1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Connections on Sony DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by billVonr, Mar 20, 2010.

1. billVonr

billVonr Member

I am trying to record Formula One races with a DVD recorder (Sony GX-257). This model does not have a tuner, so I'm using my VCR for that function. I set the timer to record this past weekend's race on the SPEED Channel, but the machine shut down just as the recording started.

I called Sony tech support & they say I need a cable set top box to do timed recordings (This TV is cable ready, so I run the wall cable directly to the VCR, then use AV cords to make the Yellow/Red/White connections to the DVD recorder). I have never had problems with recordings on my VCR, nor have I needed a cable box to do these recordings.

I have been able to DVD record other TV programs on the major networks & other channels (DISC, History, etc), but not on SPEED. Additionally, I have recorded previous races on SPEED with my VCR with no problems whatsoever. Is Sony giving me a line of bull here? I called Comcast & they say there is no protection signaling involved -- only premium and Pay-Per-View channels are subject to protection signaling

Who's telling the truth here?