fantastic news. This was one of the first DVD's I bought (along with The Fifth Element). I love this movie dearly and can't wait for the BD! I watched it again recently and couldn't help thinking how much more enjoyable it'd be watching it in HD. And the sound! Especially during The Machine test. Joy!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Isn't that a gorgeous beach? We know a lot was added (stars, etc.), but I'd like to visit there. Let us know if you figure it out.

It'll never look as romantic as it did in the film, especially w/ Jodie there.

Cheers,
Doug

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Some of it was filmed at Yasawa Islands, Fiji, according to IMDb. Hope that helps narrow it down!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Certainly does, and helps that I visited for the first time at Easter (completing my lifelong ambition of doing so after being raised near there).

In fact, I can actually mentally confirm it for now. The clue would be the placement and shape of the coconut tree formations, as there are a few beaches similar in appearance.

Every time I get to visit a new one, I wonder if it was the one used.

I have visited the island on which CASTAWAY was shot (also in Fiji).
What was amazing is the amount of CGI work they did erasing out all the surrounding islands.

In doing the obligatory yelling out of "Wilson!!!!!!!!", we lay on the sand there, on a very ugly beach in fact (at low tide - ALL rocks) - they only shot at high tide; and took wave shots on outer reefs and locations (according to the Blue Lagoon Cruise guide who mentioned working as an assistant on that shoot).

Little would people realise that just to the LEFT of all those shots, IS an AMAZING beach which dropped straight down after 2 metres out, into the BEST snorkling I've experienced in my life.

I just realised why they didn't shoot in that direction - Tom Hank's character is trying to get off the island, and has to battle getting past the reef, lol.

So, will watch CONTACT when it comes out to verify the location.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Trust me...you'd MUCH rather see Jodie on that beach instead of me, unless you're up for a fright!

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks