What's new

Connection Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Wolfdog

Auditioning
Real Name
JA
New Member as of today. I have a Panasonic Plasma TV # TC-P50X1 & a Pioneer Home Theater receiver VSX 816. I don't have cable or satellite service any longer. tired of paying for tv. using basic rooftop antenna. I can't figure out how to get the sound from my tv to run through my receiver. when i had direct tv i used red/white rca cables from the tv/satellite in to the audio out on the direct tv box. do i need to run a optical cable from the tv to the receiver ? if so how does the sound come out of the receiver ? Do i put it on the aux switch ? don't really see an audio out on the back of the tv. i usually have a knack on how to connect receivers & televisions but this has me stumped.
Thanks
WD

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes. If you no longer have the manual for that receiver, Pioneer keeps them online for 7-8 years...and that one isn't that old.
You connect the tos-link, and just like when you set up(cause I assume you had HD TV), you change "some input" to optical 1. Be it DVD, Game, Aux...or whatever.
You also need to go into the TV and there is probably some set-up...
Turning the internal speakers off. Choosing Dolby Digital as your output...so on and so forth.

Wolfdog

Auditioning
Real Name
JA
schan1269 said:
Yes. If you no longer have the manual for that receiver, Pioneer keeps them online for 7-8 years...and that one isn't that old.
You connect the tos-link, and just like when you set up(cause I assume you had HD TV), you change "some input" to optical 1. Be it DVD, Game, Aux...or whatever.
You also need to go into the TV and there is probably some set-up...
Turning the internal speakers off. Choosing Dolby Digital as your output...so on and so forth.
still have the manual for the receiver. so when i get the cable and connect from the tv to the receiver then what ? on the tv i have to leave it on tv for viewing the stations. i had hd tv with direct tv and a few over the air tv stations in my area are hd. with direct tv i had a setting for hdmi 1 and that was for the direct broadcasts. what im getting at is when i connect the cable to both the tv and receiver will the sound be there ? when i ran the sound from direct to the receiver i used the tv/satellite input on the receiver. maybe that input will work ?
thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just said it...
When you get an OPTICAL cable...
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343519030&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink
You connect it between the TV and receiver.
You go INTO set-up on the TV and choose DOLBY DIGITAL instead of PCM. (it probably just says something to the effect of Dolby Digital on/off)
While in the SAME set-up...you will have a choice to turn the internal speakers off. Turn them off. And, if you have a choice between variable/fixed...choose fixed. If you don't have that option...after the speakers are OFF...turn the volume up.
Then you go INTO set-up on the receiver...pick an input, any input...and switch it over to OPT1 or OPT 2...or 3...if you have three...just remember which one.

Wolfdog

Auditioning
Real Name
JA
thanks to everyone who steered me in the right direction , bought the cable plugged it in turned off the tv speakers and now sound is running thru the receiver. didn't have to reset anything. very simple

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks