What's new

CONSOLIDATED LOTR:FOTR Extended Ed. Problem Thread; Please Post ALL Problem Reports Here! (1 Viewer)

Joe Woj

Agent
Joe-
No, my receiver is a Denon AVR-3300, and it worked fine with my PS2 using the DTS track.
So I guess it must be the Toshiba players. Oh well, at least the DD works OK.
Ya that has to confirm it then :emoji_thumbsup:
Guess I'll just have to watch the first 10 minutes on DD and then switch to DTS :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I had occassional audio drops when watching it, and I figured out it was caused by my player getting too warm because of all the DVDs I had been watching today, because I could never replicate the dropouts in the same spot and once I started running a fan over the top of the player, the drop outs went away.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Got a Panny RP-56 and a B&K AVR-307. The DTS track did seem to crackle very slightly a few times but I was getting occasional pixelization, particularly in the scenes post-Argonath. I had replayed a few scenes before this happened. Reversing and re-watching these scenes didn't duplicate the problem.

I have no problem with the bass on DTS though I run all-around large with no sub. I haven't compared it directly to the DD track. I'll take some measurements with the SPL meter and see if I can find a difference.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Finished watching Disc 2 on my RP91. There is definitely no lack of bass on the DTS track - I'm using the RP91's DACs and going via 5.1 inputs to my receiver. Oh, and no stuttering either. Flipping back and forth on the DD/DTS yielded no immediate difference in bass level although I admit I don't have any measuring devices. Watching all of Disc 2 w/ DTS kept my subwoofer flexing and my apartment shaking! (Don't have any real pro or con feelings about DTS, just watched it in that mode to see if I got the probs you all were having, which I did not)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Watched it tonight on my PS2. Towards the end of chapter 40 "The Fighting Uruk Hai" on disc 2, the camera flies over Isengard, then pans around, and pulls back. Just before the cut to the shot of the Uruk Hai, the disc just refused to play, and I got a message saying "Unable to play disc". Had to restart the disc, skip ahead to chapter 41, then rewind a bit... did the same damn thing in the same damn spot. 3rd time was the charm, I used the menu to get to 41, rewound, and this time it worked fine, so I finished watching the movie. After it ended I tried that spot a few more times. Once or twice it worked, a couple times it skipped a bit and pixelated for a second, and a few times it just locked up, even when rewinding through that part. Grrr!!! Tried it on my Panasonic A120U player I'm letting my parents used, worked fine, no glitches at all, and I tried it a few times. Same on my PC with PowerDVD... no problems... so I'm not going to send the disc back, but it's annoying my PS2 seems to have issues with this disc. I'm just going to take my Panny back I think, and use that from now on.

Brian

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Played both movie discs with the DTS track all the way through and part of the first Appendices disc yesterday. No video or audio problems whatsoever. Toshiba SD4700 player using coax digital out to a Marantz AV9000 processor.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I posted this on the Extended Edition Review thread, but just realized it might be better here:

Earlier I think someone said that they couldn't change audio tracks on the fly during the movie (i.e. switching from commentary to film, etc.)... I however found that I CAN do this. I simply hit the audio button at any point during the movie and it switched to whichever track I wanted. I did not have to go back to the main menu to select commentary, DTS, or whatever. I'm still using an old Toshiba 2107 that I bought in '98.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I also had a problem with the LOTR:EE DVD-ROM features. I also have a Samsung SD-616 on a Dell PC. I'm using Windows ME. Since the other problems were also a Samsung, I suspect there must be something with that player. The DVD brought up Interactual Player, but then just spun in the drive and I had to reboot. My DVD drive was completely hosed for a while and until a few more reboots and uninstalling Interactual did I get it working again. I was then able to play The Matrix, Harry Potter (with a new install of Interactual), and the regular LOTR DVD.

Using the regular LOTR DVD I was able to access the on-line content. There is a new link to the EE online content, but it wants you install Shockwave and have a broadband connection to get everything. It also accesses some things from the 4 discs, but using the regular DVD you can get some idea of what is there. I didn't go any further since I am on dial-up.

By the way, the DTS is 6.1. I only have a 5.1 system, should I expect any problems? I started watching with the regular Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and it sounded very nice. I think I noticed a layer change during The Passing of the Elves, but a little while later there was another very short pause.

Neil

Trent_N

Agent
My problems were solved with a new LOTR:Extended disc. Funny thing, the first three times I tried the new disc I got the same error, but on the fourth try it worked like a charm and has worked every time since. Either way, all is well that ends well I guess.

The DVD looked and sounded spectacular even on my meager system.

Thanks for everyone's help and sorry about double posting on this forum.

MichaelG

Second Unit
Ray, thanks for the info. I have been so busy working late every day the last month or so that I haven't really checked and updated my system in a while.

I do have the newest ATI Catalyst drivers installed, but I will re-install just to make sure. The ATI drivers have been flaky on my PC in the past, so you never know.
MOBO: Asus P4B266 512MB Crucial PC2100
I do have PowerDVD XP 4.0 and I will look for upgrades/patches for that, the MOBO and anything else. I have not installed any patches for PowerDVD.

Thanks

Craig W

Second Unit

I think this is probably the case with the player design hitting a bandwidth limitation on how much it can process at once.

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Discs 2-4 seem to work fine on my Xbox, but the Xbox takes a bit longer to recognize those discs than the other DVDs I have for some reason.

Disc 1 is a bit... weird. If I put it in the tray so that the letters are facing up, I get a dirty disc error every time. If I rotate the disc a bit and then put it back in the tray, it recognizes the disc. It seems to play fine after it is recognized, though I haven't watched the whole thing yet. I decided to watch AotC first.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have a JVC dvd player and a Marantz SR-9200 receiver. I watched some scenes last night and had absolutely no problems. For those of you who are having LFE problems on the DTS tracks, you must have a defective copy or something. The DTS track on my copy is amazing! There is so much low frequency on this dvd, I didn't even try the DD track because I was so impressed with the DTS version. I found no crackling or any kind of distortion with the DTS track.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
I cant get the movie disks to run in my dvd-rom or my regular dvd player :frowning: .

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
For argument sake I tried my Gift Pack DVD on my XBOX. I wanted to see if the problem is my Sony 560D DVD player. When I ran both tracks it was clearly evident that the LFE track is subdued on the DTS version. I would describe the bass as mild after a scene where Sauron explodes in the beginning. I firmly believe it has to do with the disk.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
When I ran both tracks it was clearly evident that the LFE track is subdued on the DTS version. I would describe the bass as mild after a scene where Sauron explodes in the beginning. I firmly believe it has to do with the disk.
Sorry, but the disc is not a likely culprit. There are too many people in this thread (and I'm one of them) who are getting robust bass on the DTS track. It's more likely a system configuration issue.

Question: Are your XBox and your Sony hooked into the same receiver or processor?

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks