What's new

constructing colums, filled or not, and cheap source for the sconces. (1 Viewer)

bigfish1

Auditioning
Real Name
paul salmon
For my room i was thinking to make colums and mount wall sconces on them. place posters in between lighted by overhead potlights located in a bulk head above. My question is what is the best way to construct the colums? depth and width? and should they be filled with insulation? would you fill the bulk head with insulation also ? Also anyone have a good source for the sconces? i have noticed they can get pretty expensive.

thanks in advance

Paul.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I've seen people create a basic frame from 2x2's, covering it with 3/4" MDF, and stuffing it with standard insulation. I've always read that MDF was better then plywood because it is more dense. In my case, I house surround speakers in mine so I made them large enough for a variety of bookshelf type speakers. Since you are just mounting sconces you have flexibility in making them less deep. I've seen some around 4" deep for this purpose, which is deep enough to add character to the room. Also, I always read that columns can be useful for breaking up the way the waves bounce in the room (i.e., making the room less square).

I've included some pictures of one of my columns took when I finished my room back in 2003, to give an idea.

bigfish1

Auditioning
Real Name
paul salmon
thanks for the info brad. i was thinking of 2x2 framing, and will follow your advice using the mdf.

thanks again

paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks