What's new

Consindering to replace my new BIC F12 - $400,- Budget (1 Viewer)

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I have the following system, it's my first home theater. Speakers: 4x ProMonitor 1000 1x C/L/R 2002 My subwoofer is the BIC F12 Receiver: Denon AVR 1912 Blu-Ray Sony S580 I like my system a lot and I think the sub is powerful too, but I just can't shake the feeling that I should have gotten a stronger sub for my system. It's loud and has good Bass but its not "scaringly" powerful. Maybe I have too high hopes and my $400,- budget is too small but let me know if you have any suggestions please. I have about 2 for weeks to return the Sub for a full refund and replace it with something better. Thanks, Ray

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
By the way, I use my system for 30% Movies and 70% Music. My Music ranges from Dubstep/Electro to Heavy Metal/Classic Rock to Rap. So the Sub needs to be able to handle all of this. Ray

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If a sub can handle the strains of the LFE soundtrack on modern action movies and can handle a little dubstep. The only way to get "scary powerful" on $400 is DIY.

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Hmmm.... I have been doing lots of reading and it seems the cheapest and most powerful Sub I could get would be the PB12 from SVS. DIY sounds fun but I have no idea how to do such a thing and I'm afraid that it may take too long to do. I do have access to tools etc. but I'm afraid that I will suck at making a sub. I may just suck it up and save some money and get me a PB12 one day, but my current sub would be such a waste. Ray

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why not a kit? http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=905 Buy the sub, amp and port. Glue and brad nail it together. If you keep your budget up around the PB12 budget, then this kit will crush the PB12 - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_136&products_id=907 and it comes with everything. Not sure about putting a kit together? Here's a video of the eD guys with their AV13 kit -

raehza

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
WOW there are kits available? So you get all the pieces and just nail/glue them together and you are good to go? THAT sounds VERY intriguing..... If you would compare the "19Ov.2 Ported DIY Kit" with the SVS Subwoofer lines, which one of them would this self-made kit come closest to in performance and output? Thanks, +rep to you kind Sir Ray

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 19Ov.2 kit will have about the same output as a pair of PB12's. That takes excursion and cone area into account. Plus you wouldn't be pushing it as hard as a smaller, single sub so the distortion would be lower. That kit comes with this driver - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=37 weighing in at 42 pounds. Here's how they are tested -

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks